Author Topic: QE2's two maiden voyages - 42 Years to the Day and 24 years to the day!  (Read 4034 times)

Youngesteverpassenger

So who was there!
 :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:09 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Bob C.

Re: 42 Years to the Day!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Not there that day but I was 3 months and 12 days later.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:52 PM »
Not quite her Maiden Voyage in 69.. but the Maiden Voyage of the NEW QE2 in 1987 24 years today enroute to NY.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Youngesteverpassenger

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:45 AM »
Not quite her Maiden Voyage in 69.. but the Maiden Voyage of the NEW QE2 in 1987 24 years today enroute to NY.

I am not too sure what you mean? The passenger list says its the Maiden Voyage and in 1969! My father was on board following acceptance trials earlier that year.

Offline Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:33 PM »
He's saying he wasn't on the 1969 maiden voyage but that he was on the post re-engining maiden voyage.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:37 PM »
I am not too sure what you mean?   
After the 1986/87 refit. Her first round trip sailing to New York was billed as the Maiden Voyage of the NEW  QE2.

< broken image link removed>
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2022, 05:24 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 12:42 PM »
The Daily Express newspaper ran a feature last year about several people who were on her Maiden Voyage in 69
A friend from Caithness was interviewed.

Youngesteverpassenger

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 05:59 PM »
After the 1986/87 refit. Her first round trip sailing to New York was billed as the Maiden Voyage of the NEW  QE2.

Oh, now i understand what you were saying!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:37 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

So who was there!
 :D

Please tell! I wonder do we recognise any of the names...

Youngesteverpassenger

All very confusing - 'not quite her Maiden Voyage'? Maiden Voyage was may 2 1969. I wonder if there is some confusion with the Preview Cruise on 22 April 1969.

I am excluding Sea Trials December 1968 and the earlier round of 'Acceptance Trials' and 'Technical Trials'.

I'll post the Passenger List for the Preview Cruise and if anyone would like the inside pages of either list, do let me know, or these may of course already be out there.

Lisa

Offline Mel Cannon

Thanks Lynda and Isabel for your very kind help!
I would love to know if my birth mother (we never met, as I was adopted 5 years after my birth) ‘Joanne Lynch’ was on the QE2’s Madian Voyage to NYC.
Joann was a fashion model from Ireland, and she modelled on the ship.
I am not sure if she was listed as Entertainment, Crew, Staff or simply as a Passenger.
I did see somewhere that there were 4 Crew from Ireland.
While Joanne lived in Dublin, she was originally from Moyvane in North Kerry, and
Would have been 24 years old at the time.
Any information on Joanne or any of the models then, would be greatly appreciated.
Please also see the attached Irish Newspaper clippings on Joanne.
Thanks,
Mel
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 07:48 PM by Mel Cannon »

Online Lynda Bradford

Thanks for posting the photo, newspaper cutting and your story. 

The passenger list has been checked but unfortunately your Mum's name is not listed.  It would be good if there was a crew member on the forum, who has a list of crew on the Maiden Voyage.

As the Cunarder collection was unveiled in March, perhaps we can find more information about the models on this voyage. 

The collection was originally to have been unveiled at a fashion presentation on board QE2 in Southampton before her January Maiden Voyage and in New York at the end of that voyage but the cancellation of the Maiden Season saw it launched in QE2 in Southampton in March 1969.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1471
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 2722
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody