Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: The Liners Channel 4 series (1997)  (Read 2391 times)

Offline pete cain

The Liners Channel 4 series (1997)
« on: Nov 10, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Some time ago Channel 4 aired the series 'The Liners', have found them bundled together as 15min packages on Youtube, worth a second look if already seen, but well worth a look if never seen.  I don't know how Youtube works , i/e is it territorial ? , but maybe a chance for non U K members to see this good series, have only posted 1 link, all the others readilly available on the side menu of Youtube.    

As ever thanks to Youtube & those who post , in this case   lblthe01  
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2011, 05:21 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Maybe this is the same series as this one?

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1106.0.html

Could someone who watched the series please check the YouTube videos? I have a slight doubt because you mention Channel 4, whereas the other series appears to have been on the BBC. Thank you!
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2011, 07:43 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Thank you very much for this information, Pete. I have moved your posting here, on the assumption that this is the series you are writing about.

Could someone who watched the series please check the YouTube videos and confirm? I have a slight doubt because you mention Channel 4, whereas the original series appears to have been on the BBC. Thank you!

Isabelle - According to the description on the YouTube page - These are clips from Channel 4's programmes - ? their date.

Pete, I've only been able to watch the first minute of the first film (1935 - 1958) and it's superb!
It looks as if it's digitalised film mixed with real film, if you know what I mean!
Can't wait to get a solid internet line, and will watch much more when I can.
Thank you so much for finding and posting these.

Looking at the launch on video #1, reminds me to ask - do you (as a man with a spanner!!) / or anyone else know - what it is, inside the hull that the drag chains are fixed to, and how they are fixed?  It must be something mighty strong.

All the best to you and Mrs Pete,
Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2011, 07:46 PM »
I just finished watching the 4 parts of "The Great Duel".  Simply outstanding and it contained footage I have never seen.  I can't wait to dive into the rest of the episodes.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:37 PM »
Rosie, as you probably know already I used to work for Vickers Armstrong shipbuilders at Barrow so was privvy to witnessing quite a few dynamic launches ,admittedly in my time they were Royal Navy vessels, however the principle is the same, regarding the drag chains,---- Huge cast hooks (for want of a better word) were litterally  bolted to the sides of the ship, and the drag chain fixed, I don't know how those clever people managed it , but each drag chain took its own weight by a method of hawsers so that the side of said ship wasn't ripped out.   Also some very clever people estimated the weight of chain necessary to bring the ship to a standstill within a certain time, e/g QE2 had the tightest of space to stop moving. All this done with slide rules , experience ,& when you watch the rest of the series of The Liners, a few tight buttocks, likewise at Barrow, Walney channel is really tight for space, so after a launch the need to bring a moving mass of soooo many tons is paramount.   As a total side line here, a lot of years ago we lost a submarine at launch, there is always a finite point with tidal launches,  to launch just before the tide stops running (gives a reasonable amount time in case things go wrong ) anyway after she was in the water,  all the lines thron from her to the tugs just missed, meanwhile with the tide still coming in at a rate  of knots she drifted very quickly out of the dreged area & ended up on a sandbank, quite safe, but very embarrasing when the tide went out she was over at quite an angle untill 12 hrs later under cover of darkness the refloat & recapture were carried out.  After that a clever but simple device was fitted to the upper deck, consisting of a pointy bit of steel, this captured a hawser during the launch, said hawser was attached to a tug, simples as they say on the telly, I'm afraid that launces down a slipway are a thing of the past, I'm really priveleged to've been there & seen it. Will try & search out some photos of big hooks on side of ship to post...
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2011, 07:44 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline pete cain

« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2011, 09:48 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Thank you very much for this information, Pete. I have moved your posting here, on the assumption that this is the series you are writing about.

Could someone who watched the series please check the YouTube videos and confirm? I have a slight doubt because you mention Channel 4, whereas the original series appears to have been on the BBC. Thank you!

Hello Isabelle, it was a completely different series, aired in 1997.  I have a book for the first series and its authored by Rob McAuley.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: The Liners Channel 4 series (1997)
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2011, 07:47 AM »
Thank you Rob, for this information.

I have separated the two threads now and look forward to watching those videos when on faster broadband. Looks like they are well worth waiting for!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: The Liners Channel 4 series (1997)
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2011, 11:21 AM »
I would guess that this has been put on YouTube illlegally, and is in breach of copyright, and will therefore probably suddenly disappear, so watch it while you can!

When this series came out, it re-awakened by interest in liners as a hobby/interest, 10 years after being aboard QE2.  Later that year I would visit Queen Mary in Long Beach and, of course, that was the year Titanic the movie came out.  At the time I was interested in Titanic (totally uninterested now) and the movie was absolutely massive at the time.  I'm sure the C4 series coming out in the same year isn't a coincidence.  All of this, of course, resulted in massively increased interest in QE2, and the purchase of Cunard by Carnival and ultimately the QM2.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.