Author Topic: What I remember.  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Rod

What I remember.
« on: Aug 13, 2011, 12:00 PM »
This may sound stupid to some. But what I remember about the "Old Queens" was the stupid machines in the gyms where you put a wide canvas belt around your waist, turned it on and wobbled the fat off.
That and one of the waiters going round the accomodation with his xylaphone to announce meals!

Offline riskygizmo

Re: What I remember.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2011, 12:53 PM »
Rod, they had those "bum wobblers" on the QE2 too.
Full Away on Passage.

Offline Rod

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2011, 05:34 PM »
I never saw them!

Offline Andy F

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2011, 12:50 PM »
I never saw them!
Me neither I am relieved to say  :)
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline riskygizmo

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2011, 07:13 PM »
Chaps,

They were there in the late 70's and early 80's, and my bum was wobbled thereon. As a weedy 12 year old they were the only bits of kit I could use. I would refer you to the link below which shows 3 of the beasts. As I remember, the gym was supervised by Eric Mason in those days.

http://rmsqueenelizabeth2.com/fares80.html

Full Away on Passage.

Pat Curry

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2011, 07:16 PM »
I've not seen "wobblers"  neither. 

But the operative phrase here is that the waiter was collecting diners with a xylophone.   :o  Never seen that either. 

So we can conclude that the "wobblers" were meant to take weight off, whilst the waiter was intent on putting it back on again. 

Sounds like an oxymoron to me ;D

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2011, 10:13 PM »
I crossed on QE and have stayed on QM in her hotel guise, and one thing that sticks in my mind are those bathtubs which are totally curved on the bottom, so there's hardly any stable place to stand when taking a shower.  I never could figure out why they were designed that way.  Terrible design.

Offline Rod

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2011, 02:48 AM »
I've not seen "wobblers"  neither. 

But the operative phrase here is that the waiter was collecting diners with a xylophone.   :o  Never seen that either. 

So we can conclude that the "wobblers" were meant to take weight off, whilst the waiter was intent on putting it back on again. 

Sounds like an oxymoron to me ;D

Told you I was one year older than our Lord's donkey.

On the old Queens there was a daily quiz put under the cabin door as well. answer it, turn it into the Pursars office and win a prize. My Father one  4 reak chrystal brandy glasses once.