Author Topic: QE2 on STV  (Read 7316 times)

Offline highlander0108

Re: QE2 on STV
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Erma indeed, Probably the only lady l knew, who as they say has balls !!!
photo attached
But can you imagine nearly 2000 sea days with cunard.... 3 weeks l found just long enough, mainly for the clothes and l was so knackered towards the end and the luggage was always a bug bear, and yet a cruise of 5-10 days was to short

Malcolm, you notched up a fair number of days in your last year
Must admit l always dreamed of a world cruise on QE2, the weight gain and the luggage would be my down fall... and l couldnt afford it
Why not share with us your tales from a World Cruise, for a start how on earth do you prepare for such a journey, Wasnt yours a last minute thing? did you both ever yearn for a night off just to chill out, did you ever think at times it was too much... :o

I just received the Cunarder in the mail yesterday.  Was she one of the ones featured on the last page?  I recall the person was honored on QV has having logged the most days onboard Cunard.  

Our firends who were on the World Cruise with Malcolm told me that they did get tired of the formal nights and all the eating so every so often they would skip dining in Caronia and change it up for variety.  THey had 8 full suitcases coming off the ship in Southampton!  When I met them in NYC on the final stop before heading back, both commented that they had to buy some new clothes since they had gained some weight while being onboard.  They have told me it was a once in a lifetime thing to do, made even more special being on her final World Cruise.

Myles, that is my favorite tie you have on in that pic. I bought the red version last time, but the blue is my favorite.

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2010, 12:09 PM by Rob Lightbody »
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Our firends who were on the World Cruise with Malcolm told me that they did get tired of the formal nights and all the eating so every so often they would skip dining in Caronia and change it up for variety.  THey had 8 full suitcases coming off the ship in Southampton!  When I met them in NYC on the final stop before heading back, both commented that they had to buy some new clothes since they had gained some weight while being onboard.  They have told me it was a once in a lifetime thing to do, made even more special being on her final World Cruise.

Four months on-board is quite an experience. I can't think of anything to compare it to (We were on-board for a month in September and that just didn't have the same feel as an entire world cruise). Having done it once I'm not sure that I would say it was "once in a lifetime" - I might repeat it a few years down the line!

I think they were very lucky to only have eight cases between them - we had eight each! We know that our waists would expand and had therefore packed accordingly. We went from some of the coldest places I've been (southern South America) to some of the hottest (the Panama Canal and Cartagena) so we needed every kind of clothing - each item in at least two sizes! (To give an idea I went from a 38" waist to a 44" on that trip)

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Our firends who were on the World Cruise with Malcolm told me that they did get tired of the formal nights and all the eating so every so often they would skip dining in Caronia and change it up for variety.  THey had 8 full suitcases coming off the ship in Southampton!  When I met them in NYC on the final stop before heading back, both commented that they had to buy some new clothes since they had gained some weight while being onboard.  They have told me it was a once in a lifetime thing to do, made even more special being on her final World Cruise.

Four months on-board is quite an experience. I can't think of anything to compare it to (We were on-board for a month in September and that just didn't have the same feel as an entire world cruise). Having done it once I'm not sure that I would say it was "once in a lifetime" - I might repeat it a few years down the line!

I think they were very lucky to only have eight cases between them - we had eight each! We know that our waists would expand and had therefore packed accordingly. We went from some of the coldest places I've been (southern South America) to some of the hottest (the Panama Canal and Cartagena) so we needed every kind of clothing - each item in at least two sizes! (To give an idea I went from a 38" waist to a 44" on that trip)

I have to stand corrected on the baggage.  They believe they shipped  boxes of stuff home while in Ft. Lauderdale.  They thought they'd be burned out from cruising, but they booked a very long leg of the QV world cruise and just got back recently.  I think you could say they have the cruising bug.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/