Author Topic: QE2 build photos  (Read 79836 times)

Offline Waverley

QE2 build photos
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Thought I would send in this old photo of QE2 at the shipyard. It was taken on the 2nd August 1968. Not much remains of the shipyard now. Only one of the large cranes as a tourist attraction.  Does anyone else have similar photos?
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2014, 10:38 PM by Lynda Bradford »
Robert

Offline Andy F

Re: QE2 build photos
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:41 PM »
Waverley - If not already done so, check out the following link, which contains a great series of photographs from the build/launch era:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/exhibitions/qe2/qe2photogallery1/

Rgds

Andy
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:59 PM »
Thought I would send in this old photo of QE2 at the shipyard. It was taken on the 2nd August 1968. Not much remains of the shipyard now. Only one of the large cranes as a tourist attraction.  Does anyone else have similar photos?

Very sadly, just what remains of the shipyard, the very place that was extended for QE2's bulbous bow :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2921599347/

It was such a poignant visit -- but it is wonderful to have seen the place of her birth!

Read more about the extended fitting out basin on this topic:
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,6042.0.html
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2014, 12:41 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Waverley

« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2009, 08:17 PM »
Enjoyed watching "Contract 736"

Posting a photo of the QE2 just after being launched. Interesting to see the list to starboard on the old Clyde paddle steamer due to the spectators.

« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:27 PM »
Another wonderful photo that brings history to life. So well done.

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014, 09:28 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2009, 08:36 AM »
I would call Queen Mary der Grosse a liner(think of Kaiser Wilhelm der grosse, both king and ship) to see the background to my nickname. I don't like to call her QM2. Would call her Quen Mary 2, as the first Q Mary still exists, but the letters 'belong" to QE2
OK, Q Mary2 is a liner, but a modern one, not in the classic mold. Her propulsion units, her hull shape (and I still have to set eyes on her stern) her upperworks are too radically different to QE2 and her predecessors to put her into their class. QE2 was herself a radical difference from Lusitania, Mauretania and ships of that era. Naval architecture has changed and changed again. At least Q Mary 2 LOOKS as if she could take on the North Atlantic at its worst. Q Vicky dosn't. I think she would have to run around a storm (or run away screaming)

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2009, 01:34 AM »
Impressive research!  Well done!!

In that case i'm going to assume it was for QE1, which I presume was the longest ship they ever built there ?  There's another question for you to find the answer to!

Hi Rob!  Great Forum.  We visited the Titan Crane in October while on the Final Farewell Cruise and our tour guide, who used to work in the yard I believe, stopped the bus just in front of the brick lined notch in the pier.  He had commented to us that this modification was done for Queen Mary so she would not hang out too far into the channel and that she was the largest ship they had constructed at the time.  I have a series of great photos of the area and I need to get them on my host site and post the link.  It was a beautiful clear day, October 5th, 2009 and it was sad to see basically nothing remains of the once great yard.

KenM
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2009, 03:51 AM »
I would call Queen Mary der Grosse a liner(think of Kaiser Wilhelm der grosse, both king and ship) to see the background to my nickname. I don't like to call her QM2. Would call her Quen Mary 2, as the first Q Mary still exists, but the letters 'belong" to QE2
OK, Q Mary2 is a liner, but a modern one, not in the classic mold. Her propulsion units, her hull shape (and I still have to set eyes on her stern) her upperworks are too radically different to QE2 and her predecessors to put her into their class. QE2 was herself a radical difference from Lusitania, Mauretania and ships of that era. Naval architecture has changed and changed again. At least Q Mary 2 LOOKS as if she could take on the North Atlantic at its worst. Q Vicky dosn't. I think she would have to run around a storm (or run away screaming)

Interesting post there Mauretania1907. You've hit the nail on the head insofar as Queen Mary 2, like her venerable sisters before her, is a liner and therefore designed to withstand whatever the North Atlantic can throw at her, whereas QV is designated a cruise ship. 

Incidentally, have you seen the pictures of QV's maiden T/A in tandem with QE2 from Jan 08?  If so then this perfectly illustrates the difference between the 2. Personally speaking, I would only want to do T/A on Queen Mary 2 but that's only my opinion.

