Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Were cabins ever flooded while at sea? If so, what happened?  (Read 7252 times)

Offline Janice Naylor

I recently read of a QE2 cabin that was flooded while at sea.  Turns out the flood was caused by a leaking pipe but it got me wondering if anyone knew of stories about sea water coming on board uninvited or had a water-related experience.  

Janice
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2011, 07:01 PM by Janice Naylor »
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Online cunardqueen

Re: Were cabins ever flooded while at sea? If so, what happened?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2011, 07:11 PM »
You should have been on the Maiden Voyage after the refit in 1987,the calls of Niagara,Niagara were forever being called out. While my cabin didnt suffer a flood, l had no cold water in the sink, and was forced to  shave using bottled water ;) (l do still dine out on that story!!) It was something of a surprise to return to the cabin and find some work men in my bathroom.

Somewhere l should have some pics of the kids nursery with some leaking water.

But then if you consider what QE2 underwent, a few floods were the least we could expect. :D
In recent times there seemed to be more floods, but as ever they were handled very quickly and unless you were in the area at the time you would never know what had happened.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2011, 07:34 PM »
The workmen trying to sort my pipes out ;)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2011, 07:37 PM »

It wasn't a cabin
(April 1987)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2011, 07:51 PM »
The Childrens Playroom, You can just make out the water dripping down
April 1987

Pat Curry

« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2011, 01:10 PM »
I recently read of a QE2 cabin that was flooded while at sea.  Turns out the flood was caused by a leaking pipe but it got me wondering if anyone knew of stories about sea water coming on board uninvited or had a water-related experience.  

Janice

Didn't one and two decks take on vast amounts of sea water following a giant wave? 

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2011, 05:59 PM »
Yes it did happen that passenger cabins get flooded at sea those passengers have to move cabin not a problem.I once had my crew cabin flooded i spent 3 nights in a passenger cabin on 3 deck.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2011, 08:23 PM »
Our first few hours were spent trying to console my upset mother, because we had no cabin to go to because ours was underwater (5 deck - the water looked quite deep when you looked down the stairwell...).  I can clearly remember my tired Mum in floods of tears at the piano in the midships bar...

Rob, this sounds like extremely serious flooding! Can you say some more about how "underwater" 5 Deck was?

I have a mental picture which I surely hope must be wrong  :o  !

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2011, 09:56 PM »
5 deck what l remember, was in a bit of a state . l took a little walk down there late one night, video camera in hand and was quite happily filming, there seemed to be a lot of laying of carpets, While filming some guy walks along and asks "Say guy you think you can turn it off", l did for  few moments till he was away and resumed afterwards, it was only long afterwards l realised who he was Mike Novak, he was in charge of the refit project.
 On a side note when we reached NY l was offered money by a news agency when they knew l had some refit footage, As for selling footage of my ship, good lord no it was a personal recollection, and my view was no one should see just how unready QE2 was, other than those of us onboard. The agency thought l was mad.. 

Offline No 736

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2011, 11:06 PM »
I remember, floods of tears when she left the Clyde for the last time!
Steve S.

Offline Rod

« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2012, 01:21 AM »
Please remember guys and gals. "Floods" depends on your definition, are commonplace. In your house, the walls and pipes do not move. At sea.. EVERYTHING moves and this creates problems of its own. ADD to it , if the ship has been "DEAD", no water, in drydock for a week or three, it takes time for these problems to come out.
Fix a leak, that increases the preasure,,,causes another leak etc etc
The only answer would be would be to put the water on and wait about a WEEK! fixing leaks, While the ship,lies idle. Then you get pax coming on board, finding more leaks....best answer is to forget the week and get the pax on board finding the leaks.....makes for some embarrasing exaggerated video but....thats life.
Oh I might add, in my 20 years, only one flood was caused by water coming from outside. That was a crack in the superstructure.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2012, 01:23 AM by Rod »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2012, 02:04 PM »
Superstructure crack?  Do tell us more, please.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2012, 07:12 PM »
Superstructure crack?  Do tell us more, please.

It's only a question of which of the many!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Rod

« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2012, 11:04 PM »
It's only a question of which of the many!

LIKE!!!!!

Offline Rod

« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2012, 11:12 PM »
Peter, The superstructure being made of aluminium, or aluminum for our US readers, tended to flex rather alot in heavy seas. Aluminium does not like to flex and tends to crack. Rather like the portholes around the new Comet airliner....if you dont remember that google it..... Sometimes the ship would develop cracks, these would let in spray and rain. We would temporarily patch them with flexible tape until the next drydock.
That is one of the reasons that all the doors in the Ally superstructure had rounded corners. Also why in some of the pics of the outside from Q deck and above you see heavy plates welded onto the side. Look at some pics of the garbage doors on stbd side Columbia Kitchen.

Offline peter ward

« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2012, 11:40 PM »
I came down to my cabin after serving lunch ,mid atlantic in a force 8 to find my cabin which was four deck forward (right under the crew pig and anchor locker) cabin 404..with about two inches of water .a lot of my tapes were floating about in the water and there was a big crack in the port hole glass .
I immediately put the deadlight down and fastened it tight , and reported it to the chief steward ...took me ages to dry out my cabin ..only the passengers got new carpets !! the glass wasn't replaced till the next lay up .
peter

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2012, 11:43 PM »
Rod - I was aware of the fatigue to the superstructure; I never knew until tonight, though, that the cracks could open up so much so suddenly that they could flood a cabin like that!
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rod

« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2012, 12:51 AM »
The workmen trying to sort my pipes out ;)
(Image removed from quote.)

BTW. The"workmen" there where trying to sort out an A/C plumbing problem  not a plumbing, plumbing problem.

Offline Rod

« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2012, 12:55 AM »
I came down to my cabin after serving lunch ,mid atlantic in a force 8 to find my cabin which was four deck forward (right under the crew pig and anchor locker) cabin 404..with about two inches of water .a lot of my tapes were floating about in the water and there was a big crack in the port hole glass .
I immediately put the deadlight down and fastened it tight , and reported it to the chief steward ...took me ages to dry out my cabin ..only the passengers got new carpets !! the glass wasn't replaced till the next lay up .

If I recall correctly, deadlight should have been secured during a N/A anyway. Chances are your glass got hit by a bit of floating debris.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2012, 12:47 PM »

Wow Peter cabin 404 too that was my beloved cabin.

If I recall correctly, deadlight should have been secured during a N/A anyway. Chances are your glass got hit by a bit of floating debris.

Not really Rod i lived in that cabin too and others on the forward section and sometimes the deadlights were open on crossings.But on a Force 8 and if a heavy weather warning was given out from the Bridge they should be closed.

Cavalcade of Cabins

Started by Stowaway2kBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 42
Views: 11740
the HOT floor cabins

Started by Cruise_PrincessBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 4
Views: 1262
SS Rotterdam cabins

Started by mgmikeBoard SS Rotterdam

Replies: 3
Views: 1740
Poll for the June Photo of the Month Competition QE2 and her Cabins

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Archived Topics (older calendars)

Replies: 20
Views: 2637
Cabins for servants

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Passenger Areas

Replies: 14
Views: 2942
Pricing and the QE2 cabins

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 9
Views: 1812