Author Topic: QE2 and Concorde  (Read 49408 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: QE2 and Concorde
« Reply #120 on: Nov 14, 2020, 10:37 AM »
Wonderful photos! The second photo is particularly appropriate with British Aerospace. A beautiful swan-like aircraft.

It's a great shame Concorde didn't carry on beyond 2003 particularly given all the time and money spent refurbishing most of the fleet's cabins and making sure the 2000 crash was a lot less likely to happen again with fitting Kevlar as a lining to the fuel tanks and (if memory serves correctly) designing more resilient tyres. All after a crash that wasn't Concorde's fault either but awful, tragic bad luck.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #121 on: Nov 14, 2020, 12:10 PM »
Presumably Concorde did not need a very long runway? I wonder how many smaller airports it (or is it she?) flew to?

Here is the one in Paris :

Concorde!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #122 on: Nov 14, 2020, 12:33 PM »
She needed a decent length runway for take off due to the nature of delta wing aircraft with their higher take off speeds because of lower lift at slow speeds - higher landing speeds also being a feature for the same reason. Wonderful way to preserve a Concorde, "Gate Guardian" style, which reminds me of one of the German air musuems where they have another Air France Concorde mounted on pedestals too, but with the Soviet Tu-144 "Concordski" in front in a similar pose. I've attached a link to a photo of them below:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0e/c1/1a/0ec11ad478544927169173d157051b7a.jpg
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2020, 12:39 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #123 on: Nov 14, 2020, 12:44 PM »
I was so tempted to take the very last Concorde flight, but then did not do it because of the high cost. This is still something that I slightly regret.

I am therefore determined to take an A380 flight when it becomes possible again and preferably if I am vaguely interested in the route. It has stopped flying to Tokyo and Johannesburg, both of which I would have enjoyed, so my most likely destination has become Singapore. But whether it will ever happen is hard to say at this stage...

Apologies for having taken this topic along a completely different route!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #124 on: Nov 14, 2020, 01:06 PM »
I was so tempted to take the very last Concorde flight, but then did not do it because of the high cost. This is still something that I slightly regret.

I am therefore determined to take an A380 flight when it becomes possible again and preferably if I am vaguely interested in the route. It has stopped flying to Tokyo and Johannesburg, both of which I would have enjoyed, so my most likely destination has become Singapore. But whether it will ever happen is hard to say at this stage...

I, like a lot of people I think, missed out on 20 years of travelling on QE2 (and Concorde) because I just assumed it was completely out of my reach.  However I now realise that I was lucky enough that it was just a question of changing my priorities... if I'd spent a bit less on all my cars through the 90s and noughties, I could have been at least occasionally making modest trips on QE2 in modest cabins, and I'm sure had I known it was once-in-a-lifetime, I'd have managed once on Concorde I'm sure.

I agree about the A380 - its a wonderful thing - passengers all rave about it.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #125 on: Nov 14, 2020, 01:27 PM »
Travelling to and from Dubai via the A380 back in January was definitely another item ticked off my bucket list. I recorded and photographed the experience extensively for the memories, the aircraft's cameras such as the tail camera proving useful and great to see anyway. It is amazing an aircraft the size (and weight on take off) of an A380 can fly, she really is the QM2 of the air, imposing and impressive. The dinosaur-like roar on spool up at take off, and sheer power of the 4 RR Trents is also hair standing on end inducing.

Talking of other airliners:

It was sad to see BA's 747-400s retire early recently, mostly or completely going for scrap, having flown across the North Atlantic on them in 2003 and 2008 respectively.

I'll never forget a BA A320 flight back in 2012 for a school trip to Munich where we were really pushed back into our (leather throughout the aircraft) seats and we climbed like a homesick angel. That was exhilarating, maybe we were on the lighter side take off weight wise!

Anyway, back to topic!
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 08:23 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #126 on: Nov 14, 2020, 01:41 PM »
A testimony to the power of Concorde....I was in the parking lot at Heathrow when one took off, every car alarm went off due to the ROAR!!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #127 on: Nov 14, 2020, 01:44 PM »
A testimony to the power of Concorde....I was in the parking lot at Heathrow when one took off, every car alarm went off due to the ROAR!!

Skip to 35 seconds in!

Offline George C Griffiths

« Reply #128 on: Nov 14, 2020, 02:35 PM »
My Concorde carry-on baggage tag.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #129 on: Nov 14, 2020, 04:59 PM »
Great discussions !

George, your photos are wonderful ! And the menu selections look like they could be Cunard menu selections !

Thomas, your video is awesome. As Concorde gains altitude and flies away from your camera, one gets an exceptional view of her engines !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #130 on: Nov 14, 2020, 10:37 PM »
Interesting to see the particular Concorde you flew on is the one preserved at Filton - G-BOAF. Concorde photos are always great to see!

My profile picture is inside G-BOAF....  ;D

<<<<<
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #131 on: Nov 14, 2020, 10:46 PM »

Emirates have re-introduced the A380 on several routes from Dubai recently, including Heathrow.

