Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE2 "Race" Restaurant Chair by Robert Heritage  (Read 16329 times)

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

Re: QE2 "Race" Restaurant Chair by Robert Heritage
« Reply #40 on: Oct 03, 2017, 06:10 PM »
Never came across this topic until today, just looking at them from pictures I really like the design, they remind of some of the furniture that I have seen around the various thrift shops that I have visited over the years from the same era, but they are really unique and have aged really well.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2017, 03:26 PM »
If you look back to reply 8, you'll see my post when my QE2 Robert Heritage "Race" chair arrived.  It lived in the cupboard of my flat for a couple of years, then in a storage unit for a couple of years, and then when we moved last January, it joined the other chairs at the dining table.  But the pink fabric had to go, even though I liked it because it was from the ship and in fact I'm sure it smelt of the ship.  But now it's leather, as original as I could get it to of one of the two possible options.

Unfortunately it's not quite perfect and the arms are to be redone in a few weeks : she said it looked like the wooden frame had been altered over the years, and with the switch back to the leather needs reshaped...

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2017, 03:40 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #42 on: Dec 15, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Wonderful! And I love the way you are restoring it back to its original condition.

Enjoy it! But I understand they are not meant to be comfortable over more than a leisurely meal  ;) ...

trevorc

« Reply #43 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:54 PM »
If you look back to reply 8, you'll see my post when my QE2 Robert Heritage "Race" chair arrived.  It lived in the cupboard of my flat for a couple of years, then in a storage unit for a couple of years, and then when we moved last January, it joined the other chairs at the dining table.  But the pink fabric had to go, even though I liked it because it was from the ship and in fact I'm sure it smelt of the ship.  But now it's leather, as original as I could get it to of one of the two possible options.

Unfortunately it's not quite perfect and the arms are to be redone in a few weeks : she said it looked like the wooden frame had been altered over the years, and with the switch back to the leather needs reshaped...
Looks great, Rob!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:29 PM »
The print version of today's Daily Mail has a piece on the QE2 Restaurant Chair.

Does anyone have a copy to confirm?

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Checked my Daily Mail today..Dont see any mention of the Race chair
It might be a surprise to learn l do read the Daily Mail.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:12 PM »
Checked my Daily Mail today..Dont see any mention of the Race chair
It might be a surprise to learn l do read the Daily Mail.

I'm not surprised!

This was the reason I thought it was in the paper

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20180202/283931703183060

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:16 PM »
Scottish editions of the national press often have different stories than the English editions - is the Pressreader service picking it up from the English edition?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline PaulInuk

• passenger and crew at sametime
  • Mauretania Diner (Late Sitting)
« Reply #48 on: Apr 15, 2018, 12:06 PM »
auction is doing the catalouge now, i will let you know when its online sale is feb 25th it will be online before that date.these chairs are upholsterd in leather vendor said they came from the qe2 but we dont  have any provanounce [i cant spell]i like comingon here but i also get sad/tearfull of no qe2 anymore
I forgot this, the chairs I think, they made £160 ,
paul

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #49 on: Oct 13, 2018, 11:44 AM »
It felt funny seeing "my" chair at the V&A in Dundee a couple of weeks ago.

Since I last posted here, I had my chair redone, and its now as close to perfect as I can get it.  It is in the kitchen, and every time anyone visits for the first time, I have to explain what it is (because it looks so out of place).

Offline Andrew Winter

« Reply #50 on: Jul 01, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Hello to all. I thought I'd add to this thread as a new member. ;D

My father worked at Race in the 60's. Unknowingly to myself until last year, he had an original build Heritage chair that had been in his possession in the original brown leather since that time. 

It unfortunately has a tear, but apart from that looks in sound condition. I'm going to give it a good, careful clean and decide where to go from there, but as a collector of various vintage instruments will most probably leave it totally original.

As a lover of MCM and 60's furniture, it's a wonderful looking and designed chair and this may well be either one of the earlier test models, or, possibly, a chair that didn't make QC.

I'll update here as I progress. Enjoy! 😊
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2020, 11:06 AM by Andrew Winter »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #51 on: Jul 02, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum Andrew and thanks for posted the picture.  It is fantastic to see the chair in it's original condition after all these years. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #52 on: Jul 03, 2020, 12:51 AM »
Welcome to The Forum, Andrew, and I will be looking forward to updates ! It is an amazing looking chair !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #53 on: Jul 03, 2020, 02:25 PM »
Hello to all. I thought I'd add to this thread as a new member. ;D

My father worked at Race in the 60's. Unknowingly to myself until last year, he had an original build Heritage chair that had been in his possession in the original brown leather since that time. 

It unfortunately has a tear, but apart from that looks in sound condition. I'm going to give it a good, careful clean and decide where to go from there, but as a collector of various vintage instruments will most probably leave it totally original.

As a lover of MCM and 60's furniture, it's a wonderful looking and designed chair and this may well be either one of the earlier test models, or, possibly, a chair that didn't make QC.

I'll update here as I progress. Enjoy! 😊

WELCOME and THANK YOU!  Would I be right to guess that a Google search brought you here?  If so, mission accomplished!

I am sitting on my QE2 Race chair just now - as you may have read above, I have had it reupholstered in one of the original colours of leathers that were used - dark brown - as close as I could get anyway, based on the colour photos I could find.  Mine however has been recovered multiple times on board the ship, before I finally had it recovered.  The upholsterer said it was very difficult to do, and she had to do it twice, partly due to damage caused during the previous recoverings.

My point is....  If your chair has never been "messed with" PLEASE can you take some fairly detailed photos of the various bits where the leather folds, meets and overaps?  I think mine is nearly right, but I'm never quite sure!  It could also be a great reference for future people coming here for the same reason - they can even show them to their upholster.

Do you have any other period photos of the chairs?  Fascinated to see anything!

Thank you, and welcome again.

- Rob