Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Cruising on the Queen Elizabeth 2, Around the World in 91 Days, by Bernard M Patten, MD  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Twynkle

Has anyone read
   'Cruising on the Queen Elizabeth 2: Around the World in 91 Days'
    by Bernard, M Patten MD' ?
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2012, 09:29 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Malcolm

'Cruising on the Queen Elizabeth 2: Around the World in 91 Days'

I've always avoided it as I think it had got a lot of very bad reviews. I'd be interested in the views of others as well :)

Offline Twynkle

Cruising on the Queen Elizabeth 2: Around the World in 91 Days (Paperback) 
For sale at Amazon UK
Is this the book that you were all thinking of?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/1591024323/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=266239&s=books
£13.59 new, old £10.03.   

Author is a Doctor in the USA - looks as if it took 10 years from start of trip to date of publication!

Louis - you and he might have met!!

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Cruising on the Queen Elizabeth 2

Bought this book quite simply because Amazon recommended it and I had not yet read it! Amazon knows me awfully well at this stage...

An American doctor (the author) and his wife set out on the 1996 World Cruise. In order to make things more interesting for themselves, they start in a Mauretania inside cabin, and upgrade their accommodation every few weeks to a grander category until, at the end, they enjoy a penthouse suite.

Bernard Patten seems to be an easy-going person; he and Ethel greatly enjoy the cruise (and each other's company) for the full 91 days. He is a good observer and his notes brought back the atmosphere on board for me as though I had never left. Some of his stories are hilarious, and left me chuckling with him. I dare say we can all pick up a few QE2 facts here that we had not yet known -- but most of all, this is a lovely book to enjoy in place of the cruises we are missing at the moment! The qe2story shop sells the book, here :

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/theqe2storyforum-21/detail/1591024323

... where there is some more blurb about it.

It is nicely produced as well and has lots of fascinating chapter headings ("It Turned Out It Wasn't Plugged In", "They Have Entered Rubber Time", "Another Cocktail Pary -- We Can Handle It", etc.). Enjoy it!

Offline Twynkle

Isabelle, yes I agree - a good non-techie read!
It was 10 years between the author's world cruise and publication!

Maybe it's time to have another look at Farewell Queenie again,
the g-children think it's hilarious when I try not to cry!!!
(Hope I don't live to regret that comment!)

1967 QE2 Jigsaw no 1 - The Cruising QE2 - Have a go!

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The QE2 Story Jigsaws

Replies: 123
Views: 13559
What we Like about cruising today?

Started by Cruise_PrincessBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 9
Views: 1503
Why the Switch from crossing to cruising?

Started by kevinhBoard The 2000s

Replies: 4
Views: 573
Whats the future for Cruising?

Replies: 2
Views: 1059
Australian Cruising inc. QE2, Crown Monarch and Sagafjord, P&O, NCL.

Started by Chris FrameBoard Ships

Views: 908
Fab Douglas Ward Interview USA Today re whats missing in cruising today

Views: 1630