Author Topic: Nick Bates  (Read 32175 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Nick Bates
« on: Mar 27, 2009, 12:09 AM »
Today's blog "wearecunard" talks about Captain Nick Bates, who took QM2 to Dubai to visit her lonely sister last Saturday :

http://wearecunard.com/2009/03/2009-world-cruise-dinner-celebration/

Of the several QE2 captains we have been photographed with, Nick Bates was the one we got to know best. He was huge fun, both on Caronia, where we first met him, and on QE2 a year later. You could hear in his voice how fond he was of QE2 -- he was in paradise when he took charge of her.

I find it hard to believe that he was correctly quoted and speaking with his tongue far removed from his cheek, when he apparently said :

Yesterday we left Dubai having berthed just astern of our famous sister QE2, and like so many of us, all those fond memories of my time there came flooding back. Looking at her as she awaits her new life, I also felt the time had come to move on and look forward to the excitement that hails the new Queen Elizabeth in 2010.

Every day at noon, after the usual shipping report, Nick Bates regaled us either with stories from his book "A Pinch of Salt" (we bought many copies on board -- and in September did the cheeky thing, asking Ian McNaught to sign them for us!), or with quotes from the famous Irish writer Patrick O'Shaughnessy. Excellent quotes, which amused us no end but were equally full of fun and wisdom. Such a pity that I cannot remember even one to write down here... :(

Pia and I scoured the internet when we returned home, looking for books written by Patrick O'Shaughnessy, or even for some biographical details. Patrick O'Shaughnessy -- we all knew the name, but could not find any of his writings. It was most frustrating! And remained a mystery, all these years...

And imagine -- the wearecunard blog today finally gives us a hint of detail, bringing us closer to the famous writer and poet... If you wish to continue relishing the mystery, please do not follow the link  :-X.

While searching around the internet a bit more this afternoon to see whether perhaps in the meantime, Patrick O'Shaughnessy has received a decent write-up, I found instead a copy of much of the book "A Pinch of Salt". Have a look and enjoy it!

http://tinyurl.com/dh7e8j

Nick Bates was pretty much whisked off QE2 in 2005 immediately after we arrived back in Southampton, and we felt immensely upset for him, as he had been told during our cruise. He was, I believe, sent to work on another Carnival ship (would love to get some more details of that and see whether the rumours at the time were right). It is so good to see that he is on QM2 now, and I hope he has many years of happy sailing ahead of him...
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2009, 12:17 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Chris

Re: Nick Bates
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2009, 09:43 AM »
Every day at noon, after the usual shipping report, Nick Bates regaled us either with stories from his book "A Pinch of Salt" (we bought many copies on board -- and in September did the cheeky thing, asking Ian McNaught to sign them for us!), or with quotes from the famous Irish writer Patrick O'Shaughnessy. Excellent quotes, which amused us no end but were equally full of fun and wisdom.

Captain Bates took over command of Queen Mary 2 from Commodore Warner in Hong Kong this year, during our voyage. He continued his noon report tradition giving fantastic readings from "A Pinch of Salt" - one I do remember was...

If you're going to criticise someone, first walk a mile in their shoes - that way, when you criticise them you're a mile away - and you have their shoes!

Brilliant :)
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

Offline Andy F

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2009, 11:09 PM »
I must remember that one!  Bernard Warner was in command when I was aboard last year - nice guy!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline NomDePlume

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2009, 05:04 AM »
I've got the book! HAD to have it! Captain Bates was in charge of QM2 in January in the Caribbean, and I found the book on sale in the Library. One of my favorite quotes is "I've been told not to repeat this,so I will only say it once"... And what a charmer he is!

Offline Glengavin

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Pleased to hear that Capt Bates is still keeping his passengers amused and making his lunchtime broadcasts not to be missed events.

