Author Topic: New Member Introduction  (Read 4227 times)

Solentcruiseship

New Member Introduction
« on: Aug 04, 2011, 01:09 PM »
Hi All,

Its been a long time coming but finally I'm an active member on here. Living on the Isle of Wight I have a life long fascinaton with all things maritime and especailly passenger ships.

I always adored the QE2 and achieved my wish of stepping aboard this grand lady during her final season. Alas my ambition of sailing on her to New York had already evaporated so now I have my sights on the rest of the fleet! My request to sail on QM2 for my 40th this week was laughed off......but I live in hope!

Excellent website & very pleased to be a member.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: New Member Introduction
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Welcome Andrew.

Hope you enjoy being a member of the Forum and looking forward to hearing more from you.

QM2 for your 40th sounds like a good idea to me!  :)
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2011, 01:20 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Welcome "aboard".  Looking forward to hearing more about your time stepping aboard QE2 after so many years of wishing for it.  Enjoy the forum.

-Scott

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Hello there, well - living on the Isle of Wight you might like to look through the photograph threads on here; I posted a few series of pictures taken from Fort Victoria.  I'll try to find the links for you and add them to this post later.  Found them! :)

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2619.0.html

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,2510.0.html

And for something a bit different….

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,1836.0.html

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2011, 04:26 PM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

bobso

« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Good Afternoon Andrew, You have joined the very best QE2 site there is. Welcome-- and hope you enjoy your time here with us. There are lots of really nice people who are members of the Forum with all sorts of different stories to read and photo's to look through. All sorts of topics are posted here so i am sure you will find a lot to interest you.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Hello Andrew a very warm welcome to you, hope you have a great time here.

Pat Curry

« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2011, 02:09 PM »

My request to sail on QM2 for my 40th this week was laughed off...!

Laughed off ???  Who by?  ...  pray tell.   8)
Meanwhile enjoy this site.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2011, 02:12 PM by Queet-two »

Offline Andy F

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Hi Andrew and welcome

Regards and trust both you and Donna are keeping well

Andy
« Last Edit: Aug 06, 2011, 01:22 AM by Andy F »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Rod

« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2011, 12:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum. IOW is beautiful!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2011, 12:03 AM »
Hi and Welcome Andrew
 You must have had some great views of the ships as they sailed past the IOW  in all weathers.
The Isle of Wight is such a beautiful place.
Enjoy this site, its pretty amazing !
Myles
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Barrie Evans

« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2011, 12:06 PM »
Hi Andrew, I was just browsing ,and have just read your post. I enterd my first post a couple of days ago. I dont know if you have read it? It is under "3rd time lucky" We as a family visited the I O W for 37 years on the trot. We always stayed at Longbeach , Colwell Bay. I used to be a country member at Freshwater Bay Golf Club. How long have you lived at Freshwater?
I hpoe that you get your wish to go on the Queen Mary for your 40th. We have sailed on all of 4 Queens. Sounds a bit flash,but it just worked out that way. Like most people we work hard to save for our cruises,so we go on them when ever we can. I think the forum is great, and every body is so friendly. As a new member i would like to welcome you,and i hope that you enjoy meeting other Q E 2 enthusiasts

Kind regards
Barrie Evans

Solentcruiseship

« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Good morning All,

Thank you very much for your messages - I have not had chance to log on for a while now - too much to do and too little time and all that!!

I was born on the IoW and have grown up in Freshwater so have not lived anywhere else. My very first crossing of the Solent was when just days old.....in an Ambulance! Premature berth & complications = trip to Southampton General Hospital. Everyone swears I only did that for a ferry trip as I quickly recovered.....and here I am!!

Fort Victoria is a great place to watch vessels pass but sadly nothing big anymore since the days of the QE2 etc are long gone. The shingle banks have shifted considerably so we only get the likes of Adonia, Saga Pearl II, Hebridean Princess (due today) etc now.

Hello to Myles & Andrew - been meaning to e-mail you Andrew! Donna & I are fine ta :-)

The QM2 40th birthday hope became P&O's OCEANA (last weekend) so I cannot complain.....there's always my 41st!!!

If anyone has any Southampton Liner/Cruise Liner images that may be of use to my book project then do please get in touch via solentcruiseship@aol.co.uk (otherwise I may not see replies for a while!)

The weather this year has affected Cunard ship photography here for me....but there's still time!!

Well, I must go and do some work!

Very best wishes,

Andrew (& Donna)

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2011, 12:01 AM »
Fort Victoria is a great place to watch vessels pass but sadly nothing big anymore since the days of the QE2 etc are long gone. The shingle banks have shifted considerably so we only get the likes of Adonia, Saga Pearl II, Hebridean Princess (due today) etc now.

According to the port at Southampton the lack of large vessels via the Needles Passage is because thre are no longer pilots based in the Western Solent to handle them.

Large vessels can still go that way - a bloke I know who lives in the Bournemouth area told me last year that to his great surprise he had recently seen the Queen Mary 2 using that route - I would have liked to have been at the Fort that day... :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Barrie Evans

« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2011, 08:11 PM »
According to the port at Southampton the lack of large vessels via the Needles Passage is because thre are no longer pilots based in the Western Solent to handle them.

