Author Topic: QE2 build photos  (Read 79833 times)

Offline Andy F

Re: QE2 build photos
« Reply #30 on: Aug 18, 2009, 01:07 AM »
Great shots Fairfield and welcome!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #31 on: Aug 22, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Yes indeed, scenes from Seawards the Great Ships showing the Fairfield yard at Govan and then possibly one of the big BP or Federal Steam Navigation Co tankers built by Brown's in that period, 1959-60.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2009, 09:35 PM by Fairfield »
Paul Strathdee

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #32 on: Aug 22, 2009, 09:39 PM »
A photo kindly given to me by Jim Orr of her fitting out, not long after the funnel went on I think.
Also one of my own just a week before she went off to Greenock.
Paul Strathdee

Online Scott Ebersold

« Reply #33 on: Aug 23, 2009, 04:34 AM »
Here is another series of construction, launching, and fitout photos in good resolution from the Clydebank Restoration website.  You can clearly see just how big of a hole was in the bow where the bow anchor once was nestled into.

http://www.clydebankrestoration.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=580

These are so great!  Thanks for sharing them.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #34 on: Aug 23, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Here is another series of construction, launching, and fitout photos in good resolution from the Clydebank Restoration website.  You can clearly see just how big of a hole was in the bow where the bow anchor once was nestled into.

Note: Link not active

One thing struck me when I looked at them - and I hope 'QE2 DXB' can get a look at them too - her beautiful hull , with a fresh coat of dark red, and then bright red, and then black gleaming paint.  Looks brand new then (obviously) but still does in 2009 after being repainted.  (please don't let me take this thread off-topic though - any discussions of the 09 dry docking should stay in that topic!).
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 10:03 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #35 on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:12 PM »
A John Brown photo in my collection which might be of interest showing QUEEN MARY in the basin with her bow in the cutout.
Paul Strathdee

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #36 on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Thank you for that! So now, we see what the scene caught in 2008 and 2009 should have looked like... a very different scene indeed...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2921599347/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3657525977/

What a hive of activity it was -- and how much work must have been going on in those huge workshops pictured here...

KEV

« Reply #37 on: Aug 31, 2009, 01:35 AM »
Excellent shots of an interesting detail on the quayside
The shots of the workers along the fence is quite touching

Offline pete cain

« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:11 PM »
 As the header says , apologies in advance if this link has been previously posted ( I'd be very surprised if not), but whilst looking for a photograph of QE2 under construction, showing a forest of ( I believe plastic waste pipes) this was to link regarding the topic Air-conditioning in' Life After Cunard '. Havn't found it yet but this is interesting anyway..   
 http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/exhibitions/qe2/qe2photogallery1/   Andy , shift as you see fit please
         I knew I had seen it somewhere  but could never re find it,  however on P32 of RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH2 The Last Great Liner  by Jannette McCutcheon is that image. The book was gifted by Isabelle, to whom I'll be eternally grateful for putting my mind at rest.
    I enclose a copy of said photo  courtesy of Cunard  via J&C McCutcheon.  Apparently 1 of a huge series taken by Upper Clyde Shipbuilders for Cunard.
 So Plastic pipes all over the place wonder how many in this shot, (where is it by the way)lasted without problems.
2010 till now to sort an answer  phew!!!

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2018, 05:18 PM by pete cain »

Offline Alistair

« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:53 PM »
I've had this old picture cut of the Clydebank Press hiding in a box for years. I thought I would share it.
I tried to re-balance the grey scale as the newspaper had gone all yellow with age so appologies for the quality.
It appeared in the summer of 1968, not sure exactly when though. The funnel is on but the mast is still not there yet. Looks like it was taken from Kilbowie Hill or possibly the high flats at the top with a telephoto lense. Doesn't she look stunning among all the old industrial buildings? When I read the words in the caption again after all these years I have to admit I got a lump in my throat. I've re-produced them here as they are very blurred on the image. I hope I'm not infringing anyone's copyright!

The funnel among the chimneys

GRANDMOTHER is the word for a woman who's life is complete.
The traces of age on her face can hide emotion, but when she holds her favourite granddaughter
in her arms something shows.
It is hard to define. A tenacious togetherness, a complete acceptance, a quiet pride.
Clydebank has many, many grandchildren. But when she gave life to John Brown's shipyard she scarcely
dreamed of anything so beautiful, so worthy of love...
...as the funnel among the chimneys.  Queen Elizabeth 2.

I don't remember the now defunct Clydebank Press being so poetic before but as a big fan of the aesthetics of the original funnel I have to agree with the sentiments!  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2020, 10:33 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:00 AM »
How beautiful...

that one certainly got me this morning......words cant say how it makes you feel......thanks for sharing!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Thank you, Alistair
What a find!
And yes - it all fits perfectly!
Rosie

Online Bob C.

« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:53 PM »
Awesome photo, I wonder how many more like it are out there
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2010, 03:01 AM by Bob C. »

Offline Alistair

« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:52 AM »
It turns out I was wrong about this picture coming from the Clydebank Press. It was either the Glasgow Herald or the Express.
I also now have a higher quailty scanned version of it available. It's 5Mb in size so if anyone would like a copy please email me direct.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Hi Alistair

thanks for posting the photo and the press story - the funnel among the chimneys.  This brought back memories for me. I was a teenager at the time when the QE2 was built and I remember being on an early morning bus going to work and as we were going down Kilbowie Road I looked out of the window to see the beauty of the QE2 towering above the Clydebank tenement buildings just like in the photo.  I have enjoyed all the links to the photos. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com