Latest one: on QM2 on April 1st this year as the ship arrived at Civitavecchia (Rome) he apparently made an early morning announcement advising that, due to the financial crisis hitting Italy, the local currency had changed as from midnight from Euros to a new currency, the Pizza, with five Pizzas to the Euro.  In no time at all the Purser's Desk had a line-up of passengers wanting to change their money!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2009, 05:31 PM »
He is a great guy not to mention a superb host, I never in my wildest dreams ever expected to receive the invite to his table for the duration of a med cruise, Turns out he knew folks just a coupe of mile away from me. Both he and his partner were a joy to dine with and did genuinely seem to take an interest in their guests.

As we neared Gib the shops/hairdressers ran out of hair spray which was causing the ladies a problem, and inspite of my limp hair l use the stuff to stop giving me the flyaway look, with great effect l hasten to add :-\ and said to the ladies, "Oh you can borrow some of mine" and quick as a flash he responded "Myles YOU use hairspray" with that glint in his eyes, l did offer that he could borrow mine as well but that offer was never taken up. It ended up after we left Gib the ladies found in their cabin a new can of hairspray autgraphed by himself, His partner had been dispatched ashore to pick up the urgent supplies.

It was a lively table, with much fun to be had, And while every cruise on QE2 is special, this one was just a bit more special. Long after the final sun set or the glimpse of the last port of call or the final meal, the experience of dinning on table 341 was something l will never forget   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2009, 09:57 AM »
Sorry to say that the wearecunard site reads to me like a Stagecoach company blurb sheet. The good Captain MIGHT have said the weasel words about QE2, but look who pays him.
Also, he might regret QE2's fate, but is being pragmatic. After all, he now commands QMary die Grosse, that has to be a feather in his cap.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Im afraid l too also fine the wearecunard site just one long company public relations stunt, if somebody dared even go off the official point of view, would they publish it? Im sure all the officers have a private point of view regarding QE2, but would they dare put it into print? Isnt this the same cruise director who told advised passengers what to put on the comment cards?
 Its the same as the World club magazine, its nothing more than a hyped up brochure full of sales pitch and really doesnt contain any news! Heck if anybody remembers the Cunard Ann Bright Club of old she sent a news letter out ever month to the 5000 members and it was full of news etc and if space permitted she might mention an offer on a cruise.   Now that was a club !!!

Offline Andy F

« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2009, 12:02 AM »
Im afraid l too also fine the wearecunard site just one long company public relations stunt...
Would you really expect it to be anything else though Myles tbh?  It's innocuous, hardly likely to contain anything even mildly contentious and as you say, purely a PR exercise but hey, what's wrong with that? 

Loved your recollection about the hairspray though lol.  Great one!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 11:40 AM by Andy F »
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Isnt this the same cruise director who told advised passengers what to put on the comment cards?

It was David Pepper who did tell people what to put and not to mark the entire cruise staff down just because the Cruise Director was a w*****!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Since I have just leafed once again through Nick Bates's delightful With a Pinch of Salt (autographed with a wide grin by Ian McNaught on QE2 in September 2008), I would really like to quote this wonderful essay, which was

Written by a 10-year-old American schoolboy and published in the newsletter of the Society of Marine Port Engineers of New York NY Inc.

Why I want to be a captain

I want to be a captain when I grow up because it’s a funny job and easy to do. Captains don’t need much school education, they just have to learn numbers so they can read the instruments. I guess they should be able to read maps so they don’t get lost.

Captains have to be brave so they won’t be scared if it’s foggy and they can’t see, or if a propeller falls off they should stay calm so they will know what to do. Captains have to have eyes to see through the clouds and they can’t be afraid of thunder or lightning because they are closer to them than we are. The salary that captains make is another thing I like. They make more than they can spend. This is because most people think that captaining a ship is dangerous -- except captains, because they know how easy it is.

There isn’t much I don’t like, except girls like captains and all the girls want to marry captains, so they always have to chase them away so they won’t bother them. I hope that I don’t get seasick, because I get carsick and if I get seasick I could not be a captain and then I would have to go out to work.

