Author Topic: QE2 "Race" Restaurant Chair by Robert Heritage  (Read 24571 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

QE2 "Race" Restaurant Chair by Robert Heritage
« on: Sep 08, 2009, 01:39 AM »
So the Race chairs lasted there all all that time...

At the end, they were only left in the Princess Grill (and labelled underneath "Britannia Restaurant") :

QE2 Britannia Restaurant by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

More pictures here :

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=race%20chair&w=55206992%40N00
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2012, 05:31 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Kathy M.

Re: QE2 Race Chair by Robert Heritage
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2009, 01:47 AM »
I just dragged out my photos from 1988 - those were the chairs in Mauretania; but I also found another photo that shows "Club Lido" - must have been the club with the light up floor that I remember?  I just have a photo of the sign outside - no photos from the inside (I was probably too busy trying to stay on the "moving" dance floor - couldn't take photos!)
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 09:20 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Kathy

Offline Michael Gallagher

Re: QE2 Race Chairs by Robert Heritage
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2009, 09:21 AM »
Note from the Forum Administrator - this text below may not be used outwith this forum without permission.

For those interested - here is my research into the Race Chairs.

QE2 RACE RESTAURANT CHAIR, Designed by Robert Heritage for Race Furniture

When QE2 entered service the ship featured 1,300 Race restaurant chairs; the chairs actually turned out to be one of the most complex development programmes ever undertaken by a British chair manufacturer. Designed by Robert Heritage for Race Furniture, the chair’s development also required the active co-operation or research personnel in seven different companies.

Perhaps the biggest single problem was producing the pre-formed plywood shells and liners. The right radius of the two fronts and return bends on the back shell demanded manufacturing techniques different from any previously used. Alesbury Bros, who were given the job, said afterwards that the contract vastly increased their technical knowledge. Blemish-free plywood shells had to be made to an unusually high degree of accuracy, more than half faced with Formica on the outer surfaces – a task which required the design and manufacture of special post-forming jigs and heaters. The complex curves meant that the plywood and the laminate shells had to match exactly to be bonded together without damage.

The British Aluminium Company, who made the chairs’ striking two-legged under frame, also had problems. They had to cut three dies before they could satisfactorily produce the H profile of the extruded aluminium legs.

Certainly the most surprising aspect of the chair’s production was the fact that the metal legs and feet were glued together with Araldite. It was the first time that adhesive had been used to secure such a critical joint in furniture, yet after long and detailed tests both Race and the Furniture Industry Research Association were satisfied that the joints had immense strength.

Because of the sharply turned arch shape of both seat and back, the cushioning units needed a lip that would absorb the outer rims of both shells; moulding such a unit promised to be extremely difficult. Using hand-built prototypes, and after constant adjustments, Dunlopillo devised a method of moulding the units flat and at the same time produce cushioning that fitted into the shells without creasing.

In prototype form it was discovered that the chair’s polished aluminium base developed too much friction to glide freely over a heavy pile carpet and there was some danger of it tipping over when pushed back from the table. The suggested solution was to insert small pads of polytetrafluoroethlene resin (PTFE) in recesses cast in the chair’s feet to provide free-gliding action. The problem of sticking the non-stick pad to the frame was passed over to Richard Klinger, development engineers who came up with the bondable-backed PTFE called Duplex. 

When QE2 entered service in 1969 the chairs were used in the Columbia Restaurant (Quarter Deck) and Britannia Restaurant (Upper Deck). The chairs were noted for their provision of great comfort to diners and practicality with regard to cleaning.

By 2008 just over 100 of these special chairs were being used in the Princess Grill.

COLUMBIA RESTAURANT /
MAURETANIA RESTAURANT

1969 Upholstered in brown.

1972   The chairs were reupholstered in cream.

1977   Redundant chairs (of the same design) from the former Britannia Restaurant were relocated to the Columbia Restaurant and recovered in white hide to replace damaged Columbia seating.

At some point the chairs were redone in a different shade of cream.

1984   The chairs were redone in pinky beige to match the new colour scheme of the room.

1994   The existing chairs were re-upholstered in cream.

1996   The Race chairs were removed forever.

BRITANNIA RESTURANT /
TABLES OF THE WORLD /
MAURETANIA RESTAURANT

1969         Upholstered in red and white

1972   Additional chairs in the same colour scheme were introduced as part if the restaurant expansion.

1977   The chairs were redone in a variety of colours to match the new theme of the restaurant when the room became Tables of the World. Colours included: dark red, blue velvet and green.