As for Queen Mary 2's unique stern, Chris comments about this in more detail elsewhere on the forum but this should give you an idea https://www.flickr.com/photos/andyfitzsimmons/2901864370"
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2009, 04:05 AM by Andy Fitzsimmons »

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2009, 07:26 AM »
 :)Thankyou for lovely series of photos, especially QE2, but I must say I think QMary2 is also impressive. I want a close up look at her and am counting the days to her second arrival in Auckland. She came in 2007 and was greeted with huge crowds, but did not come last year. 8 days to go. I reserve judgement til then.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Thanks Mauretania and pleased you liked them. While we can all agree that there will never be another QE2, from my own experience, I can honestly say I like Queen Mary 2.  I had a great time aboard her last year and will defintely return soon but I can accept she will not be everyone's cup of (Afternoon) tea. Unlike her newer sister, she is individual and unique and in my opinion at least, certainly a most impressive and worthy successor to QE2.  Tempting as it might be though, do not compare her with QE2 for she is her own ship with her own identity, just as our much loved QE2 is/was.   

Offline Waverley

« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2009, 11:37 PM »
Museum photographs. Have a look, a few interesting views but I have not worked out how to enlarge them

Follow link below and enter QE2 in search box:
www.scran.ac.uk

or follow this link to QE2 photos
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014, 09:42 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Robert

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2009, 11:58 PM »
very nice, thanks.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2009, 01:04 PM »
they're great, thanks!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

KEV

« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Great views-many that I haven't seen before. Love the old Scammell? lorry
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014, 09:55 AM by Lynda Bradford »

NairB

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:46 PM »
Absolutely wonderful thread....the photos are amazing :o

Can I ask the folks that visited the yard recently, when you look out onto the Clyde and when the tide is low, there are two slipways next to each other. The first one is closest to the fitting out quay and the other further along. There is a tribute Commemorative plaque above the slipway thats furthest away stating that was the slipway that launched the Queens BUT is that correct? Was it not the slipway "closest" to the fitting out quay???

Maybe I got it wrong as it was dark and raining when I visited but this has been on my mind since and seeing the photos in this thread seems to verify what I am wondering.

Have the Clydebank Council got the Commemorative plaque on top of the wrong slipway?  See the two links below to get an idea what I mean. ???

I need to go back and check this as it is now bugging me LOL  :P

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/exhibitions/qe2/qe2photogallery4/aerialviewofshipno7361/

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/exhibitions/qe2/qe2photogallery4/aerialviewofshipno7362/

-NairB ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2009, 01:55 PM by NairB »

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:27 PM »

Can I ask the folks that visited the yard recently, when you look out onto the Clyde and when the tide is low, there are two slipways next to each other. The first one is closest to the fitting out quay and the other further along. There is a tribute Commemorative plaque above the slipway thats furthest away stating that was the slipway that launched the Queens BUT is that correct? Was it not the slipway "closest" to the fitting out quay???

-NairB ;D

When the first two Queens were built, there was a smaller slipway between them and the fitting out basin.  Some photos of Queen Mary up on the slipway show this quite clearly, as does this RAF WW2-era aerial shot of the John Brown yard.

Note:  the link Stowaway 2K posted is no longer active. However this photo on the Canmore site shows the smaller slipway if you zoom in:
https://canmore.org.uk/collection/1257244

In the photos of QE2 on her slipway, it appears that this smaller slipway has by then been built over, making QE2's the closest to the fitting out basin.

So, it looks like the first Queens were second from the basin, while QE2 was on the same slipway, it was then the first from the basin....

This same website has other fantastic period photos of the John Brown yard and Clydebank, including a Luftwaffe aerial survey.  There is a photo of QE2 on the slipway with Shieldhall cruising up the river, which I love as it shows that Shieldhall was there at the start and the finish for QE2...

Browsing all these photos leads me to believe that the fitting out basin wasn't "lengthened" for QM or QE2, just that the shape of the basin head was rebuilt and changed formation over the years.  But that's just me...  I'm open to being wrong...   :o
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 09:46 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:52 PM »
An excellent album of candid photos featuring QE2 at the John Brown yard...  sorry if this has been posted before...

Note:  link no longer active

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 09:47 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Bob C.

« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:24 AM »
Stowaway,
    These photos are simply awesome!!! Of course they raise more questions for me.  In the first few photos it can be seen that the port holes were cut after the steel was welded in place.  Anyone know how these were cut specially in such a straight line? 