Nick Bates adds : Pretty well sums it up

It was the last of the mid-day stories from his book which he told us on QE2 in 2005, the day before our return to Southampton. Happy memories...   ;D

Offline singlemalt

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2009, 10:23 PM »
Isabelle you've just made me laugh out loud with this!

Onboard Boudicca in August, the Captain read this during his 'Welcome Aboard' Cocktail Party in a marvellous Norwegian accent and it did make all the old dears chuckle.

Shame he didn't own up to where his 'inspiration' came from....... we were left with the impression that it was one of his own literary offerings.

Cheeky sod!   ;)
Wearer of swishy skirts and fab heels; otherwise known as the Cruise Director

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Just watching some DVDs of the Love Boat, Is it me or does Captain Merrill Stubing  bear an uncanny resemblance to a certain QE2 Captain..... :-\

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:15 PM »
 A Conversation with Captain Bates
http://www.beyondships.com/QM2-art-Bates.html
[Unfortunately there's some over-writing half way down the page]

Offline Chris

« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:40 AM »
I hear through the rumour mill that Nick Bates (and Paul Wright) are set to retire soon.
🎥 Check out my QE2 & Cruise Ship Videos: https://www.youtube.com/chrisframeofficial/

RmsAquitania

« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2010, 03:55 PM »
Seems like cunard are loosing all their best captains, thought it as so sad when Ian Mcnaught left, but I suppose time has to move on, be it good or bad.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2010, 04:43 PM »
Andy, Its not only their Captains they are losing, But the passengers as well..... :(

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #17 on: Apr 25, 2010, 06:25 PM »
I heard that the Captains just didn't like the way the Company is being run and they were being told to do 8 month contracts....so now they are pulling in the P/O and Princess Captains to Cunard.....

Shame really...the good old days are gone...and all those dignified Captains with it....Times change as you say....Cunard just not the same any more.

RmsAquitania

« Reply #18 on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Give cunard their due, at least their captains and officers met some of the passengers, and were regularly seen walking around the ship, so unlike the last cruise 2 weeks ago, not with cunard but another shipping company, where we never saw the captain or officers once.

Offline Matt

« Reply #19 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:51 AM »
There was an interesting newspaper article in the local paper here, just after the QM2 made her maiden Western Australian visit, and it said that he started his career over 40 years ago, on the MS Athena (Current name) which was in port the same day, then stating the QM2 will be his last ship of command before he retires, so it might just be coming sooner rather than later!
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2010, 10:47 PM »
In Liners' List today, from Karen Segboer :

Cunard news from Liners List friends this morning:

"Captain Nick Bates, Master of Queen Mary 2, retired from Cunard today after serving his entire career with them. The liner arrived in Southampton this morning following a cruise to Norway via Hamburg. Commodore Bernard Warner is now in command as the ship sails for New York this afternoon."

Karen Segboer
Warwick, NY

Kevin in London added :

And a jolly good Captain he is too. His teacher when he was younger apparently said he "spent too much time looking out the window." He actually started out with the Port Line, which was owned by Cunard.

Here's his background:

http://www.qm2.org.uk/captain_nb.html

Kevin in London

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinersList/message/123662

Happy retirement, Captain Bates! And do join the QE2Story Forum  :D  !

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #21 on: Aug 30, 2010, 09:56 AM »
All the best Captain Bates for a long happy healthy retirement.....you will be missed!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #22 on: Sep 29, 2010, 08:20 PM »
There is  a very good review in the we are cunard blog.  http://wearecunard.com/2010/09/president%e2%80%99s-blog-%e2%80%93-farewell-to-captain-bates/ 

Some great photos and a very special one at the bottom.
 I throughly enjoyed my voyages sailing with Captain Bates and the honour of dining on his table, which for me was the ultimate in all my cruising history, And the fact that he personally made the choice.
 God speed for a long and enjoyable retirement and lm sure the good wishes of many passengers will follow you... 
All Cunard captains are special,   But some are more special than others  ;)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2010, 05:30 PM »

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2010, 06:22 PM »
All the best to a true gentleman, and a very entertaining one!