1986 / 87   All chairs ere re-covered in rosy multi-hues that complemented the burnt orange and dusty rose pink and soft peach window frames.

1992         The chairs were re-done in beige.

1994         The Race chairs were removed forever.

THE GRILL ROOM /
PRINCESS GRILL

1972   The Race chairs were introduced into the space of The Grill Room when this space became part of the expanded Columbia Restaurant. The chairs were upholstered in cream.

1976   The chairs were redone in burgundy red when the space became the Princess Grill.

1996   The Grill received its first significant colour change since QE2’s introduction in 1969, with blue being introduced to complement the burgundy red colour scheme; the chairs were redone in blue.

1999   The dominating colour scheme of the Grill became red again and the chairs were recovered in red.

2006   The chairs were re-upholstered in a patterned red fabric.

QUEENS GRILL LOUNGE

1972   Several of the Race chairs were placed in this room (upholstered in cream) for a time.

They were removed in the 1970s.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 09:22 AM by Lynda Bradford »

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2009, 12:31 PM »
Flagship, great thanks for that. Your erudition and the depth of your research and record-keeping is benefiting all of us here.

I wonder how the chairs survived all those changes? Did some of the moulding have to be re-made?

And what happened those that were removed? Do they appear on the market from time to time?

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 09:30 AM by Lynda Bradford »

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2009, 01:04 PM »
Thank you Isabelle. The chairs were incredibly well built and seemed to struggle one with all the changes. A few seemed to get a bit wobbly at the end but overall they survived well. Those that left the ship I suspect now grace a few homes. Indeed my chair in my QE2 room is a Race chair - a surprise birthday present this year purchased from Ebay. The fabric dates from the 1996 - 1996 incarnation of the Caronia Restaurant  (my favourite period of that room). I saw a set of six Race chairs on Ebay a few months back. So - they're scattered far and wide! Michael
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 09:31 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QE2 Race Chairs by Robert Heritage
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2010, 01:12 AM »
See attached
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 09:32 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 "Race" Restaurant Chair by Robert Heritage
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:17 PM »
QE2 Race Restaurant Chair in original finishes

QE2 Chairs, 1969 by Visual Resources @ MMU, on Flickr
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:32 PM »
By my calculations the oldest chairs lasted 37 years! Thats pretty darn good! At my hotel we are lucky to get 10!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:45 PM »
The reason I was updating this topic tonight, is because I wanted to boast that I'd just got my own QE2 Restaurant Chair!

It arrived last week.  As soon as I sat in it, I could feel myself back in the Princess Grill in my smart clothes waiting on a superb dinner!

Image attached.  Its sort of pinky-beige and I think is from either the Mauretania before its refit or from the Columbia before it became Caronia... not sure.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Looks like from the Maurentaina Restaurant 87-94 version

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2012, 06:54 PM »
It might be Mauritania, but its not 87 vintage.  In 87 they had a funky marbled pinky-purble thing going on - it was hideous!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:18 PM »
Just looked through photos your right but those chairs got changed in the 1990 refit.And looks like the one you have.

« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2012, 08:58 PM »
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3952.msg42414.html#msg42414

Looks like there are quite a number of Race chairs with this cover between 2 and 4 mins of this video -- have a look!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2012, 11:04 PM »
The reason I was updating this topic tonight, is because I wanted to boast that I'd just got my own QE2 Restaurant Chair!

It arrived last week.  As soon as I sat in it, I could feel myself back in the Princess Grill in my smart clothes waiting on a superb dinner!

Image attached.  Its sort of pinky-beige and I think is from either the Mauretania before its refit or from the Columbia before it became Caronia... not sure.

Sounds very good indeed Rob!

« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2013, 09:53 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2012, 11:28 PM »
Great purchase Rob, Now just think who has rested there before you...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline PaulInuk

« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:10 PM »
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3952.msg42414.html#msg42414

Looks like there are quite a number of Race chairs with this cover between 2 and 4 mins of this video -- have a look!
    WE have 6chairs for sale where i work but there in brown leather vendor said they came of  the qe2
paul

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #16 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:48 PM »
    WE have 6chairs for sale where i work but there in brown leather vendor said they came of  the qe2

Hi Paul, can you give us any more information so that if any of us are interested, we can find out more, see photos, and see a price or whatever?

