Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Michael Fortune, QE2 Queens Grill Steward 1973-1983  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Michael

Michael Fortune, QE2 Queens Grill Steward 1973-1983
« on: May 16, 2011, 12:06 AM »
Hi all my name is Michael Fortune and I was on board 1973 to 1983! I recently came across this site after watching BBC South and seeing the QE2 on our screens again, and that surprise footage on board which looked really spooky with no passengers!!!!
I have been reading other posts and remember Ron Pitcher---the lord! I worked up with him from the Columbia into the Queens Grill
Does anyone remember Kevin Savage his dad was a Head waiter? And do they know where Kevin is now? Think he lived on the Millbrook estate in S'hampton. Some guys may recall I used to do the crew disco in the hatch, many a good night was had there! I still have my record collection!!!! Bet worth a few bob now! I was also involved in the QE2 photographic club and Keith Tunstall ran it along with Dave Barker.The japonese produced a book with many of our photos in and was presented to us on the 1979 world cruise and I still have it! Keith was best man at my wedding and he also married a dancer Rose, some may remember her?
Both Keith and me have ended up working with the police!!!! Keith is in the "Met" and I'm civilian staff with Thames Valley.
Hope to catch up with you guys soon
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014, 07:46 PM by Alan Snelson »

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Just to say Hi to all, ex Queens Grill steward
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Hello Michael

Welcome to the QE2 Story and glad to hear that Rob's appearance on BBC South is generating new members for the forum.  

It is always good to hear former crew member's stories as it gives another insight into life onboard the QE2.  Ten years onboard QE2 was a big part of your life so you must have many memories to share.

Hope you enjoy being a member of the forum and enjoy reading the forum members' memories of the ship which contributes to extensive information about this famous lady.  
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:01 PM »
Hello Michael -- welcome aboard the QE2Story Forum!

Looking forward to reading some more of your memories of that crew life which, to many of us, remained a mystery taking place behind those closed doors that led into another world...

As a member of the QE2 phoptographic club, you may have taken many interesting pictures of the time you were on board. Were they mostly QE2 (ship, crew, ports) related? If so, I hope that you might share some of them with us.  :D

Offline Ivan Smith

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:58 AM »
Hi- I worked with Ron Pitcher from 83 to 89. He was a trip! He loved his "pink gin" great times and great people!

lewisstone

Re: Just to say Hi to all, ex Queens Grill steward Michael Fortune
« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2013, 09:20 AM »
Hi Michael
Been reading your post, wow, do you remember the film that Keith and I made for the 1977 world cruise, I still keep in touch with Keith in fact he was best man at My wedding a few years ago,
Regards Lew

Offline Mona Robrish

Re: Michael Fortune, QE2 Queens Grill Steward 1973-1983
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2020, 11:56 PM »
Hi Michael,
You won't remember me, but my name is Mona Robrish (originally from Boston, MA), and we met when I first came onboard the QE2 in 1974. We became friends and I remember those times with fondness. I was looking at some old pix of my times on the QE2, and there you were! It made me wonder whatever happened to you. I plugged in your name in the Internet, and never expected to find a message you had posted on this Forum several years ago. Boy, was I surprised - the wonders of technology! I see that you are married and that you work for the Police Force. Nice! Not sure how badly Covid 19 has affected you in England, but here in the states it's been a mess. I hope you and your family are all well. Stay safe and take care! With warm regards, Mona

Offline Vincent Scriven

• The Good Times
  • QE2 Crew member
  • Lido Diner
  • My Dear Brother Tony Spec Cook
Re: Michael Fortune, QE2 Queens Grill Steward 1973-1983
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2020, 02:17 PM »
Hi Mick I was in the Grill from 84/89 Pantryman I am still trying to get to a Scanner to post some pics I have hundreds I have a Fan which the Japonise made I have Number 9.678 million but no certificate and I do miss the Qe2 and I have been every were since only just Officialy retired