Author Topic: QE2 Technical Trials -- 23 December 1968 to 2 January 1969  (Read 7030 times)

Offline CAP

Re: Technical Trials - NEW YEARS DAY - Wednesday, January 1, 1969
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2012, 09:42 AM »
Another gem - thanks Lisa.

Interesting to note on this programme it refers to those persons who boarded in Las Palmas (predominantly members of the press) but none of the previous documents suggests that she was anywhere near there!

Youngesteverpassenger

Re: Technical Trials - NEW YEARS DAY - Wednesday, January 1, 1969
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2012, 10:41 AM »
And last one in this series is tomorrow's.

Technical Trials were definitely to the Canary Islands.

HNY

Youngesteverpassenger

Technical Trials - Thursday, January 2, 1969
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:46 AM »
Technical Trials - Thursday, January 2, 1969

LAST DAY at sea on this trip

Lisa

Youngesteverpassenger

1 Jan '69

BOARD OF TRADE - ESSENTIAL SURVEYS (for guidance)

HP TURBINE
Both port and starboard rotors lifted out; both to be dynamically balanced to BOT Survey.

Examination of rotors, bearings etc before final boxing up.

Casing alignment check before lagging is replaced on casing or piping.

No alteration, welding etc of Cr. Moly. Vad. piping etc must be carried out without my approval.

TAILSHAFT
Muff couplings to be surveyed.

BOILERS
Steam Purge System

All non-return valves to be replaced (present design not acceptable).

"T" pieces in piping to be strengthened and piping to be properly supported.

Oil Fuel System
Any alteration to pumps or system must be with my approval.

Electrical arrangements - Surveys as per my letter of 24 Dec 68.

Abandon ship alarms and other items as referred to in my letter of 29 Dec 68.

B.O.T. - Essential surveys (Cont'd)

C02 Holds
------------
Gas detection system to be tested

Galleys
Ham boiling pans - 15lbs psi - reducing and relief valves to be fitted.

Oily Water Separators
Tests to be arranged and carried out to BOT Survey.

C.A. CREBER
Senior Engineer & Ship Surveyor.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: QE2 Technical Trials -- 23 December 1968 to 2 January 1969
« Reply #24 on: Mar 27, 2019, 07:21 PM »
The "Unseen QE2 box of QE2 slides" acquired by myself for the forum in March 2019, include many photos of this trip, including many of events for the children.

Attached is one showing the Queens Room - with the Christmas tree up (looking very 60s!) and the kids maybe playing a-ring-a-ring-of-roses ?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #25 on: Mar 27, 2019, 08:13 PM »
Great picture! I wonder whether QE2 ever had as many children passengers again... they all seem to be much of an age.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #26 on: Apr 19, 2019, 03:48 PM »
The "Unseen QE2 box of QE2 slides" acquired by myself for the forum in March 2019, include many photos of this trip, including many of events for the children.

Attached is one showing the Queens Room - with the Christmas tree up (looking very 60s!) and the kids maybe playing a-ring-a-ring-of-roses ?

Good photo: Looks like late early 70's. The silver Christmas tree was very 60's/70's.  Three of the woman have the same uniform light green dress, so they could be the children's club staff. Maybe it was the children of officers and crew which could explain why there were so many children. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Apr 30, 2019, 07:08 PM »
I've just had a bit of fun.

A mystery singer on one of the slides from this trip - I've managed to link her up with a daily programme (above) - and then discovered that she went on to great success after QE2 ... all will be revealed on Saturday!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #28 on: Jul 04, 2020, 07:26 PM »
I've just had a bit of fun.

A mystery singer on one of the slides from this trip - I've managed to link her up with a daily programme (above) - and then discovered that she went on to great success after QE2 ... all will be revealed on Saturday!

I will follow up on this now, over a year after the talk when I revealed what I meant!

I did some digging – thanks to the daily Programme – and I think this must be “Lori and the Wells Brothers”!  Lori was apparently superb – and went on TV and film, and had 4 different parts in Coronation Street starting in 1972 - photo attached of her in "The Rovers Return" pub.   (note to non-Brits : Coronation Street is a hugely popular soap opera!

“She had a unique instantly recognizable voice just the same as Karen Carpenter or Ella Fitzgerald had and it brought her a well deserved standing ovation.”

I've actually bought an LP of hers, and brought it to the talk, but I've not managed to digitise it yet.