Thanks!

- Rob

Offline PaulInuk

« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:06 PM »
auction is doing the catalouge now, i will let you know when its online sale is feb 25th it will be online before that date.these chairs are upholsterd in leather vendor said they came from the qe2 but we dont  have any provanounce [i cant spell]i like comingon here but i also get sad/tearfull of no qe2 anymore
paul

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Reading this topic about the QE2 Race chairs brings back memories of seeing these chairs in the Princess Grill.  At the time I just loved the design of the chairs but I wish had had the advantage of knowing the history as outlined by Michael in reply #2. 

Have a look at the photos that Isabelle has posted in Flickr in the link at the start of this topic, which is a good reminder  of the chairs in the Princess Grill. 
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3966.0.html
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2014, 04:11 PM »
They really were a very special design - I would have loved to sit in one whilst enjoying a nice meal!
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2014, 04:25 PM »
They are indeed great looking chairs !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2014, 04:29 PM »
I wounder if there are any around for sale? I'm sure they'd be expensive though.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2014, 04:40 PM »
I wounder if there are any around for sale? I'm sure they'd be expensive though.

I have found an answer to my question. There is one for sale on ebay for £360 ($600).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-1969-Cunard-QE2-Britannia-Restaurant-Chair-by-Robert-Heritage-RDI-/111317886103?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19eb102497
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 04:44 PM by Adam Hodson »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2014, 02:08 PM »
There are a couple of photos in the Columbia Restaurant topic that show the QE2 "Race" chairs looking rather splendid. See reply #1
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=3925.new#2
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Hi Lynda - Thank you very much for the link to the photos.  The chairs indeed look to be splendid !  QE2 herself is just so splendid, especially in her original décor.  June  :)

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2014, 03:50 PM »
The chairs indeed look to be splendid !

Yes they suit the room very well too!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Jun 14, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Note from the Forum Administrator - this text below may not be used outwith this forum without permission.

For those interested - here is my research into the Race Chairs.

Michael,

What is the number of chairs remaining on board when she left service?

Thanks,

- Rob

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #28 on: Jun 14, 2014, 06:35 PM »
There are two on ebay right now for sale.
One in Scotland  ;), and one overseas...

« Reply #29 on: Aug 16, 2014, 11:49 AM »
Rob

I would say there were probably between 100 and 150 on board when she retired.

Michael

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #30 on: Aug 18, 2014, 05:50 PM »
You don't suppose the two chairs on e-bay are from QE2 after she arrived in Dubai !?

Offline cameroa

« Reply #31 on: Jun 30, 2015, 11:09 PM »
I have just taken delivery of this gorgeous 'Race' chair from QE2's original Columbia restaurant. Can any one help me date the upholstery?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #32 on: Jul 01, 2015, 04:43 PM »
That is great that you are the proud new owner !!   :)

« Reply #33 on: Jul 01, 2015, 05:10 PM »
I have just taken delivery of this gorgeous 'Race' chair from QE2's original Columbia restaurant. Can any one help me date the upholstery?

Michael Gallagher's post above will probably help you with this question :) .

You've got yourself a treasure there! Will you be sitting on it?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #34 on: Jul 01, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Have you read Michael's post about the Race Chairs in post number 2 of this board
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3966.0.html
www.qe2event.com

Offline cameroa

« Reply #35 on: Jul 01, 2015, 06:17 PM »
I love it, I have pondered long and hard about buying one when they become available and thought as I was redundant from work at the end of March, I thought why not!! have sat on it a few times already and had forgotten how comfortable these chairs are. It will be well looked after. Not sure if I will have it recovered, may just clean it up and polish up the aluminium frame a bit. I don't want to Change it's originality. Many thanks for the comments and pointing me to Michael Gallagher's post ;D

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #36 on: Jul 01, 2015, 09:01 PM »
And just think how many have sat in that seat, and what they have ate,and where they have been...
Well done on a great purchase.

