Author Topic: 2012 Archive - QE2 Story 2012 Calendar Update and Preview  (Read 12196 times)

Offline pete cain

Re: QE2 Story 2012 Calendar Update and Preview
« Reply #40 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:53 PM »
 I'm so surprised nobody has posted the countdown to  Jan 1, regarding 'our calender', ours is out now (as we speak), front cover waiting, my countdown started  more than a week ago , abit like an Advent calender, Thankyou Lynda & those who helped you, in helping my next 12months bearable, Happy New Year................

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #41 on: Dec 30, 2011, 08:35 PM »
Thank-you Pete.  

I have my Calendar ready and waiting to be put up after the "bells" tomorrow evening. It is rather nice to just gaze at the front cover as that view of QE2 holds many memories for most people who enjoyed time on deck.  

We had ordered 110 Calendars but received 112 as two front covers had slight imperfections.  Only 112 copies of the 2012 Calendar so if you are one of the fortunate people who ordered a Calendar I hope you treasure this unique item of which there are only 112 in the world.

The January photo was submitted by Highlander 0108 a dark but magnificent image of the ship.  

Enjoy this photo along with all the others in the Calendar and may you have a Happy and Healthy New Year

:)

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #42 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:09 PM »
I am keeping my calendar carefully in the study, well out of the reach of the kids, and indeed I do regard it as a collectors' item.

That doesn't mean it isn't getting looked at, of course... :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2011, 05:19 AM »
Here's a liitle background on that photo.  I was actually not very happy with Captain McNaught. ;)  The ship was early into Manhattan!  As I had turned off the highway just before the George Washington Bridge to make my way down to the terminal, I could see the iconic funnel in the distance, already in the pier.  I missed the final docking!  I think I got there at 5:30am too so I might have gotten the arrival time wrong! 

All was not lost as the early morning lighting, nevertheless, made for some stunning shots.  This was done, hand held, with my new Nikon D90, which takes fabulous low light pictures even without a tripod, which I had neglected to bring anyway.  It was the beginning to a truly sad day; the last time I would see the ship.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #44 on: Dec 31, 2011, 10:24 AM »
Thank-you Ken for this additional information about the photo and the camera that you used to take the photo. 

I particularly like the January  photo, because in Scotland, at this time of year, we only have light for about seven hours a day, but by the end of the month there is more light and we know we are going towards Spring and a new beginning. In this photo QE2 is sitting in the darkness waiting for a new beginning. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #45 on: Dec 31, 2011, 02:50 PM »
At last, after all the Christmas commotion, a proper word of thanks to you, Lynda, for the calendars you sent here.

The content was no surprise -- and its excellence is all thanks to you!

But I was not prepared for the quality of the wrapping. Each of the three calendars individually wrapped in a padded envelope reinforced with cardboard, and the whole wrapped in a blue plastic cover -- really excellent, Lynda, and I am sure they arrived in perfect condition in all the various parts of the world. Mine will have to travel farther in January, and with this wrapping it should manage a second journey without coming to the slightest grief.

I am already looking forward to seeing it in the most prominent place on my wall and to enjoying it for the whole year!

And I am also looking forward to preparing next year's calendar as we go along!   ;D .

Offline Lachlan

« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2012, 02:31 AM »
Lynda,

a bit off-topic, but I've just noticed on the February page of the 2012 calendar the note about 16 February being the last time QE2 crossed the international dateline. That would have been a westbound crossing. Just for the record, she re-crossed the IDL eastbound on about 27 March, 2008 en route from Osaka to Honolulu. Maybe there's some technical reason I'm unaware of that says re-crossing doesn't count.

I love the calendar. If there's a problem with it it is that it causes me sit gazing at it reminiscing about our time spent on the ship.

Cheers,

Lachlan

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Hello Lachlan

Glad to hear that you are enjoying the Calendar.  I also love taking time to stare at the photos and each time I see something different.

Thank-you for the information about the last Eastbound crossing of the IDL.  The information for the Calendar had been taken from the QE2 timeline information compiled by members which I will update by adding last crossing westbound.  I will also add the last eastbound crossing to the timeline. Unfortunately there is nothing can be done to update the Calendar.  

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1789.0.html

ps I have moved this post to the 2012 Calendar topic
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2012, 09:31 AM by Lynda »
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #48 on: Feb 13, 2012, 12:11 PM »
Thank you so much, Lachlan and Lynda. I have now corrected the QE2 timeline and added the real final crossing of the International Dateline (22 March 2008). These corrections are extremely welcome, as we strive to keep the timeline correct!

The final crossing is described here by Malcolm in his diary :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,543.msg10060.html#msg10060

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Now that we are quite a few months into the new year, I want to tell Lynda how grateful I am for her excellent work on this calendar -- and to thank the photographers for their wonderful contributions.

Every day, I enjoy the pictures and the quality of the work that reproduced them for us. It is such an excellent way to keep the memories of QE2 alive and to enjoy once more the moments we spent on or with the ship.

I am also glad that each month's picture is different -- there are so many aspects to her, and the pictures help us to recall some of these.

P&O 7-ship event in Southampton, 3 July 2012

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 14
Views: 4954
Last post Jul 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Newsletter September 2012: 45th Anniversary of QE2 Launch

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 1584
Last post Sep 18, 2012, 08:20 PM
by Lynda Bradford
New Years Eve on Queen Mary 2011-2012

Started by cunardqueenBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 20
Views: 8297
Last post Feb 01, 2012, 09:24 PM
by cunardqueen
PS Waverley timetable 2012

Started by No 736Board PS Waverley

Replies: 3
Views: 3207
Last post Sep 21, 2012, 04:05 PM
by Bruce Nicholls
13 July 2012

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Cunard