Author Topic: QE2 or QEII? What's in a name?  (Read 23918 times)

Offline Louis Betti

Re: QE2 or QEII? What's in a name?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 19, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Now, here is a question:

Why is the current operating ship named "Queen Elizabeth" not named "Queen Elizabeth 3" ?

Otherwise, and as stated above, the use of the Arabic "2" was appropriate and not the Roman "II". The Queen did get it wrong. As to the use of "QE2", I never had a problem with it from a marketing standpoint, and some of the early logos were quite nice. Using "QEII" might have some pronouncing it as a word, perhaps "Q-eye"? Cunard had to move forward from the old days, and the use of QE2 certainly worked; it just flows off the tongue.

There's Queen Mary (Long Beach, CA) and Queen Mary 2. Anyone remember the story (I never felt it was proven) as to the naming of Queen Mary? She was supposed to be Queen Victoria. Of course that has been taken care of with a Cunard "cruise ship" of the same name (she was actually first intended for Holland America).

Then again, Holland America Line has named six ships "Rotterdam" without any number!

Not much consistency in naming, but at this stage it means very little.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #31 on: Oct 19, 2013, 08:59 PM »
I'm still wondering why the new cruise ship was called a Queen at all...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline andy liney

« Reply #32 on: Oct 19, 2013, 09:35 PM »

Anyone remember the story (I never felt it was proven) as to the naming of Queen Mary? She was supposed to be Queen Victoria. Of course that has been taken care of with a Cunard "cruise ship" of the same name (she was actually first intended for Holland America).

...and, of course, the ship then laid down as the future Victoria became the P. & O. Arcadia when Carnival decided to redesign Victoria with separate accommodation for Grills passengers after QM2's limited version of this had proved so successful despite earlier misgivings.

Offline Adam Ilgin

Re : QE2 or QEII? What's in a name?
« Reply #33 on: Jul 07, 2014, 08:03 PM »
We've covered her name in depth here but essentially the queen made a mistake and caused a massive stooshie in Scotland because she's only our first Queen Elizabeth.

Did the Queen ever make a statement on the subject or did she just zip her mouth?
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2014, 08:58 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #34 on: Jul 08, 2014, 01:52 PM »
The Queen herself never issues "statements", sometimes the Palace does, but even then only on certain important non-contentious subjects such as press intrusion on private Family matters. It means it is difficult to know what The Queen personally thinks about certain things, but this way she stays out of politics and the constitutional minefield getting involved would entail (something Prince Charles should heed). Her constitutional rĂ´le is to be kept informed of her Government's policies and to consequently advise her ministers, something she consistently does well after 60 years in the "job".
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #35 on: Jul 09, 2014, 11:26 AM »

;D I always felt that the Queen might have had in mind that her grandmother (Queen Mary) and her mother (Queen Elizabeth) both had a ship named after themselves, so why not have a ship herself. Although Rob might be on the truth when he says Her Majesty had a 'slip of the tongue'.
The monarch's name includes the roman numeral. hence George I, George II, etc unless the reigning monarch has a name not used before. There is a lot of confusion between QE2 and QEII because of this. The ship is unique amongst other things named for Her Majesty the Queen in that the ship's name was supposed to have been plain "Queen Elizabeth" as told above, and named for the older ship, not the Queen.

Michael touched on this on a post above. It has always been my understanding that only a "Ship of the Line" i.e. a senior vessel of the Royal Navy can be named after a reigning monarch (as now bourne by the new aircraft carrier - although for some reason HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH without THE SECOND).
Hotel Officer/Purser 1987-1993

FACEBOOK - www.facebook.com/Graham.Malcolm.Taylor
TWITTER - www.twitter.com/GrahamTaylorUK
BLUESKY - grahamtayloruk.bsky.social

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Graham Gowans has asked us :

This may have been asked before, but can anyone confirm that the QE2 was meant to be named Queen Elizabeth Two & not the second as the Queen named her ?

There is quite a lot of discussion on the matter above.

Graham, you probably heard a lot of the rumours going around at the time. Did you place a bet on any of the possible names yourself?

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #37 on: Jun 04, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Wasn't Queen Mary 2 a suggestion at the time?
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Bob van Leeuwen

« Reply #38 on: Jun 04, 2017, 04:46 PM »
That would even more sense if they where also planning a running mate

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re:Confusing QE2 with QEII Highway
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:29 AM »
This headline almost caught me out, and made me smile :

Travel not recommended on The QE2

https://www.lacombeonline.com/local/travel-not-recommended-on-the-qe2

Did they mean "to" the QE2  ;) :D  ?
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2019, 10:56 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Confusing QE2 with QEII Highway
« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:33 AM »
This headline almost caught me out, and made me smile :

Travel not recommended on The QE2

https://www.lacombeonline.com/local/travel-not-recommended-on-the-qe2

Did they mean "to" the QE2  ;) :D  ?

One of the things that has happened over the ten years of this forum, is that searches for "QE2" have gone from mostly referring to the ship of that name, to mostly referring to other things which usually should be QEII, but that's another character to type so nobody can be bothered... 
« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2019, 10:56 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:01 AM »
One of the things that has happened over the ten years of this forum, is that searches for "QE2" have gone from mostly referring to the ship of that name, to mostly referring to other things which usually should be QEII, but that's another character to type so nobody can be bothered... 

Certainly caused a bit of confusion with the headline and it is only when you follow the link that you see it is the  Queen Elizabeth II Highway in Alberta that the advice refers to and not our beautiful QE2.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Personally I find the mixing up of QE2 and QEII very annoying as basic research would give the correct answer depending on which "thing" is being referred to... they are two very different "things" after all, despite their close connection!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

"The QEII is Missing" by Harry Harrison, 1980 ISBN 0 7088 1955

Started by MalcolmBoard Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1786
Last post Jan 08, 2012, 07:31 PM
by Rob Lightbody
The cranes at the QEII Terminal in Southampton

Started by qe2-I-luved-itBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 8
Views: 4434
Last post Apr 01, 2013, 09:52 PM
by Rod