Offline cameroa

« Reply #37 on: Jul 01, 2015, 11:15 PM »
Thank you Myles. I think it will be (maybe) my last acquisition of Cunard QE2 memorabilia. I love the chair and it reminds me of my happy times, good friends, good conversation and consumtion of the most stunning food & wine served by great crew! That chair is almost as good as a photo album 😔

Online Trevor Harris

« Reply #38 on: Sep 18, 2017, 01:13 AM »
These chairs are a favorite of mine.. wish I had one..
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline PaulInuk

« Reply #39 on: Oct 03, 2017, 01:53 PM »
auction is doing the catalouge now, i will let you know when its online sale is feb 25th it will be online before that date.these chairs are upholsterd in leather vendor said they came from the qe2 but we dont  have any provanounce [i cant spell]i like comingon here but i also get sad/tearfull of no qe2 anymore

The chairs sold but not for a lot of money £160 I think
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2017, 03:57 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
paul

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #40 on: Oct 03, 2017, 06:10 PM »
Never came across this topic until today, just looking at them from pictures I really like the design, they remind of some of the furniture that I have seen around the various thrift shops that I have visited over the years from the same era, but they are really unique and have aged really well.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2017, 03:26 PM »
If you look back to reply 8, you'll see my post when my QE2 Robert Heritage "Race" chair arrived.  It lived in the cupboard of my flat for a couple of years, then in a storage unit for a couple of years, and then when we moved last January, it joined the other chairs at the dining table.  But the pink fabric had to go, even though I liked it because it was from the ship and in fact I'm sure it smelt of the ship.  But now it's leather, as original as I could get it to of one of the two possible options.

Unfortunately it's not quite perfect and the arms are to be redone in a few weeks : she said it looked like the wooden frame had been altered over the years, and with the switch back to the leather needs reshaped...

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2017, 03:40 PM by Rob Lightbody »

« Reply #42 on: Dec 15, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Wonderful! And I love the way you are restoring it back to its original condition.

Enjoy it! But I understand they are not meant to be comfortable over more than a leisurely meal  ;) ...

Online Trevor Harris

« Reply #43 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:54 PM »
If you look back to reply 8, you'll see my post when my QE2 Robert Heritage "Race" chair arrived.  It lived in the cupboard of my flat for a couple of years, then in a storage unit for a couple of years, and then when we moved last January, it joined the other chairs at the dining table.  But the pink fabric had to go, even though I liked it because it was from the ship and in fact I'm sure it smelt of the ship.  But now it's leather, as original as I could get it to of one of the two possible options.

Unfortunately it's not quite perfect and the arms are to be redone in a few weeks : she said it looked like the wooden frame had been altered over the years, and with the switch back to the leather needs reshaped...
Looks great, Rob!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:29 PM »
The print version of today's Daily Mail has a piece on the QE2 Restaurant Chair.

Does anyone have a copy to confirm?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Checked my Daily Mail today..Dont see any mention of the Race chair
It might be a surprise to learn l do read the Daily Mail.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:12 PM »
Checked my Daily Mail today..Dont see any mention of the Race chair
It might be a surprise to learn l do read the Daily Mail.

I'm not surprised!

This was the reason I thought it was in the paper

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20180202/283931703183060

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:16 PM »
Scottish editions of the national press often have different stories than the English editions - is the Pressreader service picking it up from the English edition?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline PaulInuk

« Reply #48 on: Apr 15, 2018, 12:06 PM »
I forgot this, the chairs I think, they made £160 ,
paul

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #49 on: Oct 13, 2018, 11:44 AM »
It felt funny seeing "my" chair at the V&A in Dundee a couple of weeks ago.

Since I last posted here, I had my chair redone, and its now as close to perfect as I can get it.  It is in the kitchen, and every time anyone visits for the first time, I have to explain what it is (because it looks so out of place).

Offline Andrew Winter

« Reply #50 on: Jul 01, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Hello to all. I thought I'd add to this thread as a new member. ;D

My father worked at Race in the 60's. Unknowingly to myself until last year, he had an original build Heritage chair that had been in his possession in the original brown leather since that time. 

It unfortunately has a tear, but apart from that looks in sound condition. I'm going to give it a good, careful clean and decide where to go from there, but as a collector of various vintage instruments will most probably leave it totally original.

As a lover of MCM and 60's furniture, it's a wonderful looking and designed chair and this may well be either one of the earlier test models, or, possibly, a chair that didn't make QC.