Offline SaraSteiner

« Reply #25 on: Oct 11, 2010, 03:30 PM »
I had a long conversation on the phone today with Nick Bates. He is enjoying his retirement with his wife and cat and dogs ....one being a beautiful puppy.
I knew Nick 30 years ago when we sailed together on the QE2

I told him about the QE2 Story and sent him the web address.

Sallie AKA
SaraSteiner
Sallie AKA Sara

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Couldnt find the link

« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2022, 05:37 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Jem

« Reply #27 on: Oct 24, 2010, 04:24 AM »
Many thanks for that . I really enjoyed it. :)

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #28 on: Oct 24, 2010, 02:35 PM »
Thanks for all the great info - I'm ordering his book for my Dad for Christmas!!
Kathy

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #29 on: Oct 24, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Are your ordering via amazon or ebay? If its the latter ask the seller and chances are you can have it autographed personally by the name himself... ;)

Offline Kathy M.

« Reply #30 on: Oct 24, 2010, 03:44 PM »
I clicked a link on his website and it had a place to put a dedication - so that's how I think I will do it - but will look at Ebay also - thanks!!
Kathy

bobso

Re: Captain Nick Bates
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Here is a link to Captain Nick Bates who retired last October. Makes intersting reading. There are a number of pictures as well, maybe someone on the Forum will recognise themselves. Apologies if this has been posted before.

http://wearecunard.com/2010/10/queen-mary-2-ship%E2%80%99s-company-pay-tribute-to-captain-bates/

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 10:53 PM »
Thank you for that link, bobso. I had not seen it before and enjoyed the story -- even though I am sad that he has retired and we shall no longer find him steering a ship!

bobso

« Reply #33 on: Jun 30, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Here is a link to  site with some very nice pictures. Any members recognise themselves?--

http://www.nick-bates.co.uk/wp/gallery/

« Reply #34 on: Jun 30, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Altogether a nice web site, bringing us up to date with his new role as an after dinner speaker.

Thank you, bobso, for having taken us there!

Pat Curry

« Reply #35 on: Jun 30, 2011, 09:12 PM »
I'd say Nick Bates was one of the most popular captains; loved as much by passengers as crew.  Some are far from popular from the crew viewpoint.  However affable they appear in public, some can be distant and work by the book, operating an officious regime of crew discipline, crew cabin inspections and the like.  Not Nick Bates. What you saw was what you got with pax and crew alike. He was a pragmatist and crew duties were performed with sympathy.  He is a man of the people, and he relished his relationship with his crew, and they loved him for it. 

When I first worked on QE2, (from 1997) it was not unusual for crew to have worked on no other ship than QE2, for years and in some cases, decades.  Nick was through and through a Cunard man with over forty years service.  He had worked his way up from junior officer on QE2, via other Cunard ships to Master.   Nick knew the all the long-term QE2 crew like family.  He spent leisure time with them, fished with them and drank with them.  Other than Nick, I don't recall another captain welcomed in the F'o'c'sle Club. 

I first met him when he was QE2 Staff Captain, (or deputy captain; XO in military terms).  Carnival had recently taken over P&O, and were hell bent on swapping captains between lines, despite a marked cultural difference in management.  P&O captains came to QE2 and vice versa.  Nick was sent to Princess. 

Fortunately he returned to QE2 as Master after that, and I was on board at that time too.  His Captain's midday Bridge daily announcements were awaited with baited breath.  I believe he was unique in delivering his 'funnies' following the day to day Nav and weather reports.

Thank you bobso for reminding me of a great man.

I have just bought his book via his site. 

bobso

« Reply #36 on: Jul 01, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Here is a link to a video of the man himself--Nick Bates--hope you enjoy watching it--

« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2011, 01:02 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Pat Curry

« Reply #37 on: Jul 02, 2011, 08:59 PM »
Wonderful video bobso.  Thank you for locating all this remarkable archive material ,,, Spine tingling!