KEV

« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2009, 12:22 AM »
What a quiet and serene set of pictures-you can just sense in your mind all the noise and activity that went before. Like so many desolate scenes of Britains great Industrial Centres
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2014, 07:31 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2009, 12:46 PM »
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014, 10:00 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #20 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:24 PM »
I have not worked out how to enlarge them

Simple - pay them for the privilege! They wast £9.99 for six months use or £14.99 for 12 months. :)

Offline mickey g

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 02:12 PM »
These were four photos I took early September 1968 from Queen Mary II. They appear on my flickr site (galeforce.19)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:19 AM by mickey g »
Yacht Club lover

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 03:19 PM »

Thank You!

These images are just so good -
and evoke all sorts of feelings - from real sadness now,
and it must have been really exciting then...

KEV

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 05:20 PM »
Fantastic Mickey-they look similar time to the shot in my collection (see further up in thread)
This forum keeps throwing up superb finds
Thanks for sharing

Offline Waverley

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 09:54 PM »
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014, 10:30 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Robert

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 10:17 PM »

Thank you for finding these!

There's something about looking up at her bow - even in photographs -
it was so good before, and now so very sad.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 08:45 AM »
I can't say that there must be more photographs of her launch now than there were at the time but that access is
 far more easily available. Thank you for finding that lot :)

Offline Waverley

« Reply #27 on: Jun 18, 2009, 12:19 PM »
QE2 propeller on a lorry.

Note: link Waverley posted to photo bucket picture is not active. However Bob C has posted a link in a later post to a similar picture:
http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=155935
(scroll down to see the photo)

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 10:08 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Robert

Offline Waverley

« Reply #28 on: Jun 26, 2009, 02:49 PM »
Robert

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #29 on: Aug 17, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Some old photos of her I have showing her in early days as No 736
Paul Strathdee

Offline Andy F

« Reply #30 on: Aug 18, 2009, 01:07 AM »
Great shots Fairfield and welcome!

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #31 on: Aug 22, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Yes indeed, scenes from Seawards the Great Ships showing the Fairfield yard at Govan and then possibly one of the big BP or Federal Steam Navigation Co tankers built by Brown's in that period, 1959-60.
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2009, 09:35 PM by Fairfield »
Paul Strathdee

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #32 on: Aug 22, 2009, 09:39 PM »
A photo kindly given to me by Jim Orr of her fitting out, not long after the funnel went on I think.
Also one of my own just a week before she went off to Greenock.
Paul Strathdee

Online Scott Ebersold

« Reply #33 on: Aug 23, 2009, 04:34 AM »
Here is another series of construction, launching, and fitout photos in good resolution from the Clydebank Restoration website.  You can clearly see just how big of a hole was in the bow where the bow anchor once was nestled into.

http://www.clydebankrestoration.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=580

These are so great!  Thanks for sharing them.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #34 on: Aug 23, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Here is another series of construction, launching, and fitout photos in good resolution from the Clydebank Restoration website.  You can clearly see just how big of a hole was in the bow where the bow anchor once was nestled into.

Note: Link not active

One thing struck me when I looked at them - and I hope 'QE2 DXB' can get a look at them too - her beautiful hull , with a fresh coat of dark red, and then bright red, and then black gleaming paint.  Looks brand new then (obviously) but still does in 2009 after being repainted.  (please don't let me take this thread off-topic though - any discussions of the 09 dry docking should stay in that topic!).
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 10:03 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #35 on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:12 PM »
A John Brown photo in my collection which might be of interest showing QUEEN MARY in the basin with her bow in the cutout.
Paul Strathdee

« Reply #36 on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:32 PM »
Thank you for that! So now, we see what the scene caught in 2008 and 2009 should have looked like... a very different scene indeed...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/2921599347/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3657525977/

What a hive of activity it was -- and how much work must have been going on in those huge workshops pictured here...

