Adverts only show for non-members

Poll

How would you rate the meals for dinner onboard?

High Five
6 (85.7%)
Average
1 (14.3%)
Not very good
0 (0%)
Not good at all
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: QE2 cuisine  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

QE2 cuisine
« on: Jun 19, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Myles, in his fascinating diary of his first ever QE2 voyage, in 1986, posts the daily menus :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,3276.0.html

I love the menu covers -- in my much later years on QE2 I cannot remember ever having been on board for an occasion with a special menu cover. These ones are superbly designed!

But what I am getting at here, is the actual menu -- the dishes served. During the last decade of QE2's Cunard life, the food was rather different (and probably more to my liking), and I wonder whether any of you who knew QE2 over the years noticed the gradual changes and had a preference for the cuisine of a particular period?

Offline cunardqueen

Re: QE2 cuisine
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2011, 11:54 PM »
I hate to say it but lm quite a picky or fussy eater :o and what l dreaded was opening the menu and finding nothing l liked.
Even if there was something on the menu that l didnt perhaps like, there was never any problem having something done differently, or even having a small portion just to taste, Never was l refused, but then if you ask the staff in a gentle way nothing was any trouble for them.
 I will never forget on the Westbound trip in 1987 the waiter announced tonight was a French Dinner, Until l got the menu l was having  some very irregular heart beats, given that l didnt speak french and the thought of snails did nothing for me.
Caviar for me was an example, l tried it one night, and really didnt like it, But then again lmagine at 17 years of age being able to not like Caviar thanks to QE2  :-\ 

The Alan Whicker Fast Boat to china you see the Chef making a "Floating Island" on special request what on earth would this be, and was it Grapes they were dipping in the pan??? any ideas folks?   
There was one trip l recall doing and the portion control seemed to be on the small side.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2011, 03:28 PM »
The French Dinner menu....(with snails  :-\)

** OLD DEAD LINK REMOVED **img195/9113/img362w.jpg[/img]

Now what would YOU have had
I only went for the Pineapple,Cherry soup,Sherbet,Chops, Caramel Custard and the Strasbourg Coffee...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Sadly, when I was on there was not really a great menu and it was a 5 or 7 day rotation. When people like Karl Winkler came on board..things changed....but it was a long time coming.
Do not wish to upset anyone but when I was on they had cooks..not Chefs. It was a mass production menu.

Offline Davina

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Food Quality
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2011, 06:43 AM »
Five top Restaurants with food served in different ways, some of the forum members having eaten in all some in just one Restaurant but in overall how would you rate the meals for dinner?

Offline Lynda Bradford

Re: Food Quality
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2011, 09:26 AM »
On QE2 I dined in the Mauretania, the Caronia and the Princess Grill in the late 1990's and 2000's and was impressed with the food quality of all the meals.  Even in the Lido the quality of food was good. 

Now that I cruise on the new Cunard ships I would say that the menu choices and food quality is not as good but certainly above average. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Looking at that picture several posts back of the QE's 1st class dining room brings back sooooo many memories.  There was a two-page menu that took 15 minutes to read, but passengers were genuinely encouraged to request items off the menu, i.e. "no oysters tonight?", "certainly sir, would you like a dollop of caviar on each?".   It was over the top, and no offense was taken if you challenged the chef in a polite way.  Beef Wellington, lobster, swordfish not on the menu?, caviar canapes, cherries jubilee, you name it.  I KNOW there's nothing like it today on Cunard except perhaps for the Grills, and I haven't travelled in that class.  I'd love to hear some feedback from those who have.  Can you play "stump the band" with the chefs in the Grills today?

Well, I never wanted to... so I never even gave it a thought...

I am not fussed about caviar and would prefer the sturgeons to stay alive. And as for smoked salmon, we can enjoy that any day in Ireland. There were days perhaps when I might have wondered about the choice of cheeses on the cheese board -- but really, there was always such a lot of excellent food on the menu that asking for anything beyond that would have seemed astonishing.

BUT... our Mum likes Parma ham for her bread at breakfast time and, once the waiters had discovered this, it was always ready for her, every day, waiting for her arrival. I don't think it ever figured on the breakfast menu.

And Pia and I went for the vegetarian options on the lunch and dinner menu. It did not take more than a couple of meals, and we were brought the generous vegetarian menu and told that we could order anything off it, provided we did so one meal in advance. The choice was excellent, and we made good use of the various options!

Once the waiters had discovered that we particularly liked Indian vegetarian, we were offered extra off-menu dishes and were told that the Indian chefs would prepare them for us. The result was so superb that, when I recently ordered a meal for a big family occasion, Pia and I thought that, if we were given free rein, we would have asked those same chefs to cook those same Indian vegetable curries for us again...

The vegetarian menu was available to all vegetarian passengers on board, as I discovered. At our very first meal during a 3-night mini cruise on QE2 in July 2008, our waiter in the Mauretania Restaurant asked me whether I was vegetarian and brought that menu to serve me for the rest of the voyage. Such attention I have never received anywhere else...

Oh, the memories....   :)

Offline Rod

« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:53 PM »
To be honest...with some of the passengers  they would never be pleased.
But if you talked to pax on a long cruise, say over 5 days a lot of them were desparate for something plain and simple like beef stew, fish and chips, bacon and egg bhuttis!

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:21 PM »
My perception about Cunard food now is that (1) it's not a whole lot different from typical Carnival food (not that that's the worst of the mass market cruise lines) except perhaps in the Grills which I have admittedly not experienced, but (2) it seems to me to be a cut above on the transatlantic crossings than on the Caribbean island hops--perhaps because they feel you're truly confined to the ship on a transatlantic while on the other cruises there are a lot of diversions.  The service is definitely more formal, and you obviously don't have tuxedo nights on the Carnival brand, but I hate to say I feel that's the majority of the difference.  One plus, on our last QM2 cruise we had a British wine steward who was off QE2 and had been with QM2 since its introduction.  We put ourselves in his hands, with some guidelines on price, and were never sorry.  Still, I wish I could say meals were as much of a treat as the brochures promise.