Author Topic: "Meet the Captain" photo gallery  (Read 31923 times)

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
Re: New "Meet the Captain" photo gallery
« Reply #30 on: Apr 23, 2013, 08:24 PM »
As photographers we had regular contact with the Captain, naturally at Captains cocktail parties, but there were also other times when we were called upon to document events on board. As a result of a good deal of effort from our Chief photographer, Tony Secker, in developing and building relationships with the ships officers, we were fortunate to enjoy very good working and social relationships with the various Captains and other senior officers.

During my time on board (79-82) the Captains were, Lawrence Portet, Doug Ridley, Bob Arnott, Robin Woodall and Peter Jackson, I also served with Robin Wadsworth on the Countess before he came across to QE2. Staff Captains were Harvey Smith, John Burton-Hall and Alan Bennell.

It is quite interesting to see people who were First Officers when I was there who then went on to become QE2 Captains; the ones I got to know were Ron Warwick, Roland Hazell and Nick Bates.

Kathy M’s photo in the previous post is of David Carr, who was also a First Officer when I started on QE2. I believe he became a Staff Captain but I can’t find him listed anywhere as having become Master of QE2.

In the early 80’s there must have been a surplus of four stripe deck officers, so Cunard created the position of Executive Captain. I think the first to hold this office was Capt Harvey Smith, and if I remember correctly he and Capt Doug Ridley alternated. I believe the idea was to take most of the administrative burden away from the Master and provide a better interface between the ship and hotel side allowing the ship’s Captain to focus his full attention on the ship. Do current Cunard ships still have the position of Executive Captain?

One major privilege I enjoyed as a result of the good relations we had happened every sailaway night from Southampton or New York and at regular intervals on World Cruises. On these nights I had the job of arranging with the Executive Chef (who at the time was John Bainbridge) to collect a salver full of steak sandwiches from the Princess Grill galley. Then once we were in open water the Captain, Cruise Director, Cruise Directors Secretary, Chief photographer and I would all meet up in the Cruise Directors cabin to have a few drinks and get stuck in to the sandwiches which were always excellent. I just can’t for the life of me remember the Cruise Directors name but his secretary’s name was Maureen and she was lovely. This was a tradition I was happy to continue when I took over as Chief photographer in 1981 and have great memories of these informal gatherings especially with Capt Arnott and Capt Ridley.

Another memory I have of Capt Ridley is from 1981. We had put in to Allesund in Norway, it wasn’t a scheduled stop but I can’t remember what happened to make us have to stop there. I had the day to myself so decided I would have an early lunch and then go sightseeing. I was in T.O.W. as soon as it opened, had lunch then went ashore. After about half an hour I bumped into Capt Ridley who was out of uniform and taking in the sights, he said “I’m just off for lunch, join me, I hate eating alone”. Well I didn’t dare refuse, so off we went to a nearby hotel where he ordered a whole Sea bass with all the trimmings for us to share. I was fit to burst but couldn’t bring myself to tell him I had already eaten.

It’s really only now, looking back over thirty years ago that I realize just what a fortunate existence I had and how lucky to do all that and get paid for it too.

I have attached a couple of photos. The Photographers team on the 1980 world cruise with Capt Ridley, Capt Arnott with me and now ex-wife Karen; and Capt Harvey Smith and me.
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #31 on: Apr 23, 2013, 09:32 PM »
Another great story and thanks for sharing !
Given that you were working with rolls of film, what was life like behind the scenes after a Captains Reception, how long were you working developing and printing the pics.

I used to be amused when buying photos that some of the people who had forked out for a QE2 cruise and yet would choke on paying for a proper portrait professionally taken photo..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #32 on: Apr 23, 2013, 10:50 PM »
To reply to Alan, on his Executive Captain comment.
You are right, the EC was to leave the Captain/Master of the ship to do the nautical things, while the EC would do things like union negotiations, budget etc.
EC became General Manager...various senior Officers held the position. Maurice Tate, C/E, terry Conroy, Cruise Director, and of course Doug Ridley. Whether or not the position still exists??? I do not know.

Offline backinthehatch

« Reply #33 on: Apr 24, 2013, 04:32 PM »
The Cruise Director in the Eighties that Alan can't remember the name of, was probably Brian Price or it could have been Bob Haines, who used to be his deputy when Brian went on leave.

One major privilege I enjoyed as a result of the good relations we had happened every sailaway night from Southampton or New York and at regular intervals on World Cruises. On these nights I had the job of arranging with the Executive Chef (who at the time was John Bainbridge) to collect a salver full of steak sandwiches from the Princess Grill galley. Then once we were in open water the Captain, Cruise Director, Cruise Directors Secretary, Chief photographer and I would all meet up in the Cruise Directors cabin to have a few drinks and get stuck in to the sandwiches which were always excellent. I just can’t for the life of me remember the Cruise Directors name but his secretary’s name was Maureen and she was lovely. This was a tradition I was happy to continue when I took over as Chief photographer in 1981 and have great memories of these informal gatherings especially with Capt Arnott and Capt Ridley.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2013, 04:39 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Alan Snelson

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Ships Photographer '78 - '82
« Reply #34 on: Apr 24, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Thanks for that, yes it was Brian Price that I was trying to remember. I also remember Bob Haines, though I never worked much with him.

Another great story and thanks for sharing !
Given that you were working with rolls of film, what was life like behind the scenes after a Captains Reception, how long were you working developing and printing the pics.

I used to be amused when buying photos that some of the people who had forked out for a QE2 cruise and yet would choke on paying for a proper portrait professionally taken photo..