KEV

« Reply #37 on: Aug 31, 2009, 01:35 AM »
Excellent shots of an interesting detail on the quayside
The shots of the workers along the fence is quite touching

Offline pete cain

« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:11 PM »
 As the header says , apologies in advance if this link has been previously posted ( I'd be very surprised if not), but whilst looking for a photograph of QE2 under construction, showing a forest of ( I believe plastic waste pipes) this was to link regarding the topic Air-conditioning in' Life After Cunard '. Havn't found it yet but this is interesting anyway..   
 http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/exhibitions/qe2/qe2photogallery1/   Andy , shift as you see fit please
         I knew I had seen it somewhere  but could never re find it,  however on P32 of RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH2 The Last Great Liner  by Jannette McCutcheon is that image. The book was gifted by Isabelle, to whom I'll be eternally grateful for putting my mind at rest.
    I enclose a copy of said photo  courtesy of Cunard  via J&C McCutcheon.  Apparently 1 of a huge series taken by Upper Clyde Shipbuilders for Cunard.
 So Plastic pipes all over the place wonder how many in this shot, (where is it by the way)lasted without problems.
2010 till now to sort an answer  phew!!!

« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2018, 05:18 PM by pete cain »

Offline Alistair

« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:53 PM »
I've had this old picture cut of the Clydebank Press hiding in a box for years. I thought I would share it.
I tried to re-balance the grey scale as the newspaper had gone all yellow with age so appologies for the quality.
It appeared in the summer of 1968, not sure exactly when though. The funnel is on but the mast is still not there yet. Looks like it was taken from Kilbowie Hill or possibly the high flats at the top with a telephoto lense. Doesn't she look stunning among all the old industrial buildings? When I read the words in the caption again after all these years I have to admit I got a lump in my throat. I've re-produced them here as they are very blurred on the image. I hope I'm not infringing anyone's copyright!

The funnel among the chimneys

GRANDMOTHER is the word for a woman who's life is complete.
The traces of age on her face can hide emotion, but when she holds her favourite granddaughter
in her arms something shows.
It is hard to define. A tenacious togetherness, a complete acceptance, a quiet pride.
Clydebank has many, many grandchildren. But when she gave life to John Brown's shipyard she scarcely
dreamed of anything so beautiful, so worthy of love...
...as the funnel among the chimneys.  Queen Elizabeth 2.

I don't remember the now defunct Clydebank Press being so poetic before but as a big fan of the aesthetics of the original funnel I have to agree with the sentiments!  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2020, 10:33 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2010, 10:00 AM »
How beautiful...

that one certainly got me this morning......words cant say how it makes you feel......thanks for sharing!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Thank you, Alistair
What a find!
And yes - it all fits perfectly!
Rosie

Online Bob C.

« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:53 PM »
Awesome photo, I wonder how many more like it are out there
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2010, 03:01 AM by Bob C. »

Offline Alistair

« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:52 AM »
It turns out I was wrong about this picture coming from the Clydebank Press. It was either the Glasgow Herald or the Express.
I also now have a higher quailty scanned version of it available. It's 5Mb in size so if anyone would like a copy please email me direct.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Hi Alistair

thanks for posting the photo and the press story - the funnel among the chimneys.  This brought back memories for me. I was a teenager at the time when the QE2 was built and I remember being on an early morning bus going to work and as we were going down Kilbowie Road I looked out of the window to see the beauty of the QE2 towering above the Clydebank tenement buildings just like in the photo.  I have enjoyed all the links to the photos. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #45 on: Apr 09, 2010, 06:47 PM »
QE2 in John Browns shipyard 1967
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/111928
(Rob, please, might it be possible to post the photograph here?)

Click on 'more nearby', too!
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2010, 06:49 PM by Twynkle »

Online Bob C.

« Reply #46 on: Apr 09, 2010, 08:37 PM »
These were four photos I took early September 1968 from Queen Mary II. They appear on my flickr site (galeforce.19)

I just noticed this.  In the bottom of the 4 photos it looks like the engineering plant has been lit off evidenced by a thin stream of smoke coming from the funnel.  However it's not visible in the other 3 photos.  Is this smoke or is it dirt on the photo? 

It looks too natural for it to be a random smudging of dirt on the photo IMHO.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2010, 03:01 AM by Bob C. »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #47 on: Apr 12, 2010, 09:29 PM »
I have enjoyed the photos and links posted to this topic.  My Dad took these photos for me in 1967 so they are special to me. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #48 on: Apr 12, 2010, 09:31 PM »
3 more photos
www.qe2event.com

Offline Matt

« Reply #49 on: Apr 13, 2010, 06:26 AM »
Treasure those photo's forever Lynda, they are truely amazing!

