Author Topic: Restoration of the Fairfield Shipbuilding Offices in Govan  (Read 1525 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Quote from: http://www.fairfieldgovan.co.uk/

We are currently restoring the Grade A listed Fairfield Shipbuilding Offices in Govan. The Offices, due to open in late 2012, will provide a dedicated heritage resource containing both permanent and updateable displays, together with activity spaces for informal meetings, talks, films and other community events.

Sounds fantastic to me!  Find out more - http://www.fairfieldgovan.co.uk/
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Alistair

Re: Restoration of the Fairfield Shipbuilding Offices in Govan
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Looks very interesting and a short ferry ride across from the Riverside Museum too!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:00 AM »
Thought I'd resurrect this thread.

I attended a very interesting presentation on the Dalmuir shipyard of William Beardmore and Sons (the yard occupied the land that the Golden Jubiliee Hospital is built upon - ie next door to John Brown) followed by the screening of an excellent British Pathe film about the construction and sailing of Canadian Pacific's ss Duchess of Atholl (built 1928 at Beardmore - near the end of the yard's life) - entitled "Birth of A Liner"

There is a copy on YouTube take a look -  Birth Of A Liner (1928) - the film was made in 1928 and has no sound - the copy screened last night had a musical accompaniment - worth a watch as it focusses heavily on the building of the ship and Beardmore's yard.

The event was held at Fairfield Heritage - in the Grade A listed former head offices of the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company - restored to original condition after being rescued by Govan Workspaces in 2009 after being left to decay since the current yard owners BAE Systems stopped using the building in 2001.
A multi million pound restoration followed and the building now houses a museum dedicated to Fairfield and also rents out office space to local businesses.

The building (IMHO) is stunning and I am so glad that it rescued and restored.

The event was held in the former board room - clad in rich wood and complete with long table - you can imagine the business done in this room over the years and sadly the anguish when the yard was failing and was ultimately absorbed into UCS in the mid 60s. Thankfully the yard continues as part of BAE Systems Surface Ships although along with sister yard in Scotsoun (former Yarrow Shipbuilders), only now building Naval Vessels
Some shots below (apologies for quality but were taken on my phone)

It was also great to be able to chat with Clyde Maritime Historian Ian Johnston - the opening speaker at our QE2 50th Anniversary Conference - he as always gave a great opening presentation and added an extra dimension that you wont get from just watching the film in isolation.

I only had a quick look around the museum part but there are plenty of interactive exhibits and also amazing ship models to look at - I will be back for a better look soon!

Read more about Fairfield here:  Fairfield SB & E Co Ltd

Gav
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2019, 10:08 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2019, 10:49 AM »
Thanks Gavin for letting us know about your visit to the Fairfield offices. I have visited for the tour of building and the museum.

Do you think this would be a suitable venue, for a future QE2 Story get-together?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline pete cain

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:05 PM »
To echo Lynda, thanks Gavin, beautiful building - stunning, & yes why not if it is suitable use as a venue ?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Thanks, Gav, for your commentary and great photos.  It is a beautiful building and certainly looks like it would be a great venue !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Thanks Gavin for letting us know about your visit to the Fairfield offices. I have visited for the tour of building and the museum.

Do you think this would be a suitable venue, for a future QE2 Story get-together?

Hi Lynda,

I think it would be - theres plenty to see in the museum and we could sort out some sort of presentation too

Worth considering.

Gav

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2019, 02:37 PM »
Hi Lynda,

I think it would be - theres plenty to see in the museum and we could sort out some sort of presentation too

Worth considering.

Gav

I think if we could combine this with a weekend which has a suitable Waverley railingy that would be fab!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2019, 01:23 PM »
I think if we could combine this with a weekend which has a suitable Waverley railingy that would be fab!

Sounds like the start of a plan however I don't think the place is open at weekends so perhaps our wee jaunt may need to be a Friday or something?

Gav

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Excellent to see the offices restored and then used appropriately!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 01:11 PM »
I totally under appreciated this building, this shipyard until this past weekend when we were there for our gathering (thanks to Gavin).

Here's a wee video of her being saved (which includes Ian Johnston, who joined us yesterday)

First Class Pool Restoration

Started by Hank HargroveBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 494
Last post Jul 03, 2017, 05:29 PM
by Trevor Casey
Restoration Work Ongoing

Replies: 1
Views: 354
Last post Aug 03, 2017, 05:37 AM
by Hank Hargrove
Captain's Quarters Restoration

Replies: 0
Views: 492
Last post Jul 03, 2017, 05:09 PM
by Hank Hargrove
More Restoration!

Views: 497
Last post Sep 02, 2017, 09:26 AM
by Brandon Sterkel
Q&A Video on upcoming restoration projects:

Views: 533
Last post Jul 30, 2017, 06:57 PM
by Hank Hargrove