Author Topic: Colour Schemes of the Classic Queens  (Read 3408 times)

Hamburg

Colour Schemes of the Classic Queens
« on: Jul 06, 2011, 08:45 AM »
That the QE2's colour scheme changed numerous times over the years is a well-known fact. But what about the old Queens, I wonder.
They did not greatly change in general appearance (apart from the new aft deck the QE received toward the end of her carreer). Where there any changes at all?

Offline Michael Gallagher

Re: Colour Schemes of the Classic Queens
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2011, 02:08 PM »
I suspect that apart from when both ships were painted grey during war service their colours with Cunard were the same throughout their Cunard careers.

There were changes in colours after departure from Cunard. Queen Mary has had several variations of red and orange on her funnel over the years. And Queen Elizabeth was repainted all white with yellow funnels for her service with Orient Overseas Line - a service she never saw.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Some of QE's windows were painted out at the top of her observation bar... and stayed that way until after she left Cunard.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2011, 12:16 AM »
They did not greatly change in general appearance (apart from the new aft deck the QE received toward the end of her carreer). Where there any changes at all?

The Queen Mary had an addition to her aft deckhouse very early in her career.  Additional accomodation and a wardroom for engineer officers was built atop the Verandah Grill.    This space is now "Sir Winston's" restaurant.

Online Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2011, 03:58 PM »
...And Queen Elizabeth was repainted all white with yellow funnels for her service with Orient Overseas Line - a service she never saw.

I agree but the purist in me says that QE was not under the CUNARD flag when she received this color scheme.  Also don't forget about QM painted a light color at launch as well as QE while on the stocks.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2011, 05:52 PM »
Do we have any photos of the Queen Elizabeth in the Orient Overseas Lines colours... What colour was she when she ended up in Hong Kong..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2013, 09:36 PM »
She was all white with red bottom paint--bizarre looking compared to how one visualizes her.  I imagine the white on her hull wouldn't have held up very well as they never media blasted her down to bare metal and primer.

Offline CAP

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2013, 02:26 PM »
Following the end of hostilities but before returning to Cunard service the funnels were re-painted Cunard orange whilst the remainder of the vessel remained wartime grey

1964 Colour film of Southampton and Queen Elizabeth

Started by JemBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 1
Views: 2788
Last post Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Poll August 2019 Competition : Colour Green

Started by June IngramBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 19
Views: 2538
Last post Oct 01, 2019, 03:07 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Poll for December 2018 Competition : Colour Red

Started by June IngramBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 19
Views: 3645
Last post Jan 31, 2019, 03:15 PM
by June Ingram
October 2022 : Colour black

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Archived Topics (2024 Calendar)

Replies: 9
Views: 1125
Last post Nov 27, 2022, 05:46 PM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2 Launch - Colour Footage - British Movietone

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 build film footage/videos

Replies: 1
Views: 967
Last post Nov 19, 2020, 01:54 PM
by Lynda Bradford