Regards,
Matt
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 10:04 AM by Lynda Bradford »
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #50 on: Apr 13, 2010, 08:32 AM »
Lynda - Thank you!
and much appreciated!

These are superb - it's so good to see QE2 in the context of the yard.
There can't be that many that are as good in quality as these are.
Colour photography was still in it's early days then, like QE2!
No colour TV in the UK, and photos were often produced as 'slides!
Rosie

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2010, 08:59 AM by Twynkle »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #51 on: Apr 13, 2010, 07:29 PM »

Lynda - Thank you!
and much appreciated!

These are superb - it's so good to see QE2 in the context of the yard.
There can't be that many that are as good in quality as these are.
Colour photography was still in it's early days then, like QE2!
No colour TV in the UK, and photos were often produced as 'slides!
Rosie
Thanks Rosie and Matt for your comments. My Dad had taken the photos with a camera he had given me for my birthday that year (one of the first catridge film cameras).  I think my Dad must have had a good eye for taking photos. He would have been so interested in the content of this forum and would have been able to contribute a wealth of information had he still been alive.  He worked in John Brown's for about forty year and had worked on the three Queens.   

You may also be interested in this photo of the Gulftide (Jackup rig) that was being built at the same time as the QE2 photos were taken.  Although it is not a photo of the QE2 it does give a view from John Brown's and it is an indication of changes that were ahead for the company in years to come. 

www.qe2event.com

Offline Andrew Collier

« Reply #52 on: Apr 13, 2010, 09:43 PM »
This section just keeps getting better and better, many many thanks to Lynda and everyone else who has posted :-D
The Virtual Staff Captain

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2010, 08:08 PM »
Enjoy!

Offline Chris

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2010, 10:41 AM »
No. 12 is Quarter Deck if I am not mistaken.
What would ultimately become the Library and Bookshop?
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2010, 03:47 PM »
These are all magnificent photographs - much appreciated!

Image #15 - (daring not to guess)...
the very large opening at the top looks interesting! What was it waiting for?

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • Engineering Department 1984-1988
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2010, 05:49 PM »
These are all magnificent photographs - much appreciated!

Image #15 - (daring not to guess)...
the very large opening at the top looks interesting! What was it waiting for?

That image caught my eye too Rosie. I would guess that this would have been the boiler room.
Rich Drayson. Ex Snr Mechanic QE2 1984-1988.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Thanks, Rich

Still regarding image #15
The actual 'sense of space' is awesome!
How many decks high, do you think that space is?

Would the boilers have been lowered into the space in a similar way to the new MAN engines were, during the '87 refit?
Or maybe they were assembled in situ...?

And looking at the left image on Rob's site -
http://www.roblightbody.com/liners/qe-2/1987_Refit/
is that the TCR that you and Skilly were referring to, on the Engines Topic?
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1039.60.html
[hope this isn't off topic - images on the link gives a good idea of the context of Flagship's  images :)]

Online Bob C.

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2010, 07:14 PM »
It is the boiler room awaiting boilers and the opening at the top will eventually be covered by the funnel. 

I have a version of what Rob calls "1969 Cutaway 2" on his website.  In addition to the cutaway, my poster-size version has a separate drawing of the engineering plant.  Here's a picture of the poster and a closer view of the plant.  Sorry for the grainy pictures, took them with my cell phone.  You can sort of match the shape of the space in the above construction photo with the shape of the "housing" over the boilers seen in the poster.

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Thanks, Rich

Still regarding image #15
The actual 'sense of space' is awesome!
How many decks high, do you think that space is?

Would the boilers have been lowered into the space in a similar way to the new MAN engines were, during the '87 refit?
Or maybe they were assembled in situ...?

I would guess that the boilers would have been too large (tall) to lower into the ship? I would have thought that individual sections of boiler would have been craned in and assembled in situ. Maybe Skilly could shed some light on this?

Offline skilly56

« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2010, 11:12 AM »
Hi Rich,

I guess I'm probably sober enough to participate again - I can read your question!! Just had a weekend of celebration, but managed to jolt myself out of it eventually by getting on the chainsaw all afternoon.

The boiler drums would have come down intact, as they would have been pressure tested and pre-commissioned ashore and not broken down again after that, otherwise they would have to go and pressure test them all over again after installation.

