Author Topic: Cunard relax dress code  (Read 16453 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Cunard relax dress code
« Reply #20 on: Jun 21, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Looks like Cunard need to make it clearer about what is expected.   In the Cunard web site FAQ on daytime dress code in the restaurants states that shorts are only acceptable in the Lido or Kings Court.  So two parts of the web site have conflicting advice. 

During the day casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. The main restaurants require a casual wear dress code for breakfast and lunch, however you may wear shorts in either the Kings Court (Queen Mary 2) or Lido Restaurant (Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth).

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline pete cain

« Reply #21 on: Jun 21, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Distinctly remember hanging around just a little too long after a sailaway on QE2, in me casuals, turning around  & being surprised by folk in their dinner dress strolling around the upper decks before dinner. As to whether or not there was a cut off time,  I don't know but, I certainly hurried below & out of sight.   We went on a Princess  cruise  not long after  a QE2  (2007) & were really taken aback even then, as to how''relaxed'' things were away from QE2.  In retrospect it wasn't  Cunard  but QE2, we spent our money to sail with,     QE2 was  it!. People don't say I flew British Airways  when referring to Concorde do they?, no, they flew Concorde

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Jun 21, 2013, 09:55 PM »
I think people really struggle with the dress code, and understanding what's expected  I know I do. It can actually be quite stressful! It's worse for someone like me who can have years pass between cruises!

I'm pretty sure on my med cruise on QE2 in 2008 I had lunch in the princess grill in shorts without complaint - they were smart though, and I was always very smart in the evening!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Barrie Evans

« Reply #23 on: Jun 21, 2013, 11:35 PM »
We have recently returned from New York sailing back to Southampton on the Queen Mary 2. We have to say that we were very impressed  with the dress code that was carried out in the Britannia restaurant.

There where three formal nights, and four Informal nights. On the formal nights every one was correctly dressed. And on the informal nights, where the dress code is now relaxed for the gentleman, we noticed that 95 per cent of the gentleman did wear a tie. I was pleased to see this as I personally do not want to see the dress code relaxed.

When our ladies dress so nicely for us, I feel us men should wear a jacket and tie to show our total respect for them in such nice surroundings as the Britannia restaurant.

Barrie & Jean Evans.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #24 on: Jun 24, 2013, 12:56 PM »
The dress code, and correct me if lm wrong is only "suggested"..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Barrie Evans

« Reply #25 on: Jun 24, 2013, 08:45 PM »
 :) Hi Myles. In answer to your comment about dress code.  I E "Suggested "  I've looked at our recent Queen Mary 2 paper work regarding  "Dress  Requirements". It reads as follows.

DAYTIME WEAR

Stylish  casual  wear, including shorts and smart jeans, is fine during the day on board, in keeping with the ships elegant surroundings. Swimsuits , micro shorts, sarongs and gym wear should be reserved for pool-side, on deck or in the spa and fitness centre and please note that swimwear must be covered up before entering any enclosed areas.

EVENING  WEAR.

After 6.00pm, shorts and blue or worn denim (for men and women): sandals and sleeveless tops (for men)  are NOT considered appropriate within the ship. On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court buffet restaurant and relax in the Winter Garden bar, but should not use other areas within the ship, including our Alternative Dining Restaurants, out of respect for your fellow guests. 

FORMAL:    Dinner Jacket, tuxedo or dark suit tie for gentlemen.

Evening or cocktail dress for ladies.

INFORMAL.  Jacket required, tie optional for gentlemen.

Cocktail dress, stylish separates or equivalent for ladies.

I could not see any where it stated "suggested"

I hope this is of help for you.

In friendship
Barrie

« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2013, 08:49 PM by Barrie Evans »

Offline Trevor Casey

« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2018, 01:23 AM »
I don't like how they relaxed the rules. I'd be horrified if I caught someone in sweatpants (Karl Lagerfeld says they are a sign of defeat.)and a tshirt.
Blue hydrangea, cold cash, divine, cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.

Glenn, Keeper of The Cunard Shrine in NYC

Started by Glenn C ReimerBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 6
Views: 778
Last post Sep 29, 2017, 06:15 PM
by June Ingram
Cunard 175th anniversary on ITV Meridian News

Started by riskygizmoBoard Cunard

Replies: 1
Views: 1639
Last post Aug 16, 2013, 05:08 PM
by Michael Gallagher