What must it been like for the weeny Artemus to have the biggest liner in the world loom up out of the mist and stop alongside, mid Atlantic!    

How wonderful; to hear Captain Bates’ soft Irish accent again and his irrepressible wit with …”I think you might be sounding a little nervous that we might be running you over”. It has to be one of the funniest quotes ever made on the high seas.

The short video shows so much.  Brilliant navigation, his great captaincy, his great passenger skills, fantastic photography on board QM2 and on the ocean, and a truly memorable event.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012, 06:26 PM by Queet-two »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #38 on: Aug 14, 2011, 09:43 PM »
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2022, 11:56 PM by Lynda Bradford »

« Reply #39 on: Aug 23, 2012, 03:59 PM »

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #40 on: Aug 23, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Thanks Isabelle!
I loved this story. Mr Bates is such a nice man.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #41 on: Aug 23, 2012, 07:41 PM »
What a good way to keep afloat.

« Reply #42 on: Aug 23, 2012, 08:51 PM »
And what a lovely warm interview! He was such a pleasant and cheerful captain of the QE2, with a great memory for people and a great presence on the ship. I am sure that we bumped into him here and there much more often than any other captain we sailed with.

In the video, I love the way he carries a piece of QE2 hull in his pocket to brandish to the interviewer and to show the viewers how thick QE2's hull really was!

Offline Rod

« Reply #43 on: Aug 23, 2012, 10:34 PM »
Way to go Nick!

Offline Alistair

« Reply #44 on: Aug 24, 2012, 05:42 AM »
What an interesting interview with a lovely guy and what an amazing souvenire. With a hull that thick QE2 will last forever!

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #45 on: Sep 22, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Listening to Nick Bates on Radio 4 Saturday Live about 40 mins in for I player

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01mtr34
« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2012, 11:28 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #46 on: Sep 22, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Im not normally one to link to ebay items BUT If anyone wants unusual christmas cards designed by Captain Nick Bates and also help a charity at the same time, then this might be an idea..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christmas-Card-painted-by-Ex-Captain-Cunards-QE2-and-QM2-10-cards-per-pack-/261101361415?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GreetingCards_ET&hash=item3ccada9907 

Offline Rod

« Reply #47 on: Sep 23, 2012, 12:42 AM »
Did any of you know that Nick Bates once served as furnishing manager on QE2?
You wanted a new carpet...go see Nick, a chair recovered, go see Nick. You had more luck asking in the Wardroom.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #48 on: Sep 23, 2012, 06:38 PM »
  Did any of you know that Nick Bates once served as furnishing manager on QE2?
You wanted a new carpet...go see Nick, a chair recovered, go see Nick. You had more luck asking in the Wardroom.   

I suppose given his later promotion, there was more interaction with the passengers than a bit of furniture ;)

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #49 on: Jul 21, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Amusing little book by Captain Nick Bates "With a Pinch of Salt"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pinch-Salt-Nick-Bates/dp/0954706234
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2013, 02:16 PM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2014, 06:51 PM »
He is truly a man of many talents :

http://www.linlithgowgazette.co.uk/news/local-news/nick-steers-wedding-team-1-3303710

And no doubt, the happy couples enjoy him conducting the wedding -- on land!

I loved the familiar backdrop too :) .

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #51 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:43 PM »
I conducted over 100 weddings when I was mayor of the town I live in.  Invariably the best man would come up with an envelope at the conclusion, and invariably I would ask him to make a donation to the volunteer ambulance squad.  Once I married a particularly unprepossessing couple at an especially inconvenient time, and when the envelope was proffered I took it figuring I was due a dinner out.  It contained $5.  Served me right!  I hope Nick does better and gets the dinner.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #52 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:49 PM »
That is a wonderful article about Captain Bates !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:05 PM »
And another very similar article (with the same picture) here :

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/former-captain-conduct-west-lothian-3142300

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Thank you, Isabelle, for the link to this article.  It is also very good.  I especially liked in both articles that Captain Bates found that the red carpet had come from our QE2 !  Quite amazing !  Captain Bates is making many couples' wedding day even more special by officiating at their weddings !  June

