Author Topic: Cunard cargo ships  (Read 8915 times)

Offline CAP

Re: Cunard's cargo ships
« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Most people would be amazed to know that at one time Cunard and its companies were the largest combined shipping company in the world. The pax fleet being almost the smallest part.

You're absolutely right Rod, from Containers to Oil Supply from Bulk Carriers to Refrigeration and to at one time having the largest aviation cargo fleet in the world!
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2014, 09:35 AM by CAP »

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
Re: Cunard's cargo ships
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2014, 09:33 AM »
Yes the Oily Boily was my last ship before QE2 in 1977, and possibly the deepest draft ship ever to go through the Dover Straits. 2nd Off was Chris Haughton who later sailed with us on QE2 and is today with Jane Sullivan from the bureau and occasional Capt Sec.  oops, in danger of slipping off-topic!
Willum

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Cunard cargo ships
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:19 PM »
I wonder when Cunard ceased to have cargo ships, and which was the very last one?

Was there any kind of ceremony when the final cargo ship departed the Cunard fleet?

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:34 PM »
...and now all they need is some time with Princess.  Those with Cunard experience only need not apply!

Or a mind of their own!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:38 PM »
I wonder when Cunard ceased to have cargo ships, and which was the very last one?

Was there any kind of ceremony when the final cargo ship departed the Cunard fleet?

The last under Cunard management could've been Atlantic Causeway (Conveyor's sister and a Falklands veteran herself) as she was scrapped in 1986 (only completed around 1969/70). Both Atlantic Causeway and Conveyor were Cunard's contribution to Atlantic Container Line (ACL) set up and operated by several well known shipping lines in the 1960s and still around today but owned by Grimaldi.

Can anyone confirm?
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Cunard cargo operations are a bit of a mystery to me but in 1991 Cunard - Ellerman (formed in 1987) passed to Andrew Weir Group, who sold it to Hamburg Süd in 2003. In 2004 the name was dropped and Ellerman Lines ceased to exist.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2018, 04:20 PM »
The last under Cunard management could've been Atlantic Causeway (Conveyor's sister and a Falklands veteran herself) as she was scrapped in 1986 (only completed around 1969/70). Both Atlantic Causeway and Conveyor were Cunard's contribution to Atlantic Container Line (ACL) set up and operated by several well known shipping lines in the 1960s and still around today but owned by Grimaldi.

Can anyone confirm?

I have come across several 'old' Cunard cargo Officers in my time, they tended to be mostly Radio Officer who had ceased being 'sparkies' and become Computer Officers.

The husband of a college friend of my wife, was a Cunard Cargo Chief Officer working on Bulk Carriers in the 60s & early 70s. He did both grain and iron ore mainly between Canada and Europe/North Africa.
She told us once about a cargo of grain that they took to Tunisia or Algeria. There was problems with berths alongside - possibly 'back handers' not being paid/received - and they lay at anchor for almost 6 weeks. In the end they just went out into International waters and had to pump the whole cargo approx 70/80k tons of grain over the side! Then it was clean out the holds and head back to Canada for another cargo.

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:45 PM »
I will sound extremely dumb but the only cargo liner that I knew about was their Atlantic Conveyor.
Blue hydrangea, cold cash, divine, cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:02 AM »
Cunard had huge cargo operations over the decades and were involved with significant cargo companies such as Brocklebank, Port Line, Ellerman and Atlantic Container.

For a while the Brocklebank family were running the whole show - Sir John Brocklebank is the one to thank for cancelling Q3 and placing the order for QE2.

Further to what I said in earlier post: In 1971, when Cunard was purchased by the conglomerate Trafalgar House, Cunard operated cargo and passenger ships, hotels and resorts. Its cargo fleet consisted of 42 ships in service, with 20 on order. Cunard's cargo fleet was sold off between 1989 and 1991, with a single container ship, the second Atlantic Conveyor, remaining under Cunard ownership until 1996.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018, 09:06 AM by Michael Gallagher »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:56 AM »
with a single container ship, the second Atlantic Conveyor, remaining under Cunard ownership until 1996.

Would it be safe to say she was the last Cunard cargo ship as per Isabelle's question? She was scrapped at Alang quite recently having very much served her purpose. Also had the "North Bar" for the crew in tribute to Captain Ian North of the original Atlantic Conveyor. I think all the new ACL (Grimaldi) cargo ships are named with Atlantic and then a word beginning with "S"? Atlantic Star, first of the new class (if I remember correctly) recently spent a long time docked within the Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg for reasons I don't know. Atlantic Star and her sisters are UK registered - a nice touch I think!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Thomas - I think we can assume Atlantic Conveyor was the last Cunard cargo ship.

I attended the christening of the Atlantic Sea by Princess Anne in Liverpool in October 2016 and the ACL MD spoke at the special Cunard Falklands commemoration I organised in Liverpool on 25 May 2017.

Offline CAP

« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Cunard had huge cargo operations over the decades and were involved with significant cargo companies such as Brocklebank, Port Line, Ellerman and Atlantic Container.

Hi Michael,

I think you may be doing the company a disservice, Brocklebank and Port Line (formerly Commomnwealth and Dominion Line were wholly owned subsidiaries. Cunard allowed both companies to operate effectively as stand-alone entities.  It was only during the late sixties/early seventies that the fleets were merged under the Cunard-Brocklebank banner.  Ellerman and ACL were effectively joint ventures with Cunard contributing vessels to the new companies.  Cunard also expanded its container operations with another venture, Cunard And Middle East Lines (CAMEL) albeit with smaller tonnage than ACL.

Over the past 175 years Cunard has acquired and disposed of other shipping lines including non-passenger traffic.

Offline Rod

« Reply #32 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:16 PM »
Don't forget thr north sea supply ships. Were there not about 20-30 of them at one time?

Offline CAP

« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:27 AM »
Yep, Cunard did own Offshore Marine.  It acquired the business in the late sixties before selling it in the seventies.  For those that remember North Sea Gas coming on stream well, a “Cunard” ship was present at the inauguration of the supply to the UK, an Offshore vessel!

Glenn, Keeper of The Cunard Shrine in NYC

Started by Glenn C ReimerBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 6
Views: 780
Last post Sep 29, 2017, 06:15 PM
by June Ingram
Cunard documents re 1986/7 refit

Started by Beardy RichBoard The 1980s

Replies: 9
Views: 3215
Last post Oct 07, 2010, 02:02 PM
by Beardy Rich