Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth - Hamilton  (Read 5924 times)

Offline CAP

Queen Elizabeth - Hamilton
« on: Oct 30, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Below are a few of the images I took of the port of registration name change.  

Initially the work commenced soon after the ship arrived in Amsterdam, the plate was hoisted from the tender and then welded into place.  It was then painted with red-oxide primer.  This stage was completed during the afternoon of 24/10/11 and the irony of the day was that moored opposite QE was river cruiser bearing the name of.... Britannia!  But of Swiss registration.

(Click on thumbnail for larger images)

Things were then left until her arrival in Zeebrugge on 26/10/11 when work recommenced with re-painting the plate in Federal Grey and the the letters obviously in white.  
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2011, 01:11 PM by CAP »

Online cunardqueen

Re: Queen Elizabeth - Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2011, 01:41 PM »
If anyone has seen the finished botch up job marking the end of an era in shipping history, paint job, do we think it looks professional or a bit not quite right..l think the T in Hamilton looks unusual, and really it just doesnt look all the same, does it ...?

Then again l had my rose coloured spectacles on and they were somewhat damp.... ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Thanks for posting these CAP
Did you think that initially, it looked as if the changed the size of font with the T?!
(Credit to the person who chose not to rub out Southampton whilst she was alongside there)

And the flag, is she still flying Captain Wells' blue ensign?
Rosie.
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline CAP

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2011, 04:04 PM »
Hey Rosie,

A couple more images of the plate, this probably gives you a better view of the font.  What appears to be different sizing of the letters is probably down to a trick of light or camera angle.  On these they look the same...

The Blue Ensign remains!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2011, 04:15 PM by CAP »

Offline CAP

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2011, 04:08 PM »
If anyone has seen the finished botch up job marking the end of an era in shipping history, paint job, do we think it looks professional or a bit not quite right..l think the T in Hamilton looks unusual, and really it just doesnt look all the same, does it ...?

Then again l had my rose coloured spectacles on and they were somewhat damp.... ;)

CQ take a look at this to see the professional job done on the lifeboats!!!!

And the dilemma facing passengers should something have happened...

The front of the lifeboats remained as Southampton whereas the rears had the new port name.  I guess if it came to it, it would all depend on where you sat!!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2011, 04:15 PM by CAP »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2011, 08:25 PM »
  Quote from: Cunardqueen on Today at 01:41:09 PM

Then again l had my rose coloured spectacles on and they were somewhat damp....

CQ take a look at this to see the professional job done on the lifeboats!!!!

I should have said l was referring to the T as in Hamilton on the stern of the ship.
It to my eyes on the photos Iv seen just doesnt match up..... :(

If they can botch up a job like this, what on earth will the Chapel look like  ::)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline pete cain

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2011, 04:52 PM »
 Saw the same sort of botched plate on Vikkis stern after she'd clouted the docks in Valetta (should've heard the cheering on QE2 when announced) we didnt go into Valetta the day before (i think it was) because the weather was too rough, guess these people
thought their Pods'n'things would be fine and dandy, turns out the opposite, anyway I recon that there plate with HamItOn on the back of Lizzie is inreadiness for the inevitable  . Pro active repairs & name change in one go..

Offline andyh

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:36 AM »
I can confirm now alll the lifeboats have the same name (Hamilton) front and rear  :(

Offline tdickson

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2011, 07:27 PM »
I can confirm the Qe has been in Southampton today with the above mentioned welded on plate bearing the name Hamilton surrounded by nice new GREY paint on her stern and all lifeboats bear the same name ,Plate could easily be de-welded when Mr. Shankls and co realise they have made a mistake. Hope they make a better job next week in Hamburg on the QM2

Pat Curry

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2011, 08:21 PM »
So the American-owned, Italian-built Vista ships are now registered in Jamaica, not to mention the French built flagship.  I expect the grey paint is Chinese and the steel for the plate is Indian.  :o :( >:(

If the Queens didn't rely on her British passengers (most of whom think the ships are all British) they (the ships) probably wouldn't  visit Britain again. 

Meanwhile her all-British predecessor languishes in Dubai. :'(

What a curious multinational world we live in. ???

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I'm sure you meant Bermuda instead of Jamaica.  Yes?

Offline Andy F

« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:54 AM »
As previously reported, QE was re-registered during her recent overnight stay in Amsterdam.  Following her return to Southampton on 28 October, she then sailed on a 19 day voyage to the Holy Land, during which time the tenders were re-marked.  The initial stage of the voyage, the inboard (port) side of the tenders were already showing Hamilton, while outboard it was still Southampton.  This was progressively changed starting while alongside in Gibraltar and contining throughout the voyage. As will be noted, the font used on the tenders is now akin to a stencil and looks pretty naff IMO.

While a number of guests expressed their displeasure at the loss of Southampton from the stern, the greater concern was what impact (if any), this will have on service in the longer term. Time will tell...

A couple of shots of the tenders follows, including the new call-sign, together with both blue and red ensigns:

Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Andy F

« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2011, 12:56 AM »
and the view aft:

Offline Andy F

« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:00 AM »
And the flag, is she still flying Captain Wells' blue ensign?Rosie.
Yes (when they remember as QE sported a combination of both blue and red, though not at the same time obviously!), otherwise the traditional red ensign continues to be flown when he is not on board