Author Topic: QE2's Funnel 1987 -  (Read 5864 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

QE2's Funnel 1987 -
« on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:38 AM »
One of the consequences (and most noticeable external change) of the re-engining of QE2 was the new, thicker funnel which had to be installed to accommodate the new exhaust pipes and air ductwork from the new nine diesel engines and the two auxiliary boiler. This would entail replacing the whole of the inside of the funnel so the new exhaust gas pipes and silencers for the nine diesel engines and space ventilation ducting were all fitted into a metal framework prefabricated ashore in two parts and then assembled on the ship. There was a mere ‘hand’s breadth’ of 80 mm between the new structure and the ship’s original structure. The original funnel casing, considerably widened, was then replaced over the new stack.

Given the fact that QE2’s funnel was recognisable around the world, ‘was QE2’ and whose design had worked so well, it seemed inconceivable that Cunard would abandon the look and design but there was no escaping the fact that an additional 55,000 square metres of outlet surface area had to now be found to accommodate the new plant’s requirements.

Meetings with all parties concerned were held to present and discuss their wishes as to the shape, appearance and technical requirements of the new funnel. Several models were built and placed on a wooden ship model which was tested in wind tunnel before the funnel design was selected – very similar to the original but much thicker!

Models of QE2 with a considerably fatter version of Gardner’s original design were thoroughly wind-tunnel tested at the Institut fur Schifftechnik in Hamburg.

The original funnel would be removed at the start of the conversion to allow access via the boiler casing to the engine and boiler rooms to allow 4,700 tons of existing machinery to be removed and the new machinery to be installed and the funnel was lifted off within days of QE2 arriving at Bremerhaven in October 1986.

In fact the original funnel would be modified and rebuilt to the new design prior to being placed over the Exhaust Stack.

The Exhaust Stack itself was built as a framework structure with a surface area of 8.30 x 8.00 metres and an overall depth of 35.0 metres. The total weight was approximately 250 tons which was the equivalent of 420 ‘VW Golf’ cars. The Exhaust Stack would house all of the exhaust pipes and air ductwork and was prefabricated and installed by a floating crane in two sections – one section of 13.0 metres in height and the other of 22.0 metres in height complete with all lines, ducting, piping etc including insulation and final coating.

In order to reduce vibration and noise, all the exhaust pipes in the Exhaust Stack were mounted on anti-vibration mountings with each pipe and its associated silencers kept in position with anti-spring elements which have no contact with the steel structure of the Exhaust Stack.

The Exhaust Stack itself had rigid connection only at the Signal Deck level so that the connecting pints to the ship structure were minimised. In order to keep weight to the minimum and to provide for minimum construction then calculations were taken of the dimensioning and stability of the tower with the aid of high-powered computer systems similar to those used in the aircraft industry.

The new funnel casing (comprising the modified original casing) was lifted on board and fitted over the Exhaust Stack on 20 February 1987.

In order to run an engine plant of the magnitude of QE2 a total of two million cubic metres of air was needed hourly for combustion air and for cooling the engine rooms. Two casings were built for this purpose. The forward casing, the previous ‘Boiler Casing’ was not only for the movement of supply and exhaust air but also to house the exhaust gas pipes from the nine diesel engines and the two auxiliary boilers. 24 exhaust and supply ventilators were fitted for ventilation to the engine rooms and as well as supplying the two million cubic metres per hour they also removed 1.4 million cubic metres per hour. Within the funnel, heat from the exhaust was recovered in specially designed boilers to provide steam to heat the fuel and domestic water.

HEIGHTS

Funnel above Keel:        204 feet 1.5 inches (62.2 metres)
   Funnel:            69 feet 6 inches (21.2 metres)

Again the new funnel was the subject of controversy among ship buffs. While some complained about the new thicker look most agreed that it gave QE2 a more robust and purposeful look.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: QE2's Funnel 1987 -
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2014, 05:51 PM »
This post is from Michael regarding our QE2's new funnel after re-engining.  It is an awesome description of what was necessary and how it was achieved !