We would probably shoot 15 rolls at a Captains Reception, then one of the four of us would go to the darkroom to develop the film whilst the other three would go off to photograph one of the restaurants. By the time that was done there was usually enough time to all meet up for a quick meal  before going back to the darkroom. The Chief would then start printing whilst  the second batch of films from the restaurant was being developed. Two of the four would then go off duty, they would be the two to get the shop up and running next morning. The other two would finish the processing, printing, numbering etc. our finish time would depend on the passenger count but was usually between midnight and one, then go and find an open bar to unwind in, then add or take one hour and you can see we had some quite long days. It might seem surprising, but the ship was always alive much later on the nights we lost an hour than on the nights we gained one.

The cost of photos when I was on board was $3.75 and I don't remember it changing in the four years I was there. The main complaint we used to get was that we took too many photos of people, I don't remember hearing anyone moaning about the price. What do they cost now in the digital age?
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2013, 09:05 PM by Alan Snelson »
Don't just be part of her past, be part of her history!

Offline Grill Britannia

« Reply #35 on: Apr 28, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Yes I agree. Did seem a bit daft. Me on the other hand had to have just about every photo taken (except the really bad ones-double chins, squinting into the sun etc.) plus the official photo album, frame, DVD etc.
Unlike Rob's memories of (a different Captain) I have lovely memories of Captain Ian McNaught on Mediterranean Splendour 2nd-17th July 2008 who was charm personified. Hubby was always a bit fed up with my somewhat Hyacinth Bouquet type antics as there was no Captain's table situation in the Britannia Grill. However when we were moored at Valletta we strolled along to a little restaurant where we had eaten several years previously only to find that it was very busy and as we hadn't booked in advance we would have to wait a little. At a table facing us was Captain McNaught and his family and he recognised us as QE2 passengers. As he was leaving he said we could have his table but to make sure we were back in time for the Sailaway. That was as close as I got to the Captain's table. Hey ho! He also took a lot of time on that voyage arranging extra Captain signings etc.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2013, 07:22 PM by Grill Britannia »
QE2 Forever @RavelCat

michaelang40

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2013, 07:09 PM »
There is one picture I am really missing.  Where is the picture of Mrs. Bouquet (Bucket) from keeping up appearances.  Did she not meet the captain?

Offline down under Charles

« Reply #37 on: Jun 21, 2014, 08:50 AM »
My captain was Mortimer Heir also known as captain Boom i was crew on QE2 when she hit the pier in Cherbourg as she was blown of the pier due to a very heavy storm and sustained a large gash in her hull unfortunately i have no photo of that accident.
We stayed in Cherbourgh for i think 5 days and with temporarily repairs made our way across to N.Y.C. I did the maiden around the world voyage on QE2 which was such en enormous event.

In my opinion the ship should be brought back to go to London as suggested or Liverpool the birthplace of Cunard Line i myself am a Dutchman but now live in Australia for nearly 40 years and look what has happened to my beloved Rotterdam of 1959 she is a stately museum hotel and functioncentre right in the middle of the City of Rotterdam and i was on her last year what a great job done and how proud i felt to be walking around her and on her decks so much wonderful memories and thank the lord she didnt go to Alang to be cut up,i do hope that someone or some company or council will show an interest in QE2 and bring her back where she belongs

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #38 on: Jun 22, 2014, 07:40 PM »
and for the heck of it. if only to remind us of the good old days when the Cunard Captains were Cunard Captains.. ;)

My very first, Staff Captain Roland Hassle June 1986, Portet was on the bridge owing to bad weather
Captain Portet in 87 on the outward Maiden Voyage
Commodore Ridley on the homeward run, if you believed the press,He had commandeered Portets Cabin..   
Captain Alan Bennel 1988
Captain  Alan Bennel 1989
One of the Luke twins , Pauline Sleigh Captains Secretary,Himself,Ian Galloway Furnishing Mgr, Staff Captain Ron Bolton and the other luke Twin Jamie or David never could match their faces.
Captain Robin Woodall 1989
Staff Captain Ron Bolton 1991 
and for a change, Alan Bennel taking a photo..

memories :'(

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #39 on: Jun 22, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Who was YOUR favourite Captain and WHY ? and why not add a photo...
Whats your meet the Captain story ?

Offline down under Charles

« Reply #40 on: Jun 23, 2014, 06:26 AM »
I have just realized that i have told my story about my time on QE2 several times as i only write probably 2x per year its not that i have nothing else to tell about my fabulous experience  on this ship but some of the stuff could most likely not be printed or be on public view for everyone to see,but i can almost write encyclopedias about QE2 and all of the other ships i have worked on and its something i will never forget,they were the best years of my young adult life,and i recommend to anyone who is interested in exploring the world and getting paid for it"try to get a job on a cruiseship"you wont regret it
Charles Traa
Anna Bay
Australia

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #41 on: Nov 12, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Any more Meet the Captain photos out there,
Or did anyone NOT want their photo taken ?

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #42 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:34 AM »
I have a few photos which I will try and find.  Her is one taken at the Captain Cocktail Party on Transatlantic Crossing to New York June 1997

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

Re: "Meet the Captain" photo gallery
« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2016, 06:24 PM »
With an influx of new members, any more Meet the Captain photos..

Offline Michelle Pellay-Walker

Re: "Meet the Captain" photo gallery
« Reply #44 on: Jul 03, 2018, 03:37 PM »
Here are my two:

1.  28 August 2003:  Westbound Transatlantic Crossing (Captain Ian McNaught).  I was travelling solo, and expected this to be my one and only ocean liner voyage.

2.  26 June 2008:  Norwegian Wonders (Captain Ian McNaught).  So,...I treated myself to an extra-special 50th birthday present, accompanied by my then-boyfriend.  It was our first cruise, and I'm delighted to say that he's been my husband for the last seven years!!  :-) 
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2018, 03:42 PM by Michelle »