Author Topic: "you had the feeling of making history sail" says commodore Rynd  (Read 4560 times)

Offline matdark

Hi all,
We've had the huge pleasure of being invited to Commodore Rynd's table during our cruise to Norway (we're the young ones on the picture below ;). Being seated next to him I've had the opportunity to talk with him for almost 2 hours. About the QE2, he told me that when he was in command, he really felt like he made history sail. He also said that she had major problems of all sorts, without going into details. She couldn't have sailed much longer according to him. I told him about the website, he noted the URL on his Iphone and was especially interested in Rob's visit to Dubai.

Christopher Rynd is a very, very nice and charming man. As for the QM2, she really is a grand, amazing ship. Very much Normandie-like in many aspects, especially the murals around the grand lobby, and the Chart Room. She handles the seas extremely well, she definitely is a liner, no doubt about that!

« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2011, 10:11 AM by matdark »

Offline matdark

He also said that he hasn't sailed 30 knots in four years, and very much doubts he will again anytime soon. Huge increase in fuel prices is one of the reasons (not the only one though) why the crossings are made in 7 days now.

Offline No 736

Hello matdark, please tell us more about some of the major problems, that Commodore Rynd talked about.
Steve s.

bobso

Hi Matdark. I would also love to hear what the "major problems" were--any chance of posting them?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
The aluminum, the bottom tanks, the plumbing, the air conditioning, the bow thrusters......
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Great photos and write-up, thanks so much!  Only just saw the badge photo!   ;D

There is no doubt that QE2 was history afloat towards the end - portholes, teak, sleek curves .... she is still history afloat, of course, and she utterly deserves to be preserved.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

The aluminum, the bottom tanks, the plumbing, the air conditioning, the bow thrusters......
In short extreme old age (for an ocean liner).

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
In short extreme old age (for an ocean liner).

Extreme old age for the hardest worked ocean liner of all time...

Offline cunardqueen

We've had the huge pleasure of being invited to Commodore Rynd's table during our cruise to Norway (we're the young ones on the picture below 
Welcome to the Captains Table club... ;)

There is no doubt that QE2 was history afloat towards the end - portholes, teak, sleek curves .... she is still history afloat, of course, and she utterly deserves to be preserved.
And for all of us here, shes still the best  ;D.. the rest..well..... :-X
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2022, 06:10 PM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Chris

Thanks for sharing that story.

Commodore Rynd told us similar things about his fondness of QE2 when we were aboard Queen Victoria with him in 2010.

In fact, I've sailed with him as Captain aboard QE2, QM2, Queen Victoria and the latest QE. I absolutely agree he is an excellent Captain and a very good host.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2014, 03:29 PM by Chris »
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Chris

Extreme old age for the hardest worked ocean liner of all time...

What a legendary ship!!
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
She is the one and only QE2.  There has never been one like her nor will there ever be another like her in the future.  There have been and will be great ships, but she will forever be our beloved Queen of the Seas !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline cunardqueen

There have been and will be great ships, but she will forever be our beloved Queen of the Seas ! 

Well said June... :)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online Andy Holloway

I won't hold my breath for the announcement of the next Cunard Commodore, instead of being a genuine CUNARD officer i fully expect another 'plastic' Cunard Captain to take over the appointment.

Come on Cunard/Carnival set a precedent and promote Inger Klein Olsen to be the first ever female Commodore - more chance of me going back to sea!