Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: PS Waverley (The World's last ocean-going Paddle Steamer)  (Read 53976 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: PS Waverley (The World's last ocean-going Paddle Steamer)
« Reply #140 on: Sep 28, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Waverley is making her way up and down the River Thames
Might anyone be thinking of coming to Whitstable on her next trip there (return London),
before she sails back to Whitstable again on Saturday, 11th October?
http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/plan-your-trip/the-thames/

Scroll down to find images here
https://www.facebook.com/liquidhighway?fref=nf

« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2014, 04:21 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #141 on: Oct 20, 2015, 09:10 PM »
Excellent programme about Paddle-steamers the River Clyde and all - on BBC Four now, and repeated 2.30 am - 3.30am in the early morning (Wednesday)
Sorry that it is UK only.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06jnzjx
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2015, 09:17 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #142 on: Oct 20, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Also... there's three pages all about Waverley on pages 74 to 76 in Steam Railway magazine issue 446, which is on sale until 5th November.  If you can't find it in your local newsagent by that date, the phone number given in it for obtaining back issues is 01858 438884.

Why is it in a railway magazine?  Well... just consider who Waverley was built for... and she is steam powered...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #143 on: Oct 21, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Weekend past was Waverley's last of the 2015 season.

I think given the weather that this season will have been marginal at best but hopefully the south of border sailings and the healthy numbers last weekend will have helped offset some of any shortfalls of the early season.

Caledonian MacBrayne are currently running the Wemyss Bay / Rothesay service from Gourock as WB is out of use until Easter due to essential engineering upgrade works so on Sunday I jumped on board mv Bute at Gourock and headed to Rothesay to join Waverley for her short jaunt to Tighnabruaich, Kyles of Bute.

The weather was excellent and numbers were exceptional (the Q was three deep and stretching off of Largs Pier onto the street we were told)

I had a pleasant wee sail - pics below as follows:

(1) Waverley alongside Tighnabruaich Pier - this shot has been taken so many times over the years but I never tire of looking at it!
(2) We have just navigated the buoyed channel (nicknamed "the narrows") which joins the West and East Kyles of Bute - as you can see from the red and green buoys in the background it certainly is narrow!! We now head down the East Kyle back to Rothesay.
(3) A view of Waverley's cruiser style stern proudly proclaiming her Glasgow registry - which she has carried since she was built - as she undertakes her passenger transfer at Rothesay. As I've mentioned elsewhere it makes me feel proud to have been involved with this plucky wee vessel and to have joined her on her travels well beyond the Clyde route she was originally designed to serve.
(4) Passenger transfer completed Waverley cants round the knuckle of the pier so she is pointing the correct way and after three blasts of her steam whistle she moves astern from the pier out into the middle of Rothesay Bay.

And so her 40th anniversary season comes to a close. I don't think anyone back in the fledgling year of 1975 would have thought that she would still be sailing in preservation in 2015 - restored to 1947 condition and still going strong.

She is now tucked up safely on her winter berth at Glasgow Science Centre where once again another frenetic winter of overhaul, survey and restoration will take place before she emerges once again for her Western Isles cruises in May 2016.

Her master has given notice so there will be a different person(s) on the bridge next season but the show must go on - there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer......

I love that boat - my heart skips a beat every time I see her and like QE2 she represents all that is / was great about Great Britain and Clydebuilt.

:)

Gav

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2015, 10:29 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #144 on: Oct 21, 2015, 02:13 PM »
Thanks, Gav, for the update and the photos - marvelous !  Very well said about Waverley and QE2 !  Three cheers for them both !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #145 on: Oct 21, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Good that there was fine weather for her final cruise of the year and that so many people made the effort to be onboard.  We were only onboard once this year for the sail down the Clyde to see QM2 in May and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. 

Gav, Who is responsible for the Winter overhaul? is it all volunteers or a mix of volunteers and people commissioned to do the work?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #146 on: Oct 22, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Hi Lynda,

It is a mix of volunteers (which myself and Shelagh used to be), the ship's own engineering staff and sub contractors (all dependant on the work required)

In the past BAE systems apprentices and cadets from the Nautical College have assists with certain projects - eg BAE Systems attended to the steering engine last winter.

I can dig out some work party photos I have and put them in the "techy matters" topic if anyone is interested!

Gav
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2015, 01:09 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #147 on: Jun 13, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Cant think of anywhere else to put this - came across a shot of Waverley passing a pebble grey hulled QE2 at Southampton in Sept 1982.

QE2 was still four years away from becoming a motor vessel and Waverley was still eighteen years away from the beginning of her two stage heritage rebuild!

Credit to Stuart Cameron

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018, 08:45 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #148 on: Jun 13, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Brilliant picture thanks for posting Gav. 

We can move if necessary but for now I think this topic is fine for the photo and we can link from other topics as well. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #149 on: Apr 22, 2019, 01:04 PM »
BBC4 (TV)
Wednesday, 24th April,
Michael Portillo in Great British Railway Journeys
....From "Greeenock he sets sail in the World's last seagoing paddle steamer"!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #150 on: Apr 22, 2019, 02:57 PM »
What a great photo, Gav !  Thanks for sharing !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #151 on: Apr 22, 2019, 07:10 PM »
BBC4 (TV)
Wednesday, 24th April,
Michael Portillo in Great British Railway Journeys
....From "Greeenock he sets sail in the World's last seagoing paddle steamer"!

Thanks for the tip-off - I can't remember - is this a repeat or not?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #152 on: Apr 22, 2019, 11:25 PM »
Looking online....

BBC4, Wednesday 24th, 19.30, and it's listed as series 6, episode 3 of 20, Repeat.

However, the Waverley appearance is listed as being in the previous episode, series 2 number 2 of 20, which is not currently scheduled to be shown.

Listings guide here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xgqxy/episodes/guide

It'll update when it gets scheduled.  Meanwhile, Rob - I've sent you a screenshot of what the page shown right now.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2019, 11:30 PM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #153 on: Apr 24, 2019, 08:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip-off - I can't remember - is this a repeat or not?

Hoping very much that you saw it!!
Think there'll be one or two things that might be familiar ;)

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #154 on: Apr 25, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Hi Folks,

Waverley's drydocking is progressing well - it looks like she will maybe exit on Sunday.

In the meantime here is a pictorial account posted on the PSPS Website of her tow from Glasgow to James Watt Dock, Greenock on Friday 12th April and a subsequent update on progress.

ps Waverley - PSPS Website

Looking forward to the tour on Sat 4th May - its been a long time since I've been on board post dry dock!!

Gav

Offline No 736

« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Terrible news for Waverley and her supporters.
Have just read on Waverley Excursions that her Clyde sailings in May, June and July will not take place due to extended boiler work.
Guessing this may effect the tour on may 4th.?

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2019, 09:48 PM »
Hi folks,

I am in regular contact with Waverley management - whilst this is a devastating blow tomorrow’s tour will proceed as planned.

I really feel for those involved with the ship at the moment- testing times but can I reach out to all on this forum. QE2 and Waverley have one important thing in common. They are Clydebuilt- let’s channel our strength and support for the worlds last seagoing paddle steamer. If our beloved liner could she would.

#Clydebuiltandproud

Gav
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:18 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Devastating news for Waverley and her team ( and all her fans).
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2019, 08:33 AM »
Gav, what sort of support did you have in mind?

Waverley 2015

Started by Clydebuilt1971Board PS Waverley

Replies: 11
Views: 3453
Life on the Ocean Waves

Started by Louis De SousaBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1171
Waverley Updates - 2018

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 90
Views: 6009