Author Topic: The changing colours of QE2  (Read 22379 times)

Offline Andy F

Re: The changing colours of QE2
« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2009, 02:15 PM »
A great collection there Chris.  Re the funnel debate, my earliest memories are of the original white & black stovepipe version and when I saw the first images of the newer fatter design, I wasn't sure tbh.  This was such a radical change, not unlike changing the nose or delta wing on Concorde. However, I soon grew accustomed to it and in retrospect, the slimline version now (to me at least), doesn't look right. That said, it's a personal thing but while the latter version gets my vote, they are both synonymous with the greatest ship I have ever known or likely to! 
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Online Twynkle

« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2009, 08:09 PM »

Wasn't the white and black one just too cool - and a bit skinny?

The red and black is more traditional...and it's easier to see!

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline R80OOP

« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2009, 05:01 PM »
I always think that when she had her new funnel  - she was growing up from being the teenager into a beautiful lady.... and gaining those few extra pounds made her even more elegant......

Though I will be honest ,I did like the Cunard lion in gold they added above the Cunard lettering ( if only it was minus the blue speed stripe) that did look smart - made her look very regal
However does any one remeber when Tragalgar House cheekily put their house flag emblem on her stern superstructure - just before the  Lido club????/magradome or was it post magradome - ??? 

Ne way what ever form she took over her life from the non-traditional whitefunnel - and new kitchens - she's a pure head turner!!!
cheers

Offline R80OOP

« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Folks - the Cunard funnel colours have changed over the years!!!

In fact I believe that the Queen Mary was the first Liner to bare the Cunard Orange/Red - This was due to the fact that White star merged with Cunard in 1934 - hence why the QM was able to re-start building , as the government enforced this merger, as the ailing White Star Line was on her last legs (last Liner Georgic - which sailed under Cunard White Star in her White star livery)

I believe this is when the funnels became this colour as it was a mix of Cunard and White Star colours (white star - buff yellowish - Cunard - red)

Cheers

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2009, 06:19 PM »
I don't really mean to be the voice of decent here but what I have read about "Cunard Red" has been very clear that it has been the same "red-orange" since the buttermilk/ochre mixture was applied to the original Cunarders in the 1800s. 

After the merger of Cunard and White Star the Majestic retained its White Star livery (yellow funnel and stripe near the top of black hull) for the remainder of her career.   And the traditional Cunard Red (aka red-orange) was applied to the Cunard-White Star's new super-liners (QM and QE) as it had been to all previous Cunarders.

The notable exception was QE2 who only had this color applied to the inside of funnel scoop until later in life (as we all know).

s

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #25 on: Apr 10, 2009, 04:13 AM »
Scott - my understanding is that you are indeed correct. The colour was due to the mixture used on the funnels during the early-days. The black top was actually originally caused by this mixture becoming dirty / burnt by the heat and soot while the original 'black bands' were the connection mechanism between the funnel sections.

After the Cunard-White Star merger, the White Star liners retained their buff funnel livery. This was most notable with Britannic and Georgic which retained their unique identity long after White Star disappeared. In fact, Britannic was the last of the White Star Liners, retaining her original colours until 1960.

http://www.chriscunard.com/archives3.htm#Britannic
http://www.chriscunard.com/archives3.htm#MV_Georgic

QE2 - as you say, was the start of an exception to the Cunard funnel colour rule. Her scoop sported the "Cunard Red" while the rest of her funnel was white & black. Similarly we saw white funnels aboard Cunard Ambassador, Adventurer and Countess until the Countess appeared in traditional livery. QE2 followed after the Falklands campaign.

Interestingly to note is I've heard that QM2 actually was painted with the wrong shade of Cunard red and only last year during her refurbishment in Hamburg was she treated to the traditional Cunard red. During my recent voyage aboard her funnel is looking magnificent in the red/orange we're all so fond of - but indeed looking back at photographs from 2004 and 2007 it does appear to be a darker shade toQE2 or those that came before her.
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2009, 04:16 AM by Chris »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #26 on: Apr 10, 2009, 02:20 PM »
Interestingly to note is I've heard that QM2 actually was painted with the wrong shade of Cunard red and only last year during her refurbishment in Hamburg was she treated to the traditional Cunard red.

