Author Topic: Crew Shows  (Read 5702 times)

Offline Twynkle

Crew Shows
« on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:59 PM »
I'm too sexy.... Crew Show!

Note: video not available.

Thanks to shipteched
'The origin of this video is the Cruise Staff from the QE2 performing the classic "If I were not upon the Sea." I think that this gets to the point a little quicker though.'
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2023, 10:24 AM by Lynda Bradford »

bobso

Crew Shows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:05 AM »
QE2 poem--by Carmel Rogers-- worked in the library onboard the ship for 9 years

Links here to video of part of the crew show on board the "Queen of the Seas"--

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012, 08:18 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Pat Curry

Crew Shows
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:39 PM »
The Crew Show was held once a year on the last few days leg of the WC.  When Carmel was on board she was not only the show compere, she produced and rehearsed the show, anchored it with jokes and as we see here came up with 'thoughts'.   The video must be of the last crew show. There were always two shows for passengers (2045 and 2230 if I recall) then one for crew only at some unearthly hour like 0100, where for a rare occasion, all crew who were not performing could come into the public areas of the ship and sit in the Grand Lounge as audience.  Proviso: late attendance was no excuse for arriving late on duty later that morning. All the shows featured talented crew members, guitar players, singers, comedians even, etc. backed by the professional Grand Lounge ship's band   The crew show audience reaction was expectedly noisy (but appreciative of fellow members efforts) and it was allowed to be a bit more risqué but only slightly and never at the expense of pax.  Both versions were videoed from the balcony and transmitted on QE2 TV.  The crew channels, not available to pax, showed the crew version while the pax channels available to all showed the pax version.

Carmel herself joined the ship to work in the library at the invitation of Julia, who was already a librarian.  She later worked as concierge for the World Cruise Club members in the Board Room. She also worked as an art auctioneer.  She currently lives and works part time in Marbella.  We visited her in November.  She said she is often invited to return to QM in either role. She is tempted, but turns it down because she would be required to share a twin cabin. "Can't do it" she says "I'm of an age ..."  Cunard's loss.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Crew Shows
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:49 PM »
How often were there crew shows?

We only ever saw one, so they must have been produced only on an occasional basis, perhaps at the end of the longer cruises or a World Cruise.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Crew Shows
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:04 PM »
They were held once a year on the last leg of the World Cruise.

Pat Curry

Crew Shows
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:07 PM »
As far as I know only once a year on the World Cruise either between Cape Town and S'ton if on that route or the in the Med en route to S'ton.

Auditions and rehearsals took time so a long cruise was essential.

Crew Shows
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:13 PM »
Ours was at the end of the 21-night Autumn Colours cruise at the end of September 2008.

It is quite possible that this was the dress rehearsal for the very last and final one, on her way to Dubai.

Pat Curry

Re: Crew Shows
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:27 PM »
Yes judging by her poem, it rather seemed like Carmel was doing a special final show there.  

And why not do it on the longer cruises (such as your September 2008 cruise).  Presumably it was performed for the final Duibai cruise? Anyone know for sure?

Has any one ever posted the celebrated QE2 video of
" If I were not Upon The Sea, this is what I'd be"
It's an old Cruise Department chestnut but hilarious, and much enjoyed by audiences

« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:39 PM »

Offline Rod

« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:36 PM »
On the world cruises we used to do a show in the Wardroom which was sometimes repeated for the pax in the Double Room/ Grand Lounge. Guests were invitation only and all money raised went to that years charity. One year we raised over $20,000 in to hours. One pax guest paid $200 for an icecream!

Pat Curry

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Here is the programme of the one we saw on 26 September 2008 :

Crew Show programme page 1 by prondis_in_kenya, on Flickr

OMG Isabel.  What a souvenir. You see I know so many of the names.  

To mention some: Rodrigo, stage manager for years. Used to attach radio mics to me and Dominique for our demos in the Grand Lounge.  Then he'd be in his box at the back mixing the sound.  Pascal from the print shop.  What a guy.  Took over from William

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3188.msg34407.html#msg34407.

The marvellous Duffy of course and the equally marvellous No-Ports-McNaught.  

And YES, there is "If I were not upon the sea" with Warren, once ballroom dancer tutor rose to Cruise Director, and of course Thomas Quinones (et al).  This excruciating number used to close the show.  

Your programme shows that Carmel's poem was the show closer in 2008. I didn't know of it till you posted Isabel, so huge thank you.  It really sums up our views. Clever girl, Carmel. I really must get her to join this forum.  ;)  What a lot she could contribute.

I know there is a u-tube video of at least one QE2 version of "If I were not upon the sea"  somewhere on the internet if not on this forum.  Someone with greater expertise than me please find it  and and place it here.  What a laugh.  ;D ;D What memories. :'( :'(

On the serious side, the Crew Show was incredibly good for morale and NO CREW ever mocked it and there were plenty of cynics amongst the crew.  (Wouldn't be seen dead on it types, but they all watched it either live or on crew TV. )  

There was a collection in the Grand Lounge after each of the two pax shows, and the pax were as usual incredibly generous, (as Rod says) and totally anonymous.  Thousands of dollars were raised each year for the nominated ship's charity.  The crew did not get paid or tipped for it nor did they want that.  
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012, 09:44 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline PaulInuk

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2013, 01:50 PM »
i think i rember that sketch above,anyone remember the young woman who worked in the shops with the funny laugh she would make everyone laugh if she started laughing,i saw the crew show in 1994  it was realy good
paul

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:48 PM »
A crew show I remember being asked to in August 1989.. Messers Bennell,Bolton and Longley presenting an award.

< old dead image link removed >
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 12:59 PM by Rob Lightbody »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2015, 06:44 PM »
As Rod has pointed out, the Officers used to put on amateur shows in the Wardroom. Below are some photos of the world renowned 'Boris Dancers' making their international debut during the first Worldie, plus a photo of the 'Grand Finale' sing along with all the acts gathered around the Wardie piano.

The show received great plaudits and the Cruise Director decided to share some of the acts with the pax.

All very well putting on a show in front of your shipmates after a few ales were drunk ... a far different matter when the Boris Dancers were asked to perform in front of the bloods in the Double Down Room. I was petrified with fright. Indeed, one of the Boris Dancers (who shall remain nameless) balked at going on at the last minute and we had to physically drag him out on the floor with us.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2015, 01:59 PM by Boris »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #14 on: Aug 14, 2015, 08:31 PM »
Do we see a very young Bob Haines and Bob Venning...?
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Gay passengers and crew

Started by cunardqueenBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 6
Views: 3117
Last post Aug 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
by cunardqueen
QE2 Hotel Crew Areas

Started by Louis De SousaBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 1
Views: 505
Last post Oct 18, 2018, 08:31 AM
by Clydebuilt1971
Who was youngest ever crew member on QE2.?

Started by John D Hobley FinstRBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 25
Views: 2588
Last post Nov 26, 2022, 06:48 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
QE2 Crew Shop

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 5
Views: 3716
Last post Apr 26, 2013, 02:14 PM
by riskygizmo
Crew members -- information wanted

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories