Author Topic: The garbage hatch behind the CUNARD lettering  (Read 12331 times)

Offline Michael Gallagher

The garbage hatch behind the CUNARD lettering
« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2010, 02:23 PM »
The Cunard signs on each side of the superstructure were moved forward in the 1994 refit to accommodate the Cunard lion rampant above it (in place 1994 - 1996) and the speedstripe (in place 1994 - 1999) so the 'C' would not have had the door in it from 1994.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2010, 02:45 PM »
I think Rosie posted somehting on the patched look of the STBD side "C" in Cunard.  This was the reason - the "C" was on the galley garbage hatch.  My sister and I used to enjoy watching the plastic bags fall in to the sea usually after dinner - before the evening's entertainment in the Double Room.

Great photo! 

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #17 on: Aug 24, 2010, 05:16 PM »
This was the starboard side C on 20 September 2008 :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3350211166/

I wonder whether the letter had been replaced or invisibly mended? You would otherwise expect to see some signs of the cut that was there in Myles's photo, even though the whole letter had meanwhile been shifted to a new place...

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #18 on: Aug 24, 2010, 06:07 PM »
If you look at the letter C This was from October 1988

The 'marks' in Myles' photograph on the white paint beneath the 'C' show where the trash 'flew' past!

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2010, 06:19 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2011, 02:53 PM »
The necessary byproduct of all that scrumptious food prepared in this and the Upper Deck galleys is garbage.  Before the environmnetal measures of today where very little, if any, trash and garbage is disposed of overboard, it was ALL disposed of overboard, most in plastic bags. 

This below link shows some 1981 photos of QE2 over a trans-Atlantic voyage from Cherbourg to New york and a few external shots of QE2's STBD side where the galley waste was heaved overboard from a hatch in the "C" in the red CUNARD.  The "CUNARD" at this time was set further aft than it was just before it was removed by Nakeel. 

Photo number Q4V011 shows a close-up of the hatch and the nasty streaks of garbage drippings on her white superstructure paint.  Q4V013, 29, 30, 31, 33 and 34 show other angles of the streaks from the drippings running down and aft from the hatch (blown aft by the wind). 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/flagshipqm2/sets/72157626099102205/with/5509044846/

Not the most glamorous attribute of this luxury liner but that's the way things were done back then.  I believe thre is/was a hatch in the same location on the port side as well (would have been in the "D" though).
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 02:57 PM by Bob C. »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2011, 03:03 PM »
The necessary byproduct of all that scrumptious food prepared in this and the Upper Deck galleys is garbage.  Before the environmnetal measures of today where very little, if any, trash and garbage is disposed of overboard, it was ALL disposed of overboard, most in plastic bags. 

This below link shows some 1981 photos of QE2 over a trans-Atlantic voyage from Cherbourg to New york and a few external shots of QE2's STBD side where the galley waste was heaved overboard from a hatch in the "C" in the red CUNARD.  The "CUNARD" at this time was set further aft than it was just before it was removed by Nakeel. 

Photo number Q4V011 shows a close-up of the hatch and the nasty streaks of garbage drippings on her white superstructure paint.  Q4V013, 29, 30, 31, 33 and 34 show other angles of the streaks from the drippings running down and aft from the hatch (blown aft by the wind). 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/flagshipqm2/sets/72157626099102205/with/5509044846/

Not the most glamorous attribute of this luxury liner but that's the way things were done back then.  I believe thre is/was a hatch in the same location on the port side as well (would have been in the "D" though).

Great stuff Bob!  Does anyone know if the hatch, or signs of it, are still there?  Presumably there is at least a patch where it was?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #21 on: Apr 21, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Great stuff Bob!  Does anyone know if the hatch, or signs of it, are still there?  Presumably there is at least a patch where it was?

Rob,  I legally downloaded this photo from freefoto.com (link is below) which shows a welded over hatch where the "C" used to be.  The original location of the "C" was underneath the forward window in the first set of four windows (fore to aft).  After the removal of the Lookout Bar her Upper Deck windows on both sides start with a group of two followed by a group of four on both sides going from fore to aft.  Looks like at some point the first set of two were also blanked over. In any case, the welded plate over the old garbage hatch can just be made out in the photo. 