An interesting post in response to what is becoming a most fascinating thread.  Funny you should mention QM2's funnel makeover though.  I was looking at some shots taken earlier this week, the fiirst I've seen post refit, and although the funnel looked brighter, I assumed this was because it had been repainted recently.  Hadn't realised it was a different shade though.
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #27 on: Apr 10, 2009, 03:45 PM »
That is interesting about the possible wrong shade on QM2's funnel.  I remember looking up at it a lot thinking something was off but couldn't put my finger on it.  I did notice that at night it appeared even redder because there were red lights shining on it.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #28 on: Apr 10, 2009, 09:43 PM »

Might the weather and sea air have had any effect on the red paint?
It certainly did on the bonnet of a red car! 
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #29 on: Apr 11, 2009, 04:12 AM »
I've been thinking about how QM2 might have been painted the wrong shade of Cunard red.  I've found two pics - one the maiden QM2, the other the final West bound QE2.  I think a mistake was made.   ::)

« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2018, 11:51 PM by Scott Ebersold »

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #30 on: Apr 11, 2009, 08:11 AM »
QE2's funnel is just so perfect.

It's seeing images like that where the reality really hits - she's actually gone...

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #31 on: Apr 11, 2009, 02:50 PM »
I think a mistake was made.   ::)

Scott - I agree that the Cunard Red went back to the original "paint". What you have produced it that Cunard made a mistake painting the QM2.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #32 on: Apr 12, 2009, 05:07 AM »
On the Farewell to the UK cruise, Carol Marlow mentioned that the color of QM2's funnel was "off" and was due to be corrected during the November drydocking.  I can't remember how the question was raised but she commented that there had been much discussion of the QM2's funnel color and it indeed was a mistake by the yard that would be corrected.

KenM
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #33 on: Apr 12, 2009, 10:07 AM »
On the Farewell to the UK cruise, Carol Marlow mentioned that the color of QM2's funnel was "off" and was due to be corrected during the November drydocking.

I remember that vaguely now that you mention it. But, like you, can't remember the circumstances of the comment. I thought she gave a talk on that cruise but I've just looked quickly through the programmes and can't see it.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #34 on: Apr 12, 2009, 05:52 PM »
On the Farewell to the UK cruise, Carol Marlow mentioned that the color of QM2's funnel was "off" and was due to be corrected during the November drydocking.

I remember that vaguely now that you mention it. But, like you, can't remember the circumstances of the comment. I thought she gave a talk on that cruise but I've just looked quickly through the programmes and can't see it.

She did a talk on the new QV and somehow got on that subject.  It really was a veiled PR attempt to win over the devoted QE2 fans to try her out in the future, if you remember.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #35 on: Apr 12, 2009, 07:01 PM »
It really was a veiled PR attempt to win over the devoted QE2 fans to try her out in the future, if you remember.

I'm afraid that, in my case, her words were wasted.

Offline Steve & Mark

« Reply #36 on: Oct 09, 2010, 09:19 PM »
Regarding the repainting of the funnels on the old Queen Mary in Long Beach,

here is a photo of the paint tin they were using. This was from a visit to the ship in December 2008.

bobso

« Reply #37 on: Aug 05, 2011, 08:02 AM »
Is this colour chart any use to help with the changing colours of QE2 over the years?

Offline Rod

« Reply #38 on: Aug 07, 2011, 08:39 PM »
When QE2 came out there were no black stripes on the funnel. When the change was made, does anybody know how the black stripes were first put on?
QUIZ QUESTION OF THE MONTH!

Online Twynkle

« Reply #39 on: Aug 07, 2011, 08:56 PM »
When QE2 came out there were no black stripes on the funnel. When the change was made, does anybody know how the black stripes were first put on?
QUIZ QUESTION OF THE MONTH!

Weren't the stripes made of Gaffer / aka Duct tape, and stuck oon to the red bit at certain intervals?? ;)

QE2 in white / grey / pebble grey hull colours 1983-1984

Started by Louis De SousaBoard The 1980s

Replies: 79
Views: 35033
Last post Aug 03, 2017, 06:10 PM
by trevorc
P&O - A change to house colours?

Started by CAPBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 27
Views: 7926
Last post Feb 09, 2015, 08:40 PM
by tdickson