I'll update here as I progress. Enjoy! 😊
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2020, 11:06 AM by Andrew Winter »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #51 on: Jul 02, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum Andrew and thanks for posted the picture.  It is fantastic to see the chair in it's original condition after all these years. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #52 on: Jul 03, 2020, 12:51 AM »
Welcome to The Forum, Andrew, and I will be looking forward to updates ! It is an amazing looking chair !  :)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #53 on: Jul 03, 2020, 02:25 PM »
Hello to all. I thought I'd add to this thread as a new member. ;D

My father worked at Race in the 60's. Unknowingly to myself until last year, he had an original build Heritage chair that had been in his possession in the original brown leather since that time. 

It unfortunately has a tear, but apart from that looks in sound condition. I'm going to give it a good, careful clean and decide where to go from there, but as a collector of various vintage instruments will most probably leave it totally original.

As a lover of MCM and 60's furniture, it's a wonderful looking and designed chair and this may well be either one of the earlier test models, or, possibly, a chair that didn't make QC.

I'll update here as I progress. Enjoy! 😊

WELCOME and THANK YOU!  Would I be right to guess that a Google search brought you here?  If so, mission accomplished!

I am sitting on my QE2 Race chair just now - as you may have read above, I have had it reupholstered in one of the original colours of leathers that were used - dark brown - as close as I could get anyway, based on the colour photos I could find.  Mine however has been recovered multiple times on board the ship, before I finally had it recovered.  The upholsterer said it was very difficult to do, and she had to do it twice, partly due to damage caused during the previous recoverings.

My point is....  If your chair has never been "messed with" PLEASE can you take some fairly detailed photos of the various bits where the leather folds, meets and overaps?  I think mine is nearly right, but I'm never quite sure!  It could also be a great reference for future people coming here for the same reason - they can even show them to their upholster.

Do you have any other period photos of the chairs?  Fascinated to see anything!

Thank you, and welcome again.

- Rob

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #54 on: Mar 26, 2021, 05:42 PM »
Michael Gallagher details the years for upholstery changes in post 3. 

I have never seen photos of the Race Chairs in blue, from 1996 to 1999.  Does anyone have photos of the chairs in blue or the Princes Grill decor at this time?  It would be good to see photos.

THE GRILL ROOM / PRINCESS GRILL

1972   The Race chairs were introduced into the space of The Grill Room when this space became part of the expanded Columbia Restaurant. The chairs were upholstered in cream.

1976   The chairs were redone in burgundy red when the space became the Princess Grill.

1996   The Grill received its first significant colour change since QE2’s introduction in 1969, with blue being introduced to complement the burgundy red colour scheme; the chairs were redone in blue.

1999   The dominating colour scheme of the Grill became red again and the chairs were recovered in red.

2006   The chairs were re-upholstered in a patterned red fabric.

www.qe2event.com

« Reply #55 on: Mar 26, 2021, 05:49 PM »
Blue chairs in the Princess Grill. I think they looked smart!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #56 on: Mar 26, 2021, 08:20 PM »
Thanks Michael, amazing to see these photos of the Princess Grill.  I was onboard QE2 in 1997 but not in the Princess Grill.  The first cruise in the Princess Grill was 2004 and by that time the chairs were recovered in red.

The first picture really shows the contrast of the blue chairs and the red carpet. 
www.qe2event.com

Talks at Fairfield Heritage Centre, Govan during 2015.

Started by Clydebuilt1971Board Sea Shanties

Replies: 1
Views: 1559
Last post Apr 10, 2015, 02:38 PM
by June Ingram
The Mauretania model on board QE2 (Heritage Trail)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Artwork and Heritage on board QE2

Replies: 27
Views: 14594
Last post Oct 07, 2015, 04:24 PM
by Louis De Sousa
The Helena Barynina Hernmarck Tapestries (Heritage Trail)

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Artwork and Heritage on board QE2

Replies: 3
Views: 2222
Last post Oct 14, 2018, 03:00 PM
by Michael Gallagher
The QE2 Heritage Collection in Dubai

Started by TwynkleBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 0
Views: 937
Last post Apr 10, 2018, 09:39 AM
by Twynkle
Robert Knowles, QE2 Photographer 1979

Started by knowlesvideoBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 28
Views: 12653
Last post Nov 09, 2013, 02:40 PM
by SaraSteiner