Offline Jeff Taylor

Surprise appearance by Nick Bates
« Reply #55 on: Feb 27, 2014, 09:43 PM »
With apologies to non-US folks who may not have access to this channel, I was watching a program called "Dinner Impossible" on the Cooking Channel today, which showcases Chef Robert Irvine.  Chef Irvine once cooked on Brittania during his service with HM Navy.  In any event this show, filmed in 2008, involved a challenge that he prepare 17,000 hors d'oeuvre in a short period of time for a sail away party on the Sapphire Princess departing Ketchikan, Alaska.  Presiding was none other than our Nick Bates as Captain who was his charming and witty self.   Nick welcomed Robert on board, gave him his challenge, and ultimately congratulated him and let him sound Sapphire Princess's horn and pretend to take the helm.  Catch the show if you have the chance!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #56 on: Feb 28, 2014, 02:47 PM »
Thanks for telling us about Captain Bates.  It must have been very interesting to watch !

Offline Rod

« Reply #57 on: Feb 28, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Have seen it a couple of times...You can get it on netflix or hulu in the us

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #58 on: Feb 28, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Good to know !

« Reply #59 on: Mar 06, 2014, 01:57 PM »
Another great article about Nick Bates and weddings... and did you notice how QE2 always manages to get into the headlines?

Dead link removed
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2022, 05:38 PM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #60 on: Mar 06, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Thank you very much, Isabelle, for posting the link to this wonderful article about Captain Bates, and yes, he always mentions our QE2.  How absolutely wonderful !  And it certainly sounds like Captain Bates is doing many exciting things and thoroughly enjoying them !  June

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #61 on: Nov 30, 2014, 02:31 PM »
We were coming in to Gib I think, Nick was on the Fo'c'sle with a radio, Quote  "10 feet from the Quay" - pause - "5 feet from the Quay" - pause - WHUMP, Lurch to port - "The Quay"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2018, 08:06 PM »
An interview with Nick Bates at home

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2018, 02:40 AM »
Great interview !  Thanks, Rob, for posting it !   :)

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2018, 12:04 PM »
I always got on well with Captain Bates, although he could rub some people up the wrong way!

On one trip with him we had a serious incident that required total secrecy, only myself and the Ch Purser were  'in the know'! Nick got wind that something was a foot and sent for me, i politely explained the secrecy agreement and he fully understood, asking me to return and tell him first once the secrecy restriction was lifted, which i did. He was fully supportive of the position the Ch Purser and i were in and praised us for carrying out the secrecy request.

It was very good to renew our acquaintance in Glasgow last year. 

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2018, 01:22 PM »
Captain Bates was very patient when we had a few small tech issues during the conference.

He was Master of QM2 when my other half and I did a return TA in 2009. His Midday stories were great.

Gav

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2018, 03:04 PM »
Captain Bates was very patient when we had a few small tech issues during the conference.

He was Master of QM2 when my other half and I did a return TA in 2009. His Midday stories were great.

Gav

His anecdotes and stories were wonderful onboard QM2. My Dad recorded one of his noonday reports on our 2010 return/roundtrip transatlantic:

First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Thank you, Thomas! Takes me right back... to Nick Bates on QE2 of course...

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2018, 10:24 PM »
Thank you, Thomas! Takes me right back... to Nick Bates on QE2 of course...

I associate Christopher Rynd the most with QE2 from my memories of the Captains, from around 2005 (just after Nick Bates was Captain if my memory is correct) as he'd just transferred from P&O Cruises or Princess when we travelled on QE2 in July 2005 and he was a very sociable Captain who walked around the ship frequently. However I associate Nick Bates with QM2! Talk about opposite memories!!! Both great Captains and people regardless.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2018, 10:51 PM »
And I associate Nick Bates with Caronia in the first instance... but we were so pleased to find him on QE2 the following year! When asked how he liked his new position, he beamed "I think I have died and gone to heaven!". Could he have endeared himself more?  ;D

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2018, 11:45 PM »
I associate Christopher Rynd the most with QE2 from my memories of the Captains, from around 2005 (just after Nick Bates was Captain if my memory is correct) as he'd just transferred from P&O Cruises or Princess when we travelled on QE2 in July 2005 and he was a very sociable Captain who walked around the ship frequently. However I associate Nick Bates with QM2! Talk about opposite memories!!! Both great Captains and people regardless.

