Author Topic: Jim Miller, QE2 First Larder Cook T.O.W. 1980-1986  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Jim Miller

Jim Miller, QE2 First Larder Cook T.O.W. 1980-1986
« on: Aug 23, 2011, 04:06 PM »
My name is Jim Miller and I worked on the QE2 from 1980-86 and my last job was as a first larder cook in the tables of the world.
I was good friends with Charlie Dunn the kitchen administrator, Richard Carter from the queens grill, Geoffry Owen from the columbia kitchen and Steve Wollen who was a "fecky".
It would be nice to hear from anyone who remembers us.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 08:42 PM by Alan Snelson »

Online cunardqueen

Re: Do you remember??
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Why not post a few photos showing you back then onboard QE2, it might perhaps jog a few memories?
Given the wide range of passengers and crew who are on here, its very possible that you will be remembered.
What by the way is a "fecky" & First larder cook, what exactly did you cook?
Anyway l hope you enjoy the forum, have a look round, and hopefully someone out there will remember you
Cheers
Myles
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2011, 06:55 AM »
Hello Jim and welcome yes you have found the right place to look for those old crewmembers, please add any photos you might have it could make thing easier in remembering you.

Louis

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2011, 12:48 AM »
You talk about "feckies" In then olden days ie when I was on there was this one "feckie" that was an artiste. Cannot remember his name. But for $10 he would make you a bouquet of a dozen red roses all made out of sugar! Leaves included.
In his tool kit he had leaf molds for over a 100 different plants! The bakers would make bread like alligators for the midnight buffets.
Hate to harp on, but in the olden days, it was all done on the ship. Now it is bought frozen...all those specialities have been lost.
I remember when I was kitchen engineer,,,, The Columbia pantryman...sandwichmaker, had a book he bought all about making flowers out of vegetables, Watched him practise. Incredible!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2011, 02:27 PM »
  Hate to harp on, but in the olden days, it was all done on the ship. Now it is bought frozen...all those specialities have been lost.

Rod There is no need worry about harping on about the olden days of QE2, a lot of us remember the good old days and for us it wont be the same. A lot of the passengers of recent years can only base their views of the present way of working because thats all they know. And while us old fogies are able to compare the old ways in the old days its in no way ment to criticise the new ways of the modern age.
Comparing the old ways with the new ways, some l believe call it progress  ???  the bean counters at Carnival call it enhancing the onboard experience saving money and the old  fogies call it a drop in standards... call it what you will, things aint what they used to be :'(
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2011, 09:14 PM »
I just see me going into a boring old fart!. I loved that ship. I appreciated things like a cook cracking 1400 eggs into a huge cooking pot for breakfast. How they come in 5 gallon pails!. My post about the "fecky" making sugar roses.....thats what Cunard was good at...CLASS!

columoh

Re: Jim Miller, QE2 First Larder Cook T.O.W. 1980-1986
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2014, 03:46 AM »
Hello Jim,
I was a good friend of Steve Wollen's. He was a Master Confectioner (or feckie on-board !) and a very talented one at that. Sadly he died in January 1996 in Sawbridgeworth, Herts. After leaving Cunard he got his teaching credentials and became a fantastic teacher of all things "feckie".
Best Wishes,
Colum

Offline Jim Miller

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2015, 12:48 PM »
Hi Colum
I very rarely check for any messages on here but I am really glad I did re :especially with such a nice picture of Steve Wollen.
Sadly I attended Steve's memorial when he died. His mother had died a few months before him but his remaining family, father and two brothers would not allow any of his friends and work colleagues to attend his funeral as they were too embarrassed as to the cause of Steve's death. I attended with his partner and another friend. We were all so distraught at his family's actions. It was awful. However I do have many lovely memories of Steve. I was actually living and working in Southern Bavaria at the time. I am still in contact with Geoffrey Owen if you know/remember him from the Columbia kitchen.
My best wishes Jim.
scotchmist1958@gmail.com
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2016, 11:52 AM by Jim Miller »

Offline Kevin Jackson

« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Hi Jim Miller
Its Kevin Jackson.  I worked with Richard Carter the First Larder Cook in the Queens Grill Kitchen from July 26th 1986 to October 26th 1986.
I can remember you working in the TOW kitchen John Sutherland was the head Chef at the time and I think you worked with Bernard Gibbs for a while.
I was a Student Cook in the TOW kitchen on U deck forward then moved to B deck midships with Richard Carter in the Queens Grill  kitchen.

I have recently signed up to the QE2 story and have uploaded 2 pictures of me the first day I started.

July 26 1984 Boarding QE2 for first time
Kevin Jackson student cook

Working on the QE2 was the best years of my life and I have never forgoten all the staff I worked with sadly though some have passed away.

It concerns me about the QE2 in Dubai, I hope very much the ship is ok and it becomes a success out there and never scrapped. The QE2 deserves the very best in its retirement.

Regards to you Jim

Kevin.
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2017, 05:27 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Hello Kevin,

Thank you for uploading those photos -- you look so young, it must have been an amazing experience to start working on one of the greatest ships around at the time!

Looking forward to hearing more of your memories from those times on board. Enjoy the Forum and the memories!

Offline Vincent Scriven

• The Good Times
  • QE2 Crew member
  • Lido Diner
  • My Dear Brother Tony Spec Cook
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:09 PM »
I was in the QG at this time Chef Alex Frobershire spelling and Richard on the Larder with a young lad also with him and along the line Terry I did post some pics I was told there in 80s crew section? it was New Year QG Party
An engineer would also have a Chat with Chef Alex every evening but who was he? in store room QG

David B, QE2 Cook, 1985

Started by David BBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 2
Views: 1977
Last post Dec 13, 2009, 12:36 PM
by Andy F
Work as a cook on Bord QM2

Started by hauke-sBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 2
Views: 1044
Last post Jul 13, 2014, 11:52 AM
by hauke-s