For reference, see the 1981 pictures where you will see the "C" under the forward window and a port hole that has since been blanked over (permanent deadlight?) under the most aft window in that set of four.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.freefoto.com/images/2026/32/2026_32_77---QE2-Queen-Elizabeth-2-the-flagship-of-the-Cunard-Line-_web.jpg%3F%26k%3DQE2%2BQueen%2BElizabeth%2B2%2Bthe%2Bflagship%2Bof%2Bthe%2BCunard%2BLine.&imgrefurl=http://www.freefoto.com/preview/2026-32-77/QE2-Queen-Elizabeth-2-the-flagship-of-the-Cunard-Line-&usg=__AOx_CnolEMC2GzpqN1MdcDiOfhc=&h=600&w=400&sz=80&hl=en&start=35&zoom=0&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=uoZ0FtxgkdyCLM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=90&prev=/search%3Fq%3DQE2%2BCUNARD%26start%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D20%26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D850%26tbm%3Disch&ei=Fj-wTeyjIcP1gAeYxan_Cw
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 03:46 PM by Bob C. »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 21, 2011, 09:44 PM »
Found one of my photos showing the garbage hatch in the port side.  The hatch is much further forward than the one in the starboard side; in fact it is forward of the original position of the CUNARD (look between the "C" and the porthole just forward of it).  I very much assume that this hatch was plated over as the CUNARD was on top this hatch once it was moved forward. 

Isabelle has some close up photos of the CUNARD letters on this side.  I'll look for evidence of the old hatch and post here.
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 09:47 PM by Bob C. »

Offline Bob C.

« Reply #23 on: Apr 21, 2011, 09:59 PM »
That was easier than I thought.  Below is the link to the later position of the CUNARD.  From what I can tell, the position of the port garbage hatch was directly below the 4th (aft) wardroom window beneath the flying bridge.  That puts the old hatch about where the "U" is in its later position.

By the looks of it, there has been a lot of cutting, patching and plating over the years in that area so the original hatch and surrounding aluminum frame are most likely long gone.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prondis_in_kenya/3350222776/sizes/o/in/photostream/
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2011, 10:18 PM by Bob C. »

Online cunardqueen

Re: The garbage hatch behind the CUNARD lettering
« Reply #24 on: Apr 26, 2011, 02:40 PM »
You would think with all the calls into NY or Southampton, there would be hundreds of photos of the hatch  :D
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline peter ward

« Reply #25 on: Apr 26, 2011, 07:24 PM »
the hatch on the starboard side WAS in the britannia kitchen prep area , the kitchen porters used to keep it open when in hot climes  and it provided a welcome breeze into an otherwise stuffy kitchen and hot restaurant ..seen many a chef with his head out the hatch when docking in southampton .
peter

Offline Rod

« Reply #26 on: Jul 29, 2011, 01:25 AM »
If you look at the letter C This was from October 1988

That is the only garbage hatch. That was in use from 1971-1989. Columbia kitchen. They had a garbage room with 4 garbage compactors, They were only allowed to dump at night as people seemed to object to seeing cardboard boxes going past their portholes.
Around, I want to say 1980 they Installed a shredder on 2 deck aft. I chewed ANYTHING and compacted it and fed it into plastic sausage skine,
Wasn't really policed and I was frequentlu called up ther to dispose of a 30' "sausage" of garbage spewing over the baggage room on 2 deck aft. Then I would have to clear the garbage that had dried in the shredder.
I had some great jobs on QE2
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2017, 12:48 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rod

« Reply #27 on: Jul 29, 2011, 01:32 AM »
On the port side for a while though at the forward end of the Brit Kit there was a hatch.Next to the potato peeling area  and pot wash area. Same problem...people saw the garbage as they were eating. It was sealed in 1972 i believe.

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #28 on: Aug 17, 2011, 08:54 PM »
Images taken in 1987...

Offline peter ward

« Reply #29 on: Oct 25, 2011, 08:51 AM »
time definitely plays tricks on your memory ....I would have betted the hatch was in the brit ,but now I remember a stairway from the brit kitchen to the columbia we used to use to get to the crew mess ....and yes the hatch  was starboard side of the columbia ...must be getting old timers desease !!
peter

Movietone Video: Xmas Deadline For Cunard's Queen

Started by CAPBoard QE2 build film footage/videos

Replies: 4
Views: 2564
Last post Aug 08, 2013, 09:16 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Cunard ships in Greenock 2021

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 8
Views: 2311
Last post Aug 08, 2021, 06:48 PM
by Pete Hamill
Cunard captain autobiographies

Started by OliviaBoard Cunard

Replies: 18
Views: 4106
Last post Dec 26, 2019, 03:47 PM
by June Ingram
Who owned QE2 the Cunard ship?

Started by TwynkleBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 3
Views: 1971
Last post Jan 21, 2015, 10:21 AM
by CAP
Memories of Liverpool and Cunard 2015

Started by shipnshoreBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 4
Views: 2031
Last post Feb 08, 2017, 01:48 PM
by shipnshore