Perhaps there might be something of great interest at the Dubai end that would make a visit tempting...?

Regarding Concorde, even in the final week of operation, BA still had a few empty seats and were offering standbys at £1,500 return(!) up to and including the penultimate day.  I was very tempted myself; if I had maxed out my overdraft I could have just about scraped that together at the time... I would have probably also got fired for bunking off work if I had done it, though!

In the event, I didn't try it because there was no certainty of being able to get straight back again had I managed to get on the outbound.

Afterwards, I discovered it would have been easily possible.

On the way out on the penultimate day, there were around half a dozen empty seats.  On the way back, the aircraft was half empty!!  There had been a major crash on the Van Wyck Expressway and half the booked passengers were on the wrong side of the blockage, stuck in immobile traffic with no way of getting off and on to alternative roads, and it was not possible to hold the aircraft...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #132 on: Nov 15, 2020, 06:06 AM »
My profile picture is inside G-BOAF....  ;D

<<<<<

It's a small world  ;D !

Offline George C Griffiths

« Reply #133 on: Dec 02, 2020, 07:06 PM »
Thomas Hypher mentioned "other aircraft" and then went on to mention the A380 on which I have flown many times.
In July of last year I flew on the longest scheduled flight in the world at the time - non-stop from Singapore to New York. I have friends in both of these locations so it was an ideal opportunity to see them all in one trip. Flight time potentially is 19 hours but mine took only 17 hours 45 minutes. I was a bit disappointed it was so quick! I flew Eastbound from Singapore and when flying home from NYC also  flew Eastbound. This meant that from "door to door" I flew all the way round the world. If anyone is wondering what it was like to fly for such a long time - it was fantastic with great service and comfort. The aircraft was an Airbus A350 ULR. I'd do it all again! Prior to that my longest flight was on BA in the early 1990's from Hong Kong to London - only 14 hours 30 minutes owing to a strong headwind and having to fly around Afghanistan airspace as fighting had broken out. Now I want to do the world's shortest scheduled flight - in Orkney. The scheduled time is 1 minute 30 seconds I think - but it's done it in 56 seconds. I'd planned to do it this year but Mr Covid put paid to that. However - watch this space!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #134 on: Dec 02, 2020, 09:51 PM »
Now I want to do the world's shortest scheduled flight - in Orkney. The scheduled time is 1 minute 30 seconds I think - but it's done it in 56 seconds. I'd planned to do it this year but Mr Covid put paid to that. However - watch this space!   

For all the years i lived up there , l never gave this flight any thought, now having left there l would love to do the shortest flight, one of the facts banded about was that distance wise its shorter than Heathrows main runway.
Iv been lucky to fly in the Islander a number of times once when l was very young it was a charter flight taking Hydro men out and back to one of the outer Orkney isles to sort a fault , Dad was the local hydro man on the island and the boss said when he landed oh its going back to kirkwal for some equipment and right back here, does your son want a quick flight , well naturally l jumped and had the co pilots seat, take off was impressive , it was a very windy windy day the aircraft was maneuvered into position, the pilot said through the head phone watch this for a take off and opened her up we hardly moved (granted its a Short take off/landing design) and we lifted up very quickly ..its wasnt a long flight, but l was mesmirised by it all, and more so when he switched the fuel pumps off, Gravity he said takes care of that in the air,    then asked did l want to fly it, so he said put your hands on the joystick and push very slowly down, the nose went down, pull it back slowly and we climbed then turn it and we banked either side .
A number of years ago Highland Park sponsored the colourscheme and gave all those on the short flight a miniature of The HP Whisky,  l told some visiting Americans, from the parent company of Highland Park who were going upto Orkney to watch for the HP aircraft, i found out later they were blown away by her and indeed did that short flight. Its an incredibly noisy aircraft and when your sitting next the props they are pretty close. There was a brief time they were painted in the BA colours along with the rest of the Loganair fleet.
My sister, in 74 was born onboard the Loganair Islander aircraft when they performed Ambulance flights, mum went into labor and rather than being flown from Stronsay to Kirkwall, which was fog bound, they ended up diverting to Aberdeen. she has the rare CAA Birth certificate showing place of birth 2,000 feet above Kirkwall. and her daughter now works as Cabin crew for Norwegian Air.     

Thomas Hypher mentioned "other aircraft" and then went on to mention the A380 on which I have flown many times. 

They are indeed big beautiful birds, l was lucky to fly to LA on G-XLEA, The first into the BA fleet , just a few months after she entered service. seeing her parked up at T5 you do wonder how these beasts manage to get up in the air. Boarding was a bit chaotic but sitting on the top it's very hard to imagine there's another deck full of passengers below you. The take off was first of all very quiet and as we lumbered down the runway, take off was very quick, the wings flexing like no mans business in the wind. I was very lucky in that l had an upgrade onboard, but with the mood lighting , its really amazing how quiet it is onboard. On the return flight l was sitting next to a passenger he to was slightly panicked by the very quick lift of at what seemed a very slow speed. And for the size of the aircraft, the joy stick is no bigger than one used for a game console
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!