Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: PS Waverley (The World's last ocean-going Paddle Steamer)  (Read 53913 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: PS Waverley (The World's last ocean-going Paddle Steamer)
« Reply #40 on: Oct 10, 2009, 11:00 AM »
I'm looking forward to being back on board Waverley on the 18th of this month. 

The next day she is doing QM2-related trips but I'll not be joining her for those.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #41 on: Oct 10, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Hey Rob, I will be onboard on the 17th and also on the short cruise from Rothesay to Tighnabruaich on the 18th. See you there.
Robert

Offline Clyde Paddler

« Reply #42 on: Oct 11, 2009, 04:18 PM »

Tyne Turbine and I will be there on Saturday and Sunday - ex-Greenock, both days - and for the 'View QM2' cruise ex-Glasgow on Monday, before having to head back south.

Anyone else?

How about a forum get-together on the Rothesay-Tighnabruaich leg on Sunday?
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #43 on: Oct 12, 2009, 11:09 PM »
How about a forum get-together on the Rothesay-Tighnabruaich leg on Sunday?

Sounds like we might be having a bit of one already, and it will be nice to say hello, however I will be with "non QE2" friends and can't really abandon them so...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #44 on: Oct 16, 2009, 07:50 PM »
Had a SPLENDID brief trip on Waverley today!  Just 75 minutes - down to Clydebank, turning off John Browns, and back again, but it gave me time to show my 3 nephews, my sister, and my brother-in-law around the wonderful ship, had time to gawp at the engines, and had time for a sausage roll and a cuppa!

Sadly, despite BEAUTIFUL sunshine, it was quite quiet, but even if they made a loss on the day, they got a lot of new fans, and the ship was getting attention on the banks of the Clyde as she passed up and doon.

I booked online yesterday, but today kids were going for free, which was a £15 saving on last night's prices.  I might have absorbed this if I had a decent job and wasn't skint, to donate the money to the ship's upkeep, however I spoke to the purser and asked for a refund on condition that I promised to then spend it on board - which I did.  I've done a lot for the wee ship this year!

The rest of my photos are here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightbody/sets/72157622598701466/

I also spent time at 'Clydebuilt', and enjoyed the QE2 exhibition there - photos to follow!

I am starting to feel the same passion for Waverley, as I had for QE2... its growing and growing each time I go onboard.  I really enjoyed sharing her with my family today... think the nephews enjoyed it nearly as much as their computer games!
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2012, 11:30 AM by Lynda »

Online Twynkle

« Reply #45 on: Oct 18, 2009, 03:38 PM »
Lovely to see PS Waverley waiting for QM2 on the AIS

http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=232001540
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Oct 18, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Hello from waverley! Have had a lovely time meeting Robert "waverley", helen "Clydepaddler" and another Robert "tyne turbine". A bit dreich early on, but improved dramatically by the kyles.  Unfortunately i forgot my camera today!

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #47 on: Oct 18, 2009, 04:38 PM »
A bit dreich early on, but improved dramatically by the kyles.
Glad you enjoyed yourself, Rob - and I had to Google "dreich" - so I learned a new word today!
Kathy

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #48 on: Oct 18, 2009, 09:54 PM »
Well, I pressed my cameraphone into action and got some snaps today

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightbody/sets/72157622598701466/

It was a GREAT day out, and I really more of a feel for the ship, and the people involved in helping her.  It was lovely to meet Helen again, and to meet Robert for the first time and the other Robert (TyneTurbine) and to add to the complication I had my pal Rob with me too!

The dodgy music and 'hen night' atmosphere in the bar was a bit, erm, overpowering... and we were speechless when we realised that a crowd had deliberately left bags etc. at tables to "reserve" them - then got off at Rothesay, expecting the table to remain unoccupied until the ships return hours later!  The accordianist who moved around the ship was good though, the ship herself was perfect, and the Sunday Roast was excellent (as were the breakfast rolls and whiskies! - not at the same time!).

Can't wait to return to Waverley next year and hope to get some more photos of her tomorrow as she shows QM2 the Clyde.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #49 on: Oct 18, 2009, 11:56 PM »
Four Roberts, an Accordian and a 'video-phone'
Not to mention the Waverley hats...
Thank you for showing us what  a Grand Day Out it must have been!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #50 on: Oct 20, 2009, 04:39 PM »
A great weekend paddling and not a duck in sight (Rosie will know what I mean).  Great to meet a few others from the forum but apart from Helen, everyone else being a Robert. Easy to remember?

