Author Topic: Queen Victoria - Berthed in Trieste 19-21-Nov-2011  (Read 4060 times)

Offline CAP

Queen Victoria - Berthed in Trieste 19-21-Nov-2011
« on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:09 AM »
Wonder if anyone knows why QV appears to have been diverted to Trieste rather than undertake the scheduled three day stay in Venice?

Given this is a lay-over between cruises the logisitics of transporting people to/from the original destination must be considerable.  Additionally, I noticed both a Costa and MSC ship also appear to have put into Trieste.

This is QV's last day in port before embarking on her repositioning cruise to the West Coast of America.

Offline matdark

Re: Queen Victoria - Berthed in Trieste 19-21-Nov-2011
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:00 PM »
I was on board QV yesterday, we were supposed to disembark from Venice as well on saturday, spent the whole day at large waiting for the fog to lift, it's only when it did not happen that the ship was diverted To Trieste, as were a Costa and a MSC ships. Ports are closed. Airports are closed. You had to be there to see what a mess the Venice airport is, our flight back home was more than 10 hours late without trustable informations. People had to disembark at 2 am and take a bus from Trieste to Venice, costa and msc passengers as well. It's a tough situation, it's not pleasant but you have to deal with it and, honnestly, Cunard did a pretty good job arranging things as far as we are concerned.

Offline CAP

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Thanks for the update matdark.  Sounds a bit of a nightmare but from what you say at least the company were supportive... and the consolation is you can claim to have been aboard for her maiden call at Trieste!
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2011, 07:50 PM by CAP »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:57 PM »
I was on board QV yesterday, we were supposed to disembark from Venice as well on saturday, spent the whole day at large waiting for the fog to lift, it's only when it did not happen that the ship was diverted To Trieste, as were a Costa and a MSC ships. Ports are closed. Airports are closed. You had to be there to see what a mess the Venice airport is, our flight back home was more than 10 hours late without trustable informations. People had to disembark at 2 am and take a bus from Trieste to Venice, costa and msc passengers as well. It's a tough situation, it's not pleasant but you have to deal with it and, honnestly, Cunard did a pretty good job arranging things as far as we are concerned.

What a shame for you - it could have been incredibly disappointing.
Fog's often a problem in Venice - makes it quite spooky!

Offline matdark

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2011, 09:45 PM »
well, fortunately we had already been to Venice before! An eventful cruise, really, stuck in Alexandria for two days because of a storm (and consequently the cancellation of the next port of call), novovirus, cancellation of the call at Venice... By the way, QV can sail at more than 23 knots, I have proof!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:39 PM »
... By the way, QV can sail at more than 23 knots, I have proof!
She beat her young sister to it across the Atlantic in January too.
And what's more - you can see where she's heading!
And by 'all' accounts she's got an ever increasing fan base -
so there's no need to fear for her future...she's not as ugly as her sister either ;)

Sounds as if you might need another voyage pdq to make up for all the pitfalls you encountered!
Hope that Captain Olsen's ok. 

Offline matdark

« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:13 AM »
Well, luckily enough it was my 3rd time on board ;) She's a really nice ship! Not a big fan of Captain Olsen though, but it's utterly personal!

Offline matdark

« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Venitian fog  ::) And the Hamilton plate on her stern in Istanbul.

Online Lynda Bradford

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Queen Mary reopens

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 17
Views: 3109
Last post Aug 30, 2023, 02:56 AM
by Chris
Steven Adler, QE2 Waiter, Queen's Grill 1981-1985

Started by adlerscBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 44
Views: 19770
Last post Jul 05, 2020, 04:05 PM
by Vincent Scriven
TheQE2Story at RMS Queen Mary : Jan 16th 2010

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 6
Views: 3486
Last post Jan 09, 2011, 01:38 PM
by 3QueensGirl
Queen Elizabeth 2 - Maiden Cruises aboard the QE2 - 1969 Programme

Started by YoungesteverpassengerBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 44
Views: 19326
Last post Jan 23, 2022, 12:19 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Makeover for Queen Mary

Started by cunardqueenBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 1228
Last post Aug 13, 2016, 09:35 AM
by Bruce Nicholls