June  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online pete cain

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Hi June, this goes to show just what a fount of Knowledge this forum (thanks to Rob) has become..

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Hi Pete -

You are absolutely correct !  And yes, thanks to Rob !  The fact that all of the combined knowledge is archived and searchable is a tremendous research and archival resource for our beloved QE2

June   :)

Offline jdl

• Britannia Grill Diner
  • Sorry its not a picture of me and QE2!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2014, 08:12 AM »
Great article Mr G, many thanks for posting!

John

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2014, 11:12 AM »
A great article indeed! I was intrigued by the volume of air delivered to the engine room so did a few comparisons to put it into some kind of perspective.

According to my calculations it is the equivalent of 800 Olympic sized swimming pools every hour!! Wow!
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2014, 04:33 PM »
Hi Alan -

That is amazing !  Thank you very much for doing the calculations !

June   :D

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2014, 07:26 PM »
According to my calculations it is the equivalent of 800 Olympic sized swimming pools every hour!! Wow!

Wow, thanks for calculating that Alan. Very impressive!  :)
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2014, 07:40 PM »
And it all started on this day 27th October 1986....
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Hi Myles -

Thanks very much for your post !

June   :)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2014, 12:27 PM »
June,
 Thanks for the thanks, But really a "like" would have been easier and quicker.I did think thats why it was introduced so as to reduce the gushing of grattitude.
We must have the politest forum in the world.
Reminds me of the time at a party, one of those loves and dears events a friend who invited me
confided the blatant truth, "There is so much love in this room Myles, l could spew"

Mods, please feel free to move this topic wherever you see fit  ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Some of us are fonder of the "Like" button than others...  ;)

Also, as you have seen, the button can disappear for a while, and then the previously given and received "Likes" may not survive...

I totally agree with you though that this Forum is very polite - and I hope that the mutual appreciation reigning here, if it makes you spew, will only do so far far away physically from any of us  ;D .

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Oh 'Pumpkins'!

Just thinking aloud here, you understand!
In earlier days of the forum - it did seem pretty important to stick to the Topic - and almost certainly, it still does.
Saying the odd Thank You or two, was good and grateful - however, now it seems as if 'grateful' has a potential to become grate-full... and personally, at times, I believe that profuse / prolific thanks can dilute and distract from the line of discussion - as it might do, for example, here - and crucially, get in the way of  the importance of the posts / discussion regarding the Funnel itself.
Now we might be getting into rather 'hot air'- and this could be bit dodgy...Hmm!

Personally, the Like button is good.
I'd certainly Not mind at all if I wasn't thanked...however the odd 'like' is a great way of showing appreciation of an interesting post - and it can seem entirely appropriate in the context of the content.

With heartfelt, very sincere thanks to Rob for the Forum - and the hours and energy that he and the Mods put in,
Rosie

(PS - Mods please feel free to remove this post when you think it's appropriate)
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2014, 09:16 AM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Captain Martini

« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2015, 07:43 PM »
Much has been discussed about QE2's "fatter" funnel installed in 1987 but I am wondering, was it exactly the same HEIGHT as the original or was it a little taller?

Also, while it was presumably the highest point of the ship (because that is the height - 204ft 1.5 in - that is always quoted) but what was the height of the mainmast?
Mark Cornford (aka Captain Martini)

Offline Greg Rudd

« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2015, 02:06 AM »
Much has been discussed about QE2's "fatter" funnel installed in 1987 but I am wondering, was it exactly the same HEIGHT as the original or was it a little taller?

Also, while it was presumably the highest point of the ship (because that is the height - 204ft 1.5 in - that is always quoted) but what was the height of the mainmast?

I am amazed that in 1986 Meyer-Wert was still drafting via hand in lieu of CAD.

Correct me if I am wrong but I imagine the only yards that would have tooled up for CAD/CAM at that time would have been the big Japanese yards or the US combo of Newport News and Electric Boat.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2016, 10:07 AM »
The Funnel

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Funnel Plan