I'm sorry Thomas but Christopher Rynd never was and never should be regarded as a QE2 Captain, that privelage can only be granted to true Cunard Officers. Certainly not to a Princess Captain 'parachuted' in by a truly useless Princess management, who couldn't wait to dilute the Cunard heritage with sub standard Princess personnel and policies.
I could write pages about how Princess totally ruined Cunard but I prefer not to swear online.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:13 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2018, 08:46 AM »
Andy is there any chance you could tone down your language a bit please, just in case it gets us in trouble in future.  You don't need to change the gist of what you're saying - and the abrupt insertion of Princess into Cunard is an important part of the QE2 Story.

But what about what happened next, all the subsequent "carnival" captains? 
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2018, 05:14 PM »
I'm sorry Thomas but Christopher Rynd never was and never should be regarded as a QE2 Captain, that privelage can only be granted to true Cunard Officers. Certainly not to a Princess Captain 'parachuted' in by a truly useless Princess management, who couldn't wait to dilute the Cunard heritage with sub standard Princess personnel and policies.
I could write pages about how Princess totally ruined Cunard but I prefer not to swear online. 

Andy l quite agree with you, some of us old farts/Cunard Die hards, call us what you like never did see Rhynd as a QE2 Captain , One dear old QE2 friend who thew caution to the wind and sailed on QM2 (once) had the great pleasure to meet the Captain and Mrs Captain, but thats another story, which lm best not to go down the road on here with. She called him Captain Bacon, more that that l wont say on an open forum.  where as Nick Bates was QE2 through and though, inspite of his assignment to the dark side (Princess Cruises)  We are sure he didnt go there by choice. (well no one would, would they ?)

Ok lm baised but as a Captain Nick Bates simply flowed Cunard and QE2 when l was at his table for 3 weeks .Now thanks  to Princess and their happy clappy ways, the invite to Dine with The Captain is extended for the duration of one night, and your asked to RSVP it ! Can you imagine being asked to RSVP a Captains Invite on QE2.

Im the first to admit i have fallen behind in the whats going on at the company formally known as Cunard , there are all sorts of names that are banded about, mostly unofficial ones  ;) but dignity wont allow me to mention the name here  . But these days when you do hear the name Captain ,Do Princess still allow such a name to be used, (l did hear once someone referred to as a Deputy Captain,l had visions of seeing a gun slinging, lose belted Cowboy hat wearing man, But no surely the Americanism wouldnt have gone so deep as that ?, but i digress )    l can honesty say l have no unearthly idea who they are ! lm just waiting for the day for someone to say they walked up the gangway on one of the Queen ships ,and were high fived by A Captain Who  , then we will know Princess have taken complete control  :o

But then watching the re runs of the Love Boat on TV just now , could you imagine taking a Princess Cruise back then..

Im kinda reminded on when l took a fly cruise on the MSC Melody from Gennoa in 2005, all was going reasonably well and l was coping very well , and we were sailing a way and this Conga line appeared, cruise staff, people with baskets of fruit on their head , l knew then l had to for a week just forget all notions of Cunard and QE2.   

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Andy is there any chance you could tone down your language a bit please, just in case it gets us in trouble in future.  You don't need to change the gist of what you're saying - and the abrupt insertion of Princess into Cunard is an important part of the QE2 Story.

But what about what happened next, all the subsequent "carnival" captains?

Rob, i thought i had 'toned down' my language, you should have read my first draft!