Skilly

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2010, 01:25 PM »
Is it too obvious to suspect that is the funnel shaft?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Bob C.

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2010, 02:39 PM »
Pete, you are spot on.  That is the space in which the uptakes will go up and out to the funnel.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #63 on: Jul 02, 2010, 02:41 AM »
Check out the photo at the bottom of this webpage.  A truck (lorry) stopped at a roadside with a QE2 propeller enroute to John Browns!

http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=155935
(scroll down to see the photo)
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 10:06 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #64 on: Jul 02, 2010, 08:27 AM »
That must have been quite a journey -
the roads were never much wider than that then-
the M1 motorway was (I think) still the only highway in the UK!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #65 on: Jul 30, 2010, 07:57 AM »
This is such a great picture  -
Note: link no longer available

Mods -
Is there by any chance the possibility that you can put it on as an image rather than this link?
I've checked and don't think it's here already.
Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2020, 09:58 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #66 on: Jul 30, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Thanks for the link that's a great link....

Just look at the workers faces....they are all smiling..I notice this so much in these old pictures...they were so happy yet look at their working conditions....but then they were building a QUEEN!

Pity the BBC didn't  clear the schedules for her departure ( other than BBC 24 digital)  seems QE2 was obviously not important enough by 2008........says it all really....how sad...

Offline Beardy Rich

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
« Reply #67 on: Jul 30, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Here's the pic Rosie Photo from Evening Times. (Hope it's OK to post this pic on the forum)

« Last Edit: Jul 30, 2010, 04:57 PM by Beardy Rich »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #68 on: Jul 30, 2010, 11:40 PM »
Thanks so much for posting the photo, Rich.
Much appreciated.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #69 on: Aug 18, 2010, 05:29 PM »
I just love the photos of the workforce who worked on the ship. No safety helmets or safety shoes in those day. Thanks for posting.   
www.qe2event.com

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #70 on: Aug 20, 2010, 06:41 AM »

Note: Link to Scotlands Images currently not available

The color photos of the observation bar are stunning!  If you do a search for Clydebank, you will also find photos of other great ships that John Brown built such as the battleship Hood.  These photos are a sad reminder what was a bustling shipbuilding trade on the Clyde in its prime.  :(
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2022, 10:12 AM by Lynda Bradford »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #71 on: Aug 20, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Thanks for posting an amazing link with photos that form a huge part of the history of shipbuilding in Clydebank. I also loved the photos of the QE2 interior and I agree the photo of the Observation Bar is something else.  I do not know why Cunard took this away in subsequent refits as one of the best places in both the QM2 and Queen Victoria is the Comodore Club where you have the wonderful view out to sea while sipping cocktails. 

I can remember the QE2 cake (photo AAA00203) made by the City Bakery in Clydebank so it was good to see this again.  The City Bakeries in Clydebank was the place to go for morning or afternoon tea with my grannie.  I can remember there was a painting of the Queen Mary/Queen Elizabeth in the tea room (I wonder what happened to it). 

I was particularly fasinated with  the Queen Elizabeth photos  numbered AAA03195 and AAA03166 where you can see the John Brown work sheds in the foreground but more special is the view over Clydebank where you can see Singers Factory and the famous Singers clock.  AAA03166 is particularly good as you can see the Clydebank Town Hall clock in the foreground and in line with this is the Singers clock.   

Fantastic and thank you again for posting. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #72 on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:16 AM »
I have certainly enjoyed looking at these photos of the QE2 when she was being built.  I really appeciate seeing these Flagship and looking forward to seeing more.   
www.qe2event.com

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #73 on: Jun 15, 2012, 08:24 AM »
River Clyde and the QE2 under construction 1967

River Clyde and the QE2 under construction 1967 by PhillipC, on Flickr
Thanks to PhillipC
(As far as I can see this isn't yet on the Forum)
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2012, 08:25 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #74 on: Jun 15, 2012, 08:30 AM »
This was taken shortly before her launch
https://www.flickr.com/photos/naughton2010/5666603681/
Thanks to alex.naughton's post on flickr - ?source unknown.

There are 58 interesting old images linked on the same page, including images of the whole original Pitkin Book about QE2, on flickr.
It seems as if the source of many other images remains unknown.

