Adverts only show for non-members

Poll

By the traits and attributes mentioned in the below text, what ship is/was the "best" Queen

Queen Mary
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth 2
Queen Mary 2
Queen Victoria
Queen Elizabeth (3)

Author Topic: Vote for the "best" Queen  (Read 11888 times)

Online Bob C.

Vote for the "best" Queen
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:54 PM »
This poll is not about voting for your favorite ship as this forum would most likely show an overwhelming bias towards QE2. 

This is instead about how you would rate and rank the Queens on a common scale of service, luxury, significance (historical and other), elegance and appearance as well as any other trait you wish to consider. 

I can tell you that my favorite is not QE2... ::)  (sacrilege, I know...)

Offline Twynkle

Re: Vote for the "best" Queen
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Hey Bob,

This is Poll well nigh impossible - nay, fiendish - even!!
(How are you, by the way? :)  )

How can it be possible to vote for the best / favourite...
I love them all - specially in really, really rough seas!
if I'd had the opportunity to spend 103 nights on all of the Queens - some more Queenly than others, it has to be said - then each one would have had an equal chance!

Then as you suggest, it could be best in one category, and ( ::) ) - worst in another...
Bit like saying 'compare and contrast' all battleships produced since 1936 ;)

Maybe there's another way of doing the Poll - so that each is judged by the same categories
However, perhaps the page would end up like one of those cruise books - that wouldn't be a good idea, i s'pose!

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:34 AM »
Hey Bob,

This is Poll well nigh impossible - nay, fiendish - even!!

It sure is, But as youve asked lm voting for Queen Mary, only for the fact the new ones l really dont care for etc etc, there isnt enough out there to vote for Queen Elizabeth. However Queen Mary is the one for me. What they have done in preserving her for history says a lot. Ok so perhaps they havent got everything right,But the moment you walk up the gangway step aboard and if you dare just close your eyes for a moment you would swear sailing time was only a few hours away. Iv stayed 5 nights onboard so far, still havent seen all of her, cant wait to get back on her again, so for me Queen Mary gets my vote....

But QE2 is still tops ;D   (let me make that quite clear!!)

Perhaps if everyone else wanted to explain why they voted, it could make for an interesting topic...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:54 AM »

Difficult choice to make as the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth are significant in the historical context of my family (my dad built them).   The rich and the famous sailed on them enjoying the luxury and service that was provided and they found a place in history during WW2. 

However for me the best Queen will always be QE2.  A thoroughly modern lady when she went into service in 1968 who matured into an elegant lady by the time she was retired.  You only have to look at the QE2  timeline on this forum to see that she surpasses the others in the historical context.  But then again maybe I am biased. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Bob C.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Great spread with the votes tallied so far.  I meant for folks to put their thinking caps on for this exercise and it looks like that's happening.  Well done to all so far!

(and Rosie,all is good here in Pensacola. How 'bout with you?)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 10:42 PM »
Thats really hard for me to choose. I really love the original Queen's Mary and Elizabeth and of course QE2 aswell as Queen Mary 2.

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Really difficult... Either QM1, QE1, or QE2.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Despite Bob C.'s instructions in the first post, in my view, the winner is simply QE2, that's it, done !   ;D
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • A young photographer, and a QE2 & Concorde lover!
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Sorry QE2 fans, but I didn't vote for her.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #9 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:59 PM »
I said those 3 because they served for about 30 years (QE1, 29 years) or more. They served as troopships. And QV and QE3 are cruise ships, not ocean liners. Yes, this is a tough choice.

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #10 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:01 PM »
May I ask what you voted for, Adam?

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:18 PM »
May I ask what you voted for, Adam?

Sure. I voted for RMS Queen Elizabeth.
"The QE2 is one of the last great transatlantic liners, and arguably the most famous liner in the world"

"QE2 and Concorde, a partnership that lasted almost 30 years... two stunning pieces of engineering, never to be forgotten!"

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #12 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:19 PM »
It was a very difficult choice between the QM, QE and QE2.

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #13 on: Jun 04, 2014, 02:08 AM »
Ah. The namesake of the namesake of the namesake of our forum. Which itself had a namesake, who was the mother of the second namesake of the namesake of our forum. If you could follow that.  ;D

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #14 on: Jun 04, 2014, 02:08 AM »
I myself voted for QM1.

Offline Adam Hodson

• Ocean Liner Enthusiast
  • Princess Grill Diner
    • Flickr Photostream
« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2014, 07:35 AM »
I votes for QE1 because of most of the reasons that people would vote for QM1, however QE1 is an improved design.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2014, 10:04 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Queen Mary because she was the first, incredibly famous, held the blue riband.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Adam Ilgin

« Reply #17 on: Jun 04, 2014, 11:23 AM »
Both of you are right, that's why I had such a hard time deciding.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #18 on: Jun 04, 2014, 11:27 AM »
I originally had QE but have just changed it to QE2.

Reason?

Well QM whilst being immensly popular was actually a pretty "safe" design by the time she came out - she was a child of the 20s with some mods (original drawings have her with a counter stern which was Edwardian!). QE was a sensible and logical evolution of QM. Dont get me wrong - I love them both and am extremely proud that they were born on my home river but if I'm honest, Normandie would have taken that Blue Riband from QM had she survived. She was the QE2 of her time IMHO.

QE2 however broke the Cunard ocean liner "mould" and encompassed new concepts in her engineering design, interior design, the way she looked and more importantly her purpose.

Cunard moved the bar upwards and forwards with her so she gets it for me!!

Gav
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2014, 11:36 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #19 on: Jun 04, 2014, 01:47 PM »
I originally had QE but have just changed it to QE2.

Reason?

Well QM whilst being immensly popular was actually a pretty "safe" design by the time she came out - she was a child of the 20s with some mods (original drawings have her with a counter stern which was Edwardian!). QE was a sensible and logical evolution of QM. Dont get me wrong - I love them both and am extremely proud that they were born on my home river but if I'm honest, Normandie would have taken that Blue Riband from QM had she survived. She was the QE2 of her time IMHO.

QE2 however broke the Cunard ocean liner "mould" and encompassed new concepts in her engineering design, interior design, the way she looked and more importantly her purpose.

Cunard moved the bar upwards and forwards with her so she gets it for me!!

Gav

Hi Gav -

Thank you very much for verbalizing the reasons I also had in mind when I voted for our beloved QE2.  Cunard did indeed break the "liner mould" with QE2 and I do not believe there will ever be another ship unique in all ways as is our QE2.

June
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !