Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Guest Speakers...Past?  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Twynkle

Guest Speakers...Past?
« on: Mar 29, 2009, 09:33 AM »

Guest speakers for mutual enrichment - A good idea?

Who was 'one of the best'?  it'll be interesting to know what you think!

(Did anyone else feel sleepy sometimes too?!)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

The Lowlander

Re: Guest Speakers...Past?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2009, 01:42 PM »
I have a habit of watching replays on the TV in that lull between daytime activities and getting ready for the evening. Generally however it's one of those things, most I have seen "live" have completely escaped my mind. I wonder what that says about them...  :P

I must say though watching Carol Thatcher live during the 40th Anniversary Cruise was enjoyable as her larger than life personality lends itself to public speaking. I can even remember the topic which was "The Two Iron Ladies In My Life". An hour or so well spent.

The more interesting ones for me are about history and particularly anything Cunard I find generally worth seeing. Commodore Warwick gives a lecture about Queen Elizabeth 2 during the Falklands War which is interesting as he has quite a few photographs to illustrate his talk.

And for the future, look out for Robert Neal-Marshall who lectures on his personal experiences during the "3 Queens" events. It's an illustrated talk and features some excellent Queen Elizabeth 2 footage, quite moving for all fans of the ship. I know he is on one of the Transatlantics in April, well worth seeing if you are onboard.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Terry Waite, a Cunard regular speaker, always gives a riveting talk of his experiences as a hostage in Iran.

I agree, Carol Thatcher's dramatic style gives a flair to some topics which I would otherwise have little interest in.

I remember well Commodore Warwick's mid-40th Anniversary cruise SRO lecture on the subject of QE2 in the Falklands...  The cruise director said that he had never seen such a large number of people in the jam-packed theater for any occassion.  There wasn't even much room for standing.

The first day of that cruise, the facinating and artistic QE2 documentary "Magic Ride" showed in the theater.  It was great to see it on a big screen.  The actress who stars in it gave an interesting behind-the-scenes talk on the making of Magic Ride... especially interesting since the film follows QE2 from construction to launch to maiden voyage arrival in NYC, so she was "employed" on it for a couple of years, and she had to "grow up" from school girl to young lady.  A rich bit of trivia was that the then-unknown David Bowie was rejected as her co-star... and she very surprisingly told us that this was the first time she had ever seen it, and her first time on QE2 since the maiden voyage.
Not very bright of the films producers to fail to put this on DVD.

Right now I don't have access to my daily programs, so I can't remember her name or the name of the adventurer/explorer who gave a facinating lecture/slidshow on his, well, adventures.  Very entertaining.  This happened to be the same crossing which the feature film was "March of the Penquins", the only time I've seen the theater full for a film.

Of course Cunard regulars John Maxtone-Graham and William H. Miller are always entertaining, no matter how many times one attends their frequent on-board lectures.

On the opposite end of the scale, another Cunard regular lecturer, a "Royal Biographer", tends to be too gossipy and sometimes bitchy for my tastes... but he does give a good talk on the Royal Yacht Britannia and has a very good book out on the subject.
But, that's just me, as the subject of British royalty is very popular, especially amongst American Cunarders, and his presentations always well-attended.

The Lowlander

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2009, 07:47 PM »
The "Magic Ride" lady was Anna Bentinck thanks for jogging my memory, that is one I had forgotten but in this case should have remembered.

The Royal biographer could be Brian Hoey? Bangs on about Diana far too much for my liking, but popular with the punters nevertheless.

Thinking about it, there was a succession of Concorde pilots and engineers that more than quenched the thirst for Concorde knowledge if that was required. Also, once saw a lecturer from NASA talking about the moon landings which was very interesting to me as I used to watch those on TV as a young lad.

Never saw Terry Waite though, pity as I'm sure he would have been interesting.

Offline Andy F

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2009, 11:56 PM »
Chris Frame and the delightful Rachelle get my vote!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline caledonia

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2009, 12:38 PM »
The ones that i remember are ( sorry cant remember the indivdual names) 2 gentlemen who gave wonderful talks about the NASA space programme and the stars and planets. I also enjoyed a flight enginner off Concorde who had some wonderful footage of the last flight in Bristol, but the "oscar"
must go to Steven Payne on the last Transatlantic crossing for his talk on the QE2 - he admitted at the end that the emotion did not quite get to him - but i will admit i had tears in my eyes. I was fortunate to talk to him later that evening when i thanked him and explained the emotion - by then it was getting to most people as we were nearing the end of our last journeys on board.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2009, 06:46 AM »
Chris Frame and the delightful Rachelle get my vote!

Thank you Andy! It is extremely nice to hear such positive feedback - I only wish you were aboard QM2 to hear my full range of Cunard / White Star lectures - maybe one day aboard Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth!

Send our best wishes to Ann-Marie :)
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2009, 11:07 PM »
Thank you Andy! It is extremely nice to hear such positive feedback - I only wish you were aboard QM2 to hear my full range of Cunard / White Star lectures - maybe one day aboard Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth!

...and deservedly so but we wish we'd been aboard QM2 also lol.  Rest assured tho my friend that if we can, we most certainly shall! 

Rgds to you both and catch you soon
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:20 AM »
Cunard have just announced who will be amongst the Speakers for next year's 'Enrichment Programme'.

Wouldn't it be a Very Good Idea for a Speaker to be invited to delight the audience with The Story of QE2?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2009, 01:20 PM »
I'll be telling passengers The QE2's Story aboard Queen Victoria and hopefully Queen Mary 2 in 2010.
My QE2 website can be found at: https://www.chriscunard.com/qe2/

Our QE2 books celebrates the ships 50th Anniversary:  http://www.qe2book.com/

Watch my QE2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/chriscunard

Offline Lynda Bradford

« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2012, 11:15 AM »
We have received an enquiry in the Admin email enquiring about a guest speaker.  Do any members remember who this guest speaker was:

QE2 Speaker Iceland and Norway Cruise 2006 (I think)
I went on this cruise in 2005, 2006 or 2007 and there was an oldish speaker who had worked with all or very nearly all the Apollo astronauts.

I thought his name was Richard Underhill but my enquiries reveal a Jazz Musician of that name. Can anyone tell me who he was please?

Shaw Taylor was a guest speaker on the same cruise
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 09:39 AM by Lynda »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2012, 11:15 AM »
We have received an enquiry in the Admin email enquiring about a guest speaker.  Do any members remember who this guest speaker was:

I went on this cruise in 2005, 2006 or 2007 and there was an oldish speaker who had worked with all or very nearly all the Apollo astronauts.

I thought his name was Richard Underhill but my enquiries reveal a Jazz Musician of that name. Can anyone tell me who he was please?

Long shot, but that name looks remarkably similar to the former BBC Space Correspondent Reg Turnill who interviewed most of the astronauts and covered most of the missions.  Could it have been him?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"