I'm sorry if i offend anybody but, the truth is THE truth and needs to be told, any 'old' Cunard/QE2 crew who were around in 2005 for 'the ethnic cleansing' will agree. Peter Ratcliffe openly stated that he disliked Cunard when he was with P&O and would do all  in his powers to bring about it's downfall. Fortunately his hands were somewhat restricted by others in Princess management and Cunard survived, just!
When we had the first 'welcome' lectures by Princess it was stated that things would remain, which those of us in similar positions to myself doubted and thought strange, as there were a lot of things in Cunard that definitely needed upgrading and modifying for the 20th century, let alone the 21st!   
It was stated that ALL systems and procedures, across both brands, would be looked at and then, the best and most efficient versions would be rolled out across the combined fleet! The only thing that was used from Cunard was the Bridge Procedures, which actually Carnival as a group actually adopted across their whole brand.
Then we come onto 'The Ethnic Cleansing' of Cunard Officers in 2005, 'we' were told that it was to help other brands with less experienced, non English speaking Officers, adapt to 'English speaking' passengers and spread our experience across the brands, mainly Princess although some of us 'ventured' further afield as well.
Nick Bates was one of those of us who went on 'work experience' with Princess as did many other well known Cunard Officers, Ian McNaught, Inger Klein Olsen, Martin Carroll etc, etc. 
It wasn't even a case of "would you like to go to A or B or C.." it was more this is where you're going, take it or leave it.!
In my case, before i was even told i was moving, my 'relief' turned up at the gangway in Southampton for a look around! Later that day i was 'officially' told i was moving to Star Princess, which later was changed to Ocean Village!
But i did had had a good laugh at Princess' expense when we were in Athens for the 2004 Olympics.
I was working for Cunard Port Operations, based in Miami at the time, with partial responsibility for QM2's Security at the Olympics. As a rider here QM2 was chartered by ATHOC and as such was officially an 'Olympic Venue' and as such came under Olympic Laws, yes there are such things. One being that, you are not admitted to an Olympic venue if you are intoxicated, as one young QM2 chef found out to his 'inconvenience' the first night we were in Athens. He was arrested while returning back onboard around 0130, locked up and not released to the QM2 Duty Security Officer's custody until 1500 the next day!
Anyway to continue, during a lot of the pre-event meetings in Athens we were accompanied by a 'security adviser' from the UK Embassy in Athens. At a 'breakout' meeting one day, mainly for QM2 Security items, also present was Princess Fleet Security Manager and ex USN Naval Intelligence Officer. The meeting progressed well until we came to a specific subject, and the Embassy man asked the Princess man to leave the meeting as his next input was for 'UK Passport Holders' only! After much argument about his position etc, said Princess man reluctantly agreed to leave but said he would be reporting Mr UK Embassy to Princess in Santa Clarita! After he left 'Mr Embassy' told those of us left, all UK Passport Holders and ex UK Military, that he had nothing to say that actually Mr Princess couldn't have heard, it was just that he was making a point and Mr Princess had 'p*s*ed him off with his pompous and 'know it all' attitude and the way he always tried to belittle 'US' Cunard people, and as we couldn't say anything to Mr Princess and he could he did! Mr Princess was very nice to Mr Embassy after that but treated with with caution and respect, especially when he found out his Military background!!!
With regards your last sentence about 'Carnival' Captains, the same applies, they never were or never should be regarded as 'true QE2 Captains', a true QE2 Captain has come up through the Cunard Officer Ranks, knows Cunard history, it's traditions and most importantly of all QE2 PASSENGERS, and they him or in some, sadly all too rare occasions,her!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2018, 07:44 PM »
Andy, sorry if I opened up a bad memory for you  - as it sounds like it was and for other "real" Cunard crew at the time. I was merely basing what I said on personal experience as a passenger at the time (circa 2005) which was obviously a very different experience!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2018, 08:37 PM »
  Rob, i thought i had 'toned down' my language, you should have read my first draft! 
I thought it was very tame..In turth lm amazed i havent been ask to tone it down yet..