Author Topic: Labour Day on board QE2  (Read 1105 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Labour Day on board QE2
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Labour Day (1 May) is a public holiday in most countries of the world.

I wonder whether it was celebrated on board QE2, and if so, how? Was this a day when the crew were particularly honoured and perhaps given a party in the Grand Lounge? What are your memories of this day on board?

Enjoying my day off, and wondering how the crew members were (and indeed are) faring on this auspicious day :) .

Offline Graham Taylor

Re: Labour Day on board QE2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:30 PM »
As far as I can remember Labour Day was not celebrated onboard.

I would suggest two reasons for this: amongst the US citizens travelling, Labor Day is held on the first Monday in September and would be acknowledged on the daily programme and menu covers then. In the UK and much of Northern Europe, May Day has its connections to a much older Pagan spring festival rather than the International Workers Day. It didn't become a public holiday in the UK until introduced by the Labour Government of 1978 to acknowledge International Workers Day, however, in many parts of the country the only celebrations to be found relate to the Pagan festival.

During my time the only party given to the crew was the Crew Show held midway during the World Cruise on two consecutive nights (one for the crew and one for the guests).

For the Officers onboard a far more important day was the St George's Day Mess Dinner when all off duty officers including the Captain and his senior officers would attend a function in the Wardroom.
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Thanks for that information Graham.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 08:03 PM »
Thank you very much, Graham, for this information.  June
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Yes, thank you, Graham, and what a pity that the opportunity for a "crew" day was not seized!

I remember now a day, post-QE2, when I was on a different ship on 1 May. We arrived at our port of call and had the full benefit of a well organised and enjoyable parade by fine weather -- but on board the ship everything was exactly as it had been the day before, as far as the passenger service was concerned. It would have pleased me greatly to have known that the crew had their own festivities in their own time!

The ILO's Maritime Labour Convention

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 5
Views: 1239
Last post Mar 31, 2014, 06:01 PM
by June Ingram