Mods - this needs to be moved to a more appropriate topic!
Sorry that 'it' won't let me do it for you!
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2012, 08:42 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #75 on: Jun 15, 2012, 01:43 PM »
I like that view from the aeroplane; can't help wondering if that might just be the Shieldhall in the forground - didn't she used to work on the Clyde?
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2015, 01:43 PM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Bob C.

« Reply #76 on: Jul 13, 2012, 01:40 PM »
One if by land, two if by sea?  I posted a photo of one of QE2's props being brought in by truck (lorry).  Here is the QSF ling that takes you to the photo link with the photo being on the bottom of the webpage.

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,37.msg23374.html#msg23374 

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #77 on: Mar 18, 2015, 12:12 PM »
I like that view from the aeroplane; can't help wondering if tat might just be the Shieldhall in the forground - didn't she used to work on the Clyde?

Hi Peter,

The vessel in the foreground isn't Shieldhall - her bridge is much further back on the hull. It looks like some class of bulk carrier from the derricks on her decks but the photo isn't clear enough to identify the funnel livery could be an Everards vessel - they had quite a few of those centre castle boats in their fleet around about that time.

Got me thinking now Peter!!

Gav
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2015, 12:19 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #78 on: Mar 31, 2015, 03:37 PM »
We received this wonderful photo of QE2 from George C Griffiths. 

George said:
I had completely forgotten about it - but when I saw it I remembered clearly going down to John Browns to take a picture.

As you will see - it was taken upriver - not from inside the JB Shipyard - and I reckon during 1966 but possibly quite near to its launch in 1967.

In the background, slightly hidden, to the left can be seen the Titan Crane - still there today and open to the public.

The children looking through the railings are standing so close to the ship and watching what was going on.  I wonder who the children were and where George took the photo? I cannot remember being able to see into the shipyard but obviously this was possible. 

George also said of the photo

"it may be of no interest to anyone is that there must be millions like it - taken at the time.
But for me it is special - since I took it myself!" 

I think it is a very special photo and hope you all enjoy!
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #79 on: Mar 31, 2015, 05:38 PM »
What a marvelous photo of our beloved QE2, and how special to see the children peering at her through the fence.  Thank you, George, for sharing your wonderful photo with us, and thank you, Lynda, for posting it.

When our QE2 was being built, there was so much anticipation of her going into service.  Now looking back, in some ways it seems like another age, and in some ways it seems like yesterday.  And how did her nearly 40 year career come and go so quickly.   :(
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Bob C.

« Reply #80 on: Apr 01, 2015, 01:42 AM »
Outstanding photo!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #81 on: Apr 07, 2015, 01:04 PM »
Taken from Rothesay Dock by the looks of it?

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #82 on: Jan 17, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Not particularly clear, but a couple of shots of QE2 being built in the background, probably 1966/7 were on the BBC2 documentary about The Scotsman Newspaper tonight. (Upside down!!)
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2020, 06:32 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #83 on: Jan 17, 2017, 10:10 PM »
Thanks very much for sharing these photos !   :)

Offline Fairfield

« Reply #84 on: Jan 18, 2017, 07:50 AM »
Took libery of correcting. One of the photos does not open
Paul Strathdee

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #85 on: Jan 18, 2017, 10:54 AM »
Those are fantastic!  I love photos showing QE2 as a backdrop to Clydebank, they are few and far between.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #86 on: Jan 18, 2017, 02:21 PM »
QE2's presence is so powerful in the photo !

Online Cunarder Man

« Reply #87 on: Jan 18, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Took libery of correcting. One of the photos does not open

Much appreciated - I tried to correct them but with no luck! Thank you.

Offline Clydebuilt2

« Reply #88 on: Jan 28, 2017, 11:06 AM »
Hello,

GREAT PICTURE on this January's Newsletter!

Clydebuilt2  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2017, 11:45 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #89 on: Jan 28, 2017, 06:15 PM »
Hello,

GREAT PICTURE on this January's Newsletter!

Clydebuilt2  :)

Thanks - the photo was one that Fairfield had posted in the forum Gallery, where you can see see more fantastic QE2 build photos
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4

« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2017, 07:04 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt2

« Reply #90 on: Feb 01, 2017, 10:40 AM »

-NairB ;D

When the first two Queens were built, there was a smaller slipway between them and the fitting out basin.  Some photos of Queen Mary up on the slipway show this quite clearly, as does this RAF WW2-era aerial shot of the John Brown yard
Note: Canmore link not available

In the photos of QE2 on her slipway, it appears that this smaller slipway has by then been built over, making QE2's the closest to the fitting out basin.

