Author Topic: QE2 build photos  (Read 79832 times)

Offline skilly56

Re: QE2 build photos
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Hi Rich,

I guess I'm probably sober enough to participate again - I can read your question!! Just had a weekend of celebration, but managed to jolt myself out of it eventually by getting on the chainsaw all afternoon.

The boiler drums would have come down intact, as they would have been pressure tested and pre-commissioned ashore and not broken down again after that, otherwise they would have to go and pressure test them all over again after installation.

Skilly

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2010, 01:25 PM »
Is it too obvious to suspect that is the funnel shaft?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Bob C.

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 02:39 PM »
Pete, you are spot on.  That is the space in which the uptakes will go up and out to the funnel.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #63 on: Jul 02, 2010, 02:41 AM »
Check out the photo at the bottom of this webpage.  A truck (lorry) stopped at a roadside with a QE2 propeller enroute to John Browns!

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=155935
(scroll down to see the photo)
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 10:06 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #64 on: Jul 02, 2010, 08:27 AM »
That must have been quite a journey -
the roads were never much wider than that then-
the M1 motorway was (I think) still the only highway in the UK!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #65 on: Jul 30, 2010, 07:57 AM »
This is such a great picture  -
Note: link no longer available

Mods -
Is there by any chance the possibility that you can put it on as an image rather than this link?
I've checked and don't think it's here already.
Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2020, 09:58 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #66 on: Jul 30, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Thanks for the link that's a great link....

Just look at the workers faces....they are all smiling..I notice this so much in these old pictures...they were so happy yet look at their working conditions....but then they were building a QUEEN!

Pity the BBC didn't  clear the schedules for her departure ( other than BBC 24 digital)  seems QE2 was obviously not important enough by 2008........says it all really....how sad...

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #67 on: Jul 30, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Here's the pic Rosie Photo from Evening Times. (Hope it's OK to post this pic on the forum)

« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 04:57 PM by Beardy Rich »
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #68 on: Jul 30, 2010, 11:40 PM »
Thanks so much for posting the photo, Rich.
Much appreciated.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #69 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:29 PM »
I just love the photos of the workforce who worked on the ship. No safety helmets or safety shoes in those day. Thanks for posting.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #70 on: Aug 20, 2010, 06:41 AM »

Note: Link to Scotlands Images currently not available

The color photos of the observation bar are stunning!  If you do a search for Clydebank, you will also find photos of other great ships that John Brown built such as the battleship Hood.  These photos are a sad reminder what was a bustling shipbuilding trade on the Clyde in its prime.  :(
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 10:12 AM by Lynda Bradford »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #71 on: Aug 20, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Thanks for posting an amazing link with photos that form a huge part of the history of shipbuilding in Clydebank. I also loved the photos of the QE2 interior and I agree the photo of the Observation Bar is something else.  I do not know why Cunard took this away in subsequent refits as one of the best places in both the QM2 and Queen Victoria is the Comodore Club where you have the wonderful view out to sea while sipping cocktails. 

I can remember the QE2 cake (photo AAA00203) made by the City Bakery in Clydebank so it was good to see this again.  The City Bakeries in Clydebank was the place to go for morning or afternoon tea with my grannie.  I can remember there was a painting of the Queen Mary/Queen Elizabeth in the tea room (I wonder what happened to it). 

I was particularly fasinated with  the Queen Elizabeth photos  numbered AAA03195 and AAA03166 where you can see the John Brown work sheds in the foreground but more special is the view over Clydebank where you can see Singers Factory and the famous Singers clock.  AAA03166 is particularly good as you can see the Clydebank Town Hall clock in the foreground and in line with this is the Singers clock.   

Fantastic and thank you again for posting. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #72 on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:16 AM »
I have certainly enjoyed looking at these photos of the QE2 when she was being built.  I really appeciate seeing these Flagship and looking forward to seeing more.   
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #73 on: Jun 15, 2012, 08:24 AM »
River Clyde and the QE2 under construction 1967

River Clyde and the QE2 under construction 1967 by PhillipC, on Flickr
Thanks to PhillipC
(As far as I can see this isn't yet on the Forum)
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2012, 08:25 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #74 on: Jun 15, 2012, 08:30 AM »
This was taken shortly before her launch
https://www.flickr.com/photos/naughton2010/5666603681/
Thanks to alex.naughton's post on flickr - ?source unknown.

There are 58 interesting old images linked on the same page, including images of the whole original Pitkin Book about QE2, on flickr.
It seems as if the source of many other images remains unknown.

Mods - this needs to be moved to a more appropriate topic!
Sorry that 'it' won't let me do it for you!
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2012, 08:42 AM by Twynkle »