Author Topic: QE2 build photos  (Read 79834 times)

Offline Clydebuilt2

Re: QE2 build photos
« Reply #90 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Absolutely wonderful thread....the photos are amazing :o

Can I ask the folks that visited the yard recently, when you look out onto the Clyde and when the tide is low, there are two slipways next to each other. The first one is closest to the fitting out quay and the other further along. There is a tribute Commemorative plaque above the slipway thats furthest away stating that was the slipway that launched the Queens BUT is that correct? Was it not the slipway "closest" to the fitting out quay???

-NairB ;D

When the first two Queens were built, there was a smaller slipway between them and the fitting out basin.  Some photos of Queen Mary up on the slipway show this quite clearly, as does this RAF WW2-era aerial shot of the John Brown yard
Note: Canmore link not available

In the photos of QE2 on her slipway, it appears that this smaller slipway has by then been built over, making QE2's the closest to the fitting out basin.

So, it looks like the first Queens were second from the basin, while QE2 was on the same slipway, it was then the first from the basin....

This same website has other fantastic period photos of the John Brown yard and Clydebank, including a Luftwaffe aerial survey.  There is a photo of QE2 on the slipway with Shieldhall cruising up the river, which I love as it shows that Shieldhall was there at the start and the finish for QE2...

Browsing all these photos leads me to believe that the fitting out basin wasn't "lengthened" for QM or QE2, just that the shape of the basin head was rebuilt and changed formation over the years.  But that's just me...  I'm open to being wrong...   :o

Tried to view this link (1/2/2017) but it seems to have gone!  Was very interested in seeing the Shieldhall, as we sailed on the Shieldhall from Southampton to Weymouth in Dorset in 2006/7?, not sure of the exact date. Have a photo on the Shieldhall leaving Southampton passing QE2 which may be of interest to see!
Bear with me while I find it, watch this space!...............
Clydebuilt2 :)
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2020, 05:25 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #91 on: Oct 01, 2017, 10:18 AM »
At our recent QE2 50 year conference Margaret McDougall from Clydebank gave me this photo to scan into the forum Gallery. 

The picture of QE2 in the John Brown's shipyard fitting out basin circa 1968.  The Clydebank Kilbowie Church Women's Guild were on an outing on the "Shieldhall" Sludge Boat.  Interesting photo as not only does it capture the QE2 but it captures a moment in time.  Margaret's mother was on the "Shieldhall" and probably took the photo.  I remember my mother talking about a Woman's Guild's outing on the "Shieldhall", so she may even have been on the same trip. 

Thanks to Margaret for helping to keep the memory alive. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #92 on: Oct 01, 2017, 11:30 AM »
At our recent QE2 50 year conference Margaret McDougall from Clydebank gave me this photo to scan into the forum Gallery. 

The picture of QE2 in the John Brown's shipyard fitting out basin circa 1968.  The Clydebank Kilbowie Church Women's Guild were on an outing on the "Shieldhall" Sludge Boat.  Interesting photo as not only does it capture the QE2 but it captures a moment in time.  Margaret's mother was on the "Shieldhall" and probably took the photo.  I remember my mother talking about a Woman's Guild's outing on the "Shieldhall", so she may even have been on the same trip. 

Thanks to Margaret for helping to keep the memory alive. 

What a fabulous photo and story!  Makes it all worthwhile!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #93 on: Oct 01, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Brilliant, 1 less hiding away

Offline pete cain

« Reply #94 on: Oct 29, 2018, 05:32 PM »
As the header says , apologies in advance if this link has been previously posted ( I'd be very surprised if not), but whilst looking for a photograph of QE2 under construction, showing a forest of ( I believe plastic waste pipes) this was to link regarding the topic Air-conditioning in' Life After Cunard '. Havn't found it yet but this is interesting anyway..   
 http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/exhibitions/qe2/qe2photogallery1/   Andy , shift as you see fit please
         I knew I had seen it somewhere  but could never re find it,  however on P32 of RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH2 The Last Great Liner  by Jannette McCutcheon is that image. The book was gifted by Isabelle, to whom I'll be eternally grateful for putting my mind at rest.
    I enclose a copy of said photo  courtesy of Cunard  via J&C McCutcheon.  Apparently 1 of a huge series taken by Upper Clyde Shipbuilders for Cunard.
 So Plastic pipes all over the place wonder how many in this shot, (where is it by the way)lasted without problems.
2010 till now to sort an answer  phew!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2018, 05:37 PM by pete cain »

Offline David Risley

« Reply #95 on: Nov 25, 2020, 10:19 AM »
That's a fun story to read about the funnel in the chimnies. It put me in mind of when I worked onboard as a Steward,going ashore in the Carribbean islands. I can't remember where now, but I went ashore on one of the smaller islands and we walked a long way all around. The funnel of QE2 was visible from all sides from dawn to dusk as we circumnavigated under warm tropical skies.