So, it looks like the first Queens were second from the basin, while QE2 was on the same slipway, it was then the first from the basin....

This same website has other fantastic period photos of the John Brown yard and Clydebank, including a Luftwaffe aerial survey.  There is a photo of QE2 on the slipway with Shieldhall cruising up the river, which I love as it shows that Shieldhall was there at the start and the finish for QE2...

Browsing all these photos leads me to believe that the fitting out basin wasn't "lengthened" for QM or QE2, just that the shape of the basin head was rebuilt and changed formation over the years.  But that's just me...  I'm open to being wrong...   :o

Tried to view this link (1/2/2017) but it seems to have gone!  Was very interested in seeing the Shieldhall, as we sailed on the Shieldhall from Southampton to Weymouth in Dorset in 2006/7?, not sure of the exact date. Have a photo on the Shieldhall leaving Southampton passing QE2 which may be of interest to see!
Bear with me while I find it, watch this space!...............
Clydebuilt2 :)
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2020, 05:25 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #91 on: Oct 01, 2017, 10:18 AM »
At our recent QE2 50 year conference Margaret McDougall from Clydebank gave me this photo to scan into the forum Gallery. 

The picture of QE2 in the John Brown's shipyard fitting out basin circa 1968.  The Clydebank Kilbowie Church Women's Guild were on an outing on the "Shieldhall" Sludge Boat.  Interesting photo as not only does it capture the QE2 but it captures a moment in time.  Margaret's mother was on the "Shieldhall" and probably took the photo.  I remember my mother talking about a Woman's Guild's outing on the "Shieldhall", so she may even have been on the same trip. 

Thanks to Margaret for helping to keep the memory alive. 

www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #92 on: Oct 01, 2017, 11:30 AM »
At our recent QE2 50 year conference Margaret McDougall from Clydebank gave me this photo to scan into the forum Gallery. 

The picture of QE2 in the John Brown's shipyard fitting out basin circa 1968.  The Clydebank Kilbowie Church Women's Guild were on an outing on the "Shieldhall" Sludge Boat.  Interesting photo as not only does it capture the QE2 but it captures a moment in time.  Margaret's mother was on the "Shieldhall" and probably took the photo.  I remember my mother talking about a Woman's Guild's outing on the "Shieldhall", so she may even have been on the same trip. 

Thanks to Margaret for helping to keep the memory alive. 

What a fabulous photo and story!  Makes it all worthwhile!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #93 on: Oct 01, 2017, 05:04 PM »
Brilliant, 1 less hiding away

Offline pete cain

« Reply #94 on: Oct 29, 2018, 05:32 PM »
As the header says , apologies in advance if this link has been previously posted ( I'd be very surprised if not), but whilst looking for a photograph of QE2 under construction, showing a forest of ( I believe plastic waste pipes) this was to link regarding the topic Air-conditioning in' Life After Cunard '. Havn't found it yet but this is interesting anyway..   
 http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/exhibitions/qe2/qe2photogallery1/   Andy , shift as you see fit please
         I knew I had seen it somewhere  but could never re find it,  however on P32 of RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH2 The Last Great Liner  by Jannette McCutcheon is that image. The book was gifted by Isabelle, to whom I'll be eternally grateful for putting my mind at rest.
    I enclose a copy of said photo  courtesy of Cunard  via J&C McCutcheon.  Apparently 1 of a huge series taken by Upper Clyde Shipbuilders for Cunard.
 So Plastic pipes all over the place wonder how many in this shot, (where is it by the way)lasted without problems.
2010 till now to sort an answer  phew!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2018, 05:37 PM by pete cain »

Offline David Risley

« Reply #95 on: Nov 25, 2020, 10:19 AM »
That's a fun story to read about the funnel in the chimnies. It put me in mind of when I worked onboard as a Steward,going ashore in the Carribbean islands. I can't remember where now, but I went ashore on one of the smaller islands and we walked a long way all around. The funnel of QE2 was visible from all sides from dawn to dusk as we circumnavigated under warm tropical skies.