Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Ruby Wedding Anniversary on board QE2  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Ruby Wedding Anniversary on board QE2
« on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:05 PM »
From Barrie Evans :

Our 2nd Q E 2 cruise to celebrate our Ruby Wedding Anniversary

On the 3rd of October 2006, we arrived at the Mayflower Terminal Southampton, to check in for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary Q E 2 cruise. On presenting our documents, we were greeted with the news that we had been upgraded from the Coronia, to the Britannia restaurant. Likewise our cabin was also upgraded. We were absolutely thrilled with the outcome, which had made a perfect start to our cruise.

After the customs check, we entered the wait area, before being called to embark on to the Q E 2.  I said to my wife Jean, after all that excitement, I must visit the loo. I have pet saying,  " After you Vicar"   or  "More tea Vicar".  As i entered the toilet, I sensed that someone was coming out. Without looking up I said, "After you Vicar".  A voice responded, "Thank you my son. "  You're welcome"  I said, and as I looked up, it was a "Vicar". We both laughed as we parted. Not knowing, but we were destined to meet again on two more occasions. One afternoon we were sitting on the boat deck, when my wife said, "here comes your friend".  I looked up, and it was the Vicar coming towards us. " Good Afternoon" he said, and introduced himself. His name was Peter Robertson. He had a great sense of humor. He smiled at me and said, "Before you ask" Yes, I've had more tea Vicar.

On the daily itinerary programme, we noticed that in the Yacht Club you could renew your wedding vows. As it was our Ruby wedding anniversary we thought that we would like to renew ours. We checked with a lady, and asked, were we to late to register. No she said, Just add your name to the list. We were the fifth name on the sheet. We went back to our cabin and got changed into something more appropriate for the occasion. So, up to the yacht club we go with fifteen minuets to spare. We casually entered the Yacht Club, only to find that it was packed to the rafters. I said to the lady inside," I thought that there were only five couples." Oh no she said, there were two full pages of names before you had entered your name. I don't know why, but I thought the Captain would conduct the ceremony. "Yes I was wrong." It was my friend, "The Vicar"  Peter  Robertson. After a short ceremony, we were all invited to receive our certificates from Peter. There was a wide range of years that couples were renewing their vows. One couple had only been married for 8 days, and another were celebrating their 65th.  As your names were read out , each couple then were presented to Peter, who gave his blessing. As we approached him, he laughed and said, we are not having tea, we are having sparkling wine. "I will drink to that Vicar " I said. This turned out to be just one of many happy memories for us on our 2nd cruise on the Q E 2.

Offline Lynda Bradford

Re: Ruby Wedding Anniversary on board QE2
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Thank-you Barrie for a lovely story with a little humour included.  This must have been a very special cruise for you and Jean and certainly a cruise to remember.  Thanks also for the photos which bring the story to life. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Andy F

« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2011, 01:11 AM »
Great story Barrie and like you, I admit to a somewhat liberal use of the old 'more tea Vicar' myself on occasion  ;D 
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Barrie Evans

« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:56 AM »
Thank-you Barrie for a lovely story with a little humour included.  This must have been a very special cruise for you and Jean and certainly a cruise to remember.  Thanks also for the photos which bring the story to life. 
   ;D Thank-you Lynda for your kind comments on our Ruby anniversary Cruise.Its nice to get feedback on how members received it.Im pleased that you enjoyed my story and the photos.Its nice that i can share my story with the forum members, and im sure that it will remind them of their happy memories of cruising on our beloved Q E 2. ;D   
Barrie & Jean

Offline Barrie Evans

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2011, 12:13 PM »
Great story Barrie and like you, I admit to a somewhat liberal use of the old 'more tea Vicar' myself on occasion  ;D 
     ;D "Bless you my son "  ;D Thanks Andy for your comments. Im now working on my next post, when we where stuck on the sandbank, on entering Southamptn Water on the morning of November 11th 2008.
Barrie