Poll

When onboard in which outdoor public spaces did you spend most of your time?

Bit Beneath the Bridge
11 (29.7%)
Boat Deck
9 (24.3%)
Sports Area
1 (2.7%)
Sun Deck/Funnel bar
3 (8.1%)
Sun Deck Aft End
3 (8.1%)
One Deck Pool Area
3 (8.1%)
Signal Deck (1969) before the Penthouses
1 (2.7%)
Penthouse balconies
0 (0%)
Areas reserved for crew only
3 (8.1%)
Other (please specify)
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Open Decks  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Open Decks
« on: Aug 29, 2011, 04:23 PM »
What was the best open deck area to enjoy those days on board?

You may choose three areas where you spent your time.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2011, 06:46 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Open Decks
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Thank you, Louis! Another enjoyable poll ahead for us.

Please have a look, everyone, whether all your favourite areas are covered and let us know whether any other outdoor space needs to be included.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2011, 06:43 PM »
I chose the "bit beneath the bridge" but did spend my outdoor time elsewhere on an almost equal basis. 

However, I chose the BBB as it was my first destination while underway.  There was nothing like leaning at a 45 degree angle into the wind pretending to fly.  But because it was such an energy sapping activity, I did find myself traveling to and recovering at one of the less dynamic outdoor venues. 

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2011, 10:16 PM »
I chose the "bit beneath the bridge" but did spend my outdoor time elsewhere on an almost equal basis.  

You still have two votes left, Bob!

Lovely to think of all those outdoor on-deck areas... I found it very hard ever just to sit down in any of them, preferring to wander about and see the ship and the sea from all sides. But the Bit Beneath the Bridge... and the swimming pool...  ;D  !

And at sailaway I had to get as close as possible to the mast... and to the voice of QE2!

Online Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2011, 03:13 AM »
Thanks Isabelle, I completely missed that we get 3 votes.

OK, I can't get back into vote but I'll put the other two here:

The Original Sports Deck - loved running around here then darting into the children's theater to watch Woody Woodpecker cartoons.

The Signal Deck (pre QM & QE suites) 1969-1977.  Spying on the bridge team when they were out on the bridge-wings, nice views of the ocean from on high plus great smells coming out of the kitchen exhaust from the mast.

« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2011, 03:22 AM by Bob C. »

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2011, 07:11 AM »
Thanks Isabelle, I completely missed that we get 3 votes.

OK, I can't get back into vote

Try again, Bob, and see whether it works now.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Worked.  I chose as stated above, the "other" selection is the original 1969 Sports Deck.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2011, 09:11 PM »
For me it was the Bit Beneath the Bridge, Boat Deck and One Deck aft by the Ensign staff, though many happy hours spent drinking coffee and having a smoke outside the Lido after Dinner or drinks outside the Yacht Club on a balmy evening came pretty close
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2011, 10:07 PM »
Poll: 'Outer decks'

"other - please specify"

Quarter Deck
The Bit Outside the Yacht Club windows  :)

Another 'other' - The Cunard Bench

IMG_6305 , on Flickr
(Please may this stay here until there's a poll on The Best Seat outside?!)

and another other - Hanging over the railings absolutely anywhere!
(heading off to hide - just in case Louis's extra-cross with me :D )

This is the best poll Ever...  Well, perhaps almost!
Thanks so much for this.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2011, 10:21 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2011, 01:53 PM »
There was a space aft and behind the Bridge Wing on the "bit beneath the Bridge" where the deck narrowed. It was a great spot to get some space from the crowds and get a nice high view of activity as the ship manoeuvred in port.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #10 on: Sep 04, 2011, 05:56 PM »
Yes Chris that "bit" was also special.

Offline QE2 Canuck

« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Hi All.....I voted Bit beneath the Bridge, Boat Deck and other.... my other is the same as one mentioned by Twinkle...hanging over the railings absolutely everywhere!!

QE2 Canuck    Linda C

Online pete cain

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:40 PM »
I searched the forum to post this short video  in the correct place, hope i'm successful,  Fashion On The QE2 c/o British Pathe.    http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=73222http://    Apart from still photos in books & etc, I didn't realise how much space QE2 had before all
the balcony cabins were installed. It's worth (well almost) watching Lionel Blair making full use of said space, whils he does his stuff to camera;  as for the fashion
well it didn't age nearly as well as QE2, in my opinion. I read somewhere recently, that QE2 had more open space as a transatlantic
liner, than as a cruise ship, maybe so, but she still had more open usable public space up top than Vikki etc.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2011, 08:34 PM »
This is a great video that I've never seenbefore.  Its great that it shows alot of exterior shots (and some interior) as they were in 1969.  I'm gathering that it is 1969 from the jackets the Britannia Restaurant waiters are wearing.  Then at 4:13, the camera shows the forward bulkhead of the old Sports Deck. 

In many photo's I've seen to date this area is too dark to see as the lighting under the deck is overcome by the natual sunlight of the open Sports Deck.  I had forgotten about the deck chairs that were up there and the doors leading inside on the port and starboard ends of the wall.  Now to remember where those doors led to.

Offline Cruisemarsh

« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:26 PM »
Standing below the bridge and looking out over QE2's long graceful bow into the horizon ahead was my favourite place on the ship. (Although it could be a bit windy at times)

Loved all the open deck areas on QE2 and as a keen swimmer, I used to frequent the One Deck pool and its deck area.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.