Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Floral arrangements on QE2  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Floral arrangements on QE2
« on: Dec 26, 2011, 08:52 PM »
Since this was choosen for the POTM comptetion it would be nice to hear your opinions about them.Did you like them? was it done well? etc.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Floral arrangements on QE2
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:26 PM »
The most spectacular of these arrangements was the one between the Mauretania Model and the entrance to the Caronia Restaurant. We used to stop there and admire it, we used to find it blocking the full view of the Mauretania Model, we tried to have ourselves photographed with it by the official photographers (and laughed when one of them told us it would not work, as a reed which was part of the decoration looked as if it was poking one of us in the nose), and we never, even once, saw anyone watering it, refreshing it, replacing it or in any way working with it. It was always just there, and it was often new and different.

I wonder whether only the most experienced florists were allowed to work with this particular arrangement? And whether they did so at the dead of night?

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:18 PM »
This was my favourite floral display. It just appeared on 20 September 2007 as QE2 headed up the Clyde to go go home 40 years to the day of her launch.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:39 PM »
Hello Flagship

Very impressive! Was it made by Mikey?

His flowers on board QM2 are stunning.

Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:24 PM »
Since this was choosen for the POTM comptetion it would be nice to hear your opinions about them.Did you like them? was it done well? etc.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=58

This is the album with the floral arrangements entered in the Photo of the Month competition of January 2012 --
there are probably many more beautiful photos of QE2 flowers in our collections, and it would be great to see them here!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 07:35 AM »
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=58

This is the album with the floral arrangements entered in the Photo of the Month competition of January 2012 --
there are probably many more beautiful photos of QE2 flowers in our collections, and it would be great to see them here!

Flowers on board QE2 were always beautiful - this is a great topic, Isabelle!
Did anyone take a photo of the flowers used during a Sunday Church service in the Theatre?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2018, 02:57 PM »
Can we add some more information to this topic?  Do we have photos and information about the location of the florists on board, and how many flowers were on board at any time etc etc ?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2018, 03:42 PM »
There was a Florist shop onboard from 1982 until 1986 as part of the Shopping Concourse on Boat Deck. I have pictures somewhere which I will find.

The Florist Refrigerator and 'workshop' as it where was aft on Three Deck next to the main passenger laundry as seen on the attached.

John Duffy once told me they were spending $15,000 per voyage on flowers for public rooms and in cabins.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2018, 03:53 PM by Michael Gallagher »

Offline Rod

« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2018, 07:04 PM »
The original florists shop was on upper deck aft, at the back end of the double down room. Dispense bar right opposite?

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Was the Florists ever open for passengers to visit and have flowers for a fee if they wanted - besides the Florist shop on Boat Deck?
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2018, 10:31 PM »
Not sure that they were ever open "officially", but you could always pop past and place an order ,they never turned you down. Latterly l noticed they were keen to push sales of buttonhole flowers. Im never keen on flowers, but on QE2 a little display in the cabin was always something nice.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2018, 12:35 AM »
The florist shop was open to pax. Their counter faced the alleyway between the double down and DDA bar.

« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2018, 08:18 AM »
In the 2000s, I was never aware of a possibility of buying flowers on board.

I loved the little orchid vases in our cabins. The orchids seemed to last for a long time, no doubt one of the reasons why they were chosen (apart of course from their beauty).

My memory too is of the florists' workshop being close to the passenger laundry.

And no, Rosie, I have no memory of whether or not there were floral arrangements at the church services, and if so, what they were like. I'll have to check my photos...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2018, 04:29 PM »
Mikey was the Florist for several years on board QE2 -
He is still working his socks off, now on board Queen Mary 2

One of the early warning signs relating to disturbed sea conditions is when the flowers in vases are removed from tables, desks etc and placed on the floor carpets!
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2018, 04:33 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2018, 06:23 PM »
I always used to trawl the corridors, mainly 1 Deck, on turnaround day, especially when we were on back to back trannies, to collect the flower arrangements that were being thrown out. It was no unheard of for me to have several arrangements in my cabin at any one time. When my wife first travelled on QE2 with me i told her i had specially ordered them for her!
However, she very quickly saw through my lies, but still enjoyed having the flowers in our cabin none the less.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #15 on: Oct 01, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Florist by Double Down Bar...

Offline Rod

« Reply #16 on: Oct 01, 2018, 12:16 PM »
Florist by Double Down Bar...

SEE, my memory has not completely gone!