We must make this a BIG event for next year with many more from the forum group going for a paddle in 2010

Good to see the Waverley and the QM2 together for the first time on the Clyde.

Robert

Offline Tyne Turbine

« Reply #51 on: Oct 20, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Yes it was great to meet all you other Roberts/Robs.

Glad you enjoyed your trip on Waverley and are talking of another trip next year.

Offline Clyde Paddler

« Reply #52 on: Oct 25, 2009, 03:00 PM »
It was good to meet Robert (Waverley) for the first time and to see the other forum members again.

The lady with the needles is PSPS member and Waverley 'regular', Jenny Longhurst, who knits the tammies/lums/bobble-hats and other woolly items for the souvenir shop.

Saturday was definitely the best day, weather-wise ...

Here we are at Tighnabruaich on Sunday, beside the starboard paddle box

Photo by PSPS member and Waverley 'regular', Ashley Gill, with Tyne Turbine's camera.
Left to right: Rob-Robert-Helen-Robert-Rob ~ almost a palindrome ...

And a view from the shore

Yes, I think we should have many future gatherings, aboard Waverley and elsewhere.  Be there!
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2012, 11:31 AM by Lynda »
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline Waverley

« Reply #53 on: Oct 25, 2009, 04:48 PM »
It was good to meet you too Helen. Here is another group photo from that day.
Robert

Online Twynkle

« Reply #54 on: Nov 04, 2009, 09:10 AM »
Well done, Waverley!

Thanks to magwaus.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #55 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:22 AM »
Just landed on board my mac!

'....Waverley & Balmoral Winter - News 2009

In this edition you can take a sneak preview of next years timetable, and find out how you can save money on your 2010 sailings aboard this Sunday Times nominated “Top 3 Nostalgic Journeys in the World!” attraction.

2010 brings the 70th Anniversary of Dunkirk and with Waverley being named after one of the ships evacuating troops there - next year we are Commemorating this historic event - look out for nominated cruises in each sailing area.

You can BOOK NOW at last years fares for WAVERLEY’s annual sailings. Waverley will sail: in the magical Western Isles - May 28 - June 1; Bristol Channel - June 5 - June 20; Clyde June 25 - August 30; South Coast - Sept 3 - Sept 23; Thames - Sept 24 - Oct 10; Clyde - Oct 15 - Oct 16. BALMORAL will start her season in the Irish Sea in mid June and will sail in all her usual haunts throughout the summer months – with perhaps a visit to a few more unusual ones!

SAVE up to 20% on your 2010 sailings!....'
For further info - http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/

Wishing we could read, someday soon, - 'accompanying QE2 on her return to UK inshore waters....'
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2009, 11:24 AM by Twynkle »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #56 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:31 PM »
Picture 5 here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/glasgowandwestscotland/hi/people_and_places/nature/newsid_8418000/8418756.stm - has a nice one of Waverley in the snow.  Quite a contrast to the posts earlier in this topic!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #57 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:36 PM »
So nice to see her there. Does she stay there all winter? Is she visitable, or just completely closed down?

What does being completely closed down (if that is the case) do to her when she needs to restart in spring?

Online Twynkle

« Reply #58 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:54 PM »
Yes - Rob, Thank you.
I wonder too, Isabelle -
Do you think she got a feed of anti-freeze before being tied up,
so that her precious pipes and boiler will remain patent?

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #59 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Hey Rosie,

Waverley's boilers remain operational in shore mode during the winter layup to preserve the internal fabric of the ship from condensation etc etc. Her boilers have been inspected and are OK. The port paddle shaft which was a source of concern in 2008 has also been given a clean bill of health. All that remains is for those of us who volunteer on her during the winter to get on there and start preparing her for another season.

Incidentaly her owning company Waverley Steam Navigation Co Ltd celebrates its 35th year in existence in 2010 - the ship has now sailed longer under the WSN flag than her original owners!!

All the best

Gav

Ocean Liners models

Started by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2Board Sea Shanties

Replies: 41
Views: 13412
Queen Elizabeth World Cruise 2016 HKG to DBX

Started by Cunarder ManBoard Past Events

Replies: 1
Views: 1080
QE2 1984 Fire - Adrift in the Atlantic Ocean

Started by TwynkleBoard The 1980s

Replies: 13
Views: 3116
World's fastest ship (wef MAR17)

Started by BorisBoard Ships

Replies: 8
Views: 576
QE2 World Cruise Sydney-Singapore, 2008.

Started by bswanBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 4
Views: 1790
Waverley turns 70

Started by Clydebuilt1971Board PS Waverley

Replies: 7
Views: 1008