Large vessels can still go that way - a bloke I know who lives in the Bournemouth area told me last year that to his great surprise he had recently seen the Queen Mary 2 using that route - I would have liked to have been at the Fort that day... :)
Hi Peter,That was interesting your friend saw the Queen Mary sailing past Hurst Castle / Fort Victoria. Can you ask him what time of the year it was , and was she sailing in or out of Southamton?
Barrie (in Hawaii) Evans
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2011, 08:21 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2011, 12:38 AM »
I think it was a sailing out given the time of day she ususalyy sails in!  I'll see if I can find out, but he isn't into ships and had no particular reason to note it down or remember it; I think he said "last summer" and this conversation was back in October last year, so depending on whether he ises "last summer" to correctly mean the previous year instead of the increasingly common use to refer to the summer just finished, I'd say it would have been 2009.

( Maybe Flagship would know the exact sailing, though...? )

Online Barrie Evans

« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2011, 03:48 AM »
I think it was a sailing out given the time of day she ususalyy sails in!  I'll see if I can find out, but he isn't into ships and had no particular reason to note it down or remember it; I think he said "last summer" and this conversation was back in October last year, so depending on whether he ises "last summer" to correctly mean the previous year instead of the increasingly common use to refer to the summer just finished, I'd say it would have been 2009.

( Maybe Flagship would know the exact sailing, though...?

Thanks Peter, I meant to say that i wonder if Flagship may have a log of the Q M 2 passing through that way? Icant imagine that she passed through that way on may times would you.

Barrie
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011, 07:08 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online Barrie Evans

« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2011, 04:28 AM »
Good morning All,

Thank you very much for your messages - I have not had chance to log on for a while now - too much to do and too little time and all that!!

I was born on the IoW and have grown up in Freshwater so have not lived anywhere else. My very first crossing of the Solent was when just days old.....in an Ambulance! Premature berth & complications = trip to Southampton General Hospital. Everyone swears I only did that for a ferry trip as I quickly recovered.....and here I am!!

Hello to Myles & Andrew - been meaning to e-mail you Andrew! Donna & I are fine ta :-)

The QM2 40th birthday hope became P&O's OCEANA (last weekend) so I cannot complain.....there's always my 41st!!!

If anyone has any Southampton Liner/Cruise Liner images that may be of use to my book project then do please get in touch via solentcruiseship@aol.co.uk (otherwise I may not see replies for a while!)

The weather this year has affected Cunard ship photography here for me....but there's still time!!

Well, I must go and do some work!

Very best wishes,

Andrew (& Donna)

Hi Andrew, Its nice to see you back on line again. When we used to stay at Colway bay for our holidays,at longbeach, i got to know one of the locals. His name was David Chiverton. He was a ship lover,and he used to sit for hours on the wall ]just wating for the ships come through. He always had his book on ocean liiners.I spent many happy hours sitting and chatting with him,and that was when i became a ship lover myself.He always told me when the Q E 2 was due to come through. I wonder if you have heard of him? or perhaps your parents knew him. He had a bad leg and always had to use a walking stick. We used to make him tea and sandwiches, and then at the end of the day, i used to give him a lift home. He also live down in Freshwater.

Kind regards
Barrie & Jean Evans
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2011, 07:08 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Solentcruiseship

« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2011, 08:56 PM »

Hi Peter,

Well, local knowledge scores everytime!

Yes the Pilot Station at Yarmouth closed in my childhood but, as I've already said, the shifting shingle banks prevent large ships from passing through the western Solent....regardless of what the Port of Southampton website says. When required, Pilots are still sent out by launch as happened when the Adonia arrived in May.

The largest through since the QE2's last visit are the likes of HMS Illustrious and HMS Bulwark with the largest daily visitor, the Stena Normandy, ceasing in 1996.

As for the report of the QM2 sailing through the western Solent - sorry to disappoint but this never has and never will happen!
Cruise ships that pass through are the likes of Balmoral, Fram, Saga Pearl II, Adonia, Hebridean Princess etc.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #18 on: Sep 13, 2011, 12:11 AM »
Err... it wasn't off the website; it was told to me directly in an e-mail from one of their senior pilotage bods; I forget the name now...

Solentcruiseship

« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Err... it wasn't off the website; it was told to me directly in an e-mail from one of their senior pilotage bods; I forget the name now...

Hi Peter,

Yes the lack of a Yarmouth Pilot Station did restrict what ships passed through the western Solent but the physical restriction is the shifting shingle banks and lack of any attempt to dredge/maintain the channel width & depth.
A Carisbrooke Shipping coaster was caught out  this year by what is now a shingle island in the western Solent. Storms have built it up and now it can be seen during most states of the tide.

Having noted other discussions re: QM2 passing through the western Solent I can confirm that she has not and would be simply too large.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Alfredo Puyo : new member

Started by alfredopBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 5
Views: 1087
Last post Dec 07, 2014, 06:15 AM
by alfredop
Bob van Leeuwen : New member from The Netherlands

Started by Bob van LeeuwenBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 3
Views: 926