Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Photos Taken by Ship's Staff Photographers  (Read 1966 times)

Online cunardqueen

Photos Taken by Ship's Staff Photographers
« on: Apr 12, 2011, 01:30 PM »
  They may be relying on the on board spending to make up the difference? 

If its anything like a couple l met onboard years ago, their only expense was a glass of wine with their dinner, even that they thought was expensive, Me being me enquired surely they bought a photo taken during formal night, again their reply was No they are much to expensive, they didnt pay for any excursions, and semed quite happy not to pay for any extras. Not that they were tight, they just wanted a cruise and didnt want any onboard expense.

I used to always tell people Oh cruising is such good value all you pay for is drinks tips souvenirs and excursions.... ;) even then when the account is delivered its still a shock, mindyou l always chocked on the $3 for bottled water,so perhaps lm as bad..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2011, 06:45 PM »
If its anything like a couple l met onboard years ago, their only expense was a glass of wine with their dinner, even that they thought was expensive, Me being me enquired surely they bought a photo taken during formal night, again their reply was No they are much to expensive, they didnt pay for any excursions, and semed quite happy not to pay for any extras. Not that they were tight, they just wanted a cruise and didnt want any onboard expense.

I guess the couple who didn't splurge on a photo of their formal night on QM2 never learned you could wait until the photo display was unmanned and just help yourself to it, did they?  Of course you have to discover exactly where it is in those wall displays ahead of time, but not difficult. ....did I really mean to give away that secret?  Seriously, no one will waste the time to stop you.  Now drinks, that's another story...
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2011, 07:24 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2011, 07:28 PM »
I guess the couple who didn't splurge on a photo of their formal night on QM2 never learned you could wait until the photo display was unmanned and just help yourself to it, did they?  Of course you have to discover exactly where it is in those wall displays ahead of time, but not difficult. ....did I really mean to give away that secret?  Seriously, no one will waste the time to stop you.  Now drinks, that's another story...

I think most people would simply call that theft! 

However I had a more cunning way to acquire the photo at zero expense - i took a photo of it, on the rack :)  We did, however, buy 3, I think, the other 2 weren't so good, so i took photos of them.  I presume the photographers were on some sort of commission to encourage them to take lots of good photos and they are indeed the only good photos I have of me and Mum together from the past 10 years.  I think people enjoyed getting their photos taken, and their willingness to pay for them was an acknowledgement of the quality of the work.

I'm going off topic myself now - and this should be in the photographer topic - but when were these photos introduced or are they a Cunard thing from pre-QE2?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Jeff Taylor

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2011, 11:28 PM »
Thieft yes, but you'd be amazed how the value of those photos depreciates once the passengers in them leave the ship!  I remember when a group of 50 or so of us had a "private" dinner with Commodore Warwick at which a photo was taken.  Naturally, we all put in orders for copies and I was shocked to find a charge for $38 on the bill.  I guess they can afford to lose a few now and then.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2011, 01:10 AM »
Gosh l never imagined anyone would actually steal the photos. :o What amused me and on every voyage it happened you would be browsing the photo gallery, and you always heard someone saying that the photos were to expensive and they wouldnt buy one, Yet the same people had forked out for a QE2 cruise and would skimp out on buying a photo.

Ok not just a photo, but a formal portrait photo taken against a stunning backdrop (except that dreaded Titanic staircase which l always hated!!),your all dressed up and positively sparkling with radiance onboard the best ship in the world, the photographer is all poised to flash his stuff, he calls you forward onto the cross on the mat, adjusts his lens and as he sets the focus the QE2 smile goes on and before you know it, flash a picture is taken, and as your about to move off he says that imortal phrase "Oh just one more" and as your repositioned the flash goes off again, and as lm nearly blinded by it and stagger off and check my zip is up and prey my nose isnt shiny and hope the pics turn out ok.
Over the years Iv bought each and every photo and lots of the stock photo views, the photo albums and wooden photo frames, been given a few pics on the house and cursed the weight of them all in the luggage, and never gave the price any thought, well l never thought l would be back for a cruise the next time so every time really was the last time l imagined ::)
But as its confession time here goes and do forgive me, But as a solo traveller the embarkation ones were always the most important ones, l checked out the solo males and the same sex couples for like minded passengers and with such information cupid could come into play...
 Then there was the time a number of years ago l spied a portrait photo of the most stunningly beautiful sight l ever set my eyes upon and actually bought that photo, made the excuse when l paid for it l; was giving him it as a gift, he was one of the solo guys at embarkation, as chance would have it we met up on the last FOD gathering, My cupid went into overdrive and all the charm and wit paid off, and my heart did skip a few beats, a rendezvous was set for later that night, and to cut the story we parted in the small hours to pack our cases, l missed out on the midnight buffet and never exchanged any details....and l never told him l had his photo
Anyway... as some say Its only a photo and they might be expensive, But boy those memories  :-X and lm of topic   

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2011, 01:15 AM »
Aww, Myles, thank you for sharing such a wee a gem of a story from the magic that was liberally sparkled over 4 decades on board the greatest ship in the world.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2011, 01:41 AM »
l still cant believe l missed out on the midnight buffet :-[ :-[

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Photos Taken by Ship's Staff Photographers
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2011, 06:40 AM »
Strange, Myles, that you come up with this story right now...

I had just been considering asking whether anyone else (like me) ever bought a photo of a person unknown? Just because the person was so good-looking and the photo so good?

I did, a few years ago -- indeed, they were two photos. Two Japanese people in their formal Japanese dress -- a lady and a gentleman -- both in most beautiful kimono. In Japan nowadays, ladies can sometimes be seen in kimono, for a special occasion -- but gentlemen very rarely indeed, maybe just for their own wedding. I had chatted briefly to the lady one day and knew who she was -- but the gentleman, I did not know. Nor did I ever find out... in Western clothes, he probably looked only half as glamorous!

There were other photos of the two -- so I hope they never missed the ones I bought...  :-[

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2011, 10:30 AM »

I had just been considering asking whether anyone else (like me) ever bought a photo of a person unknown? Just because the person was so good-looking and the photo so good?
:-[

Now that explains why there is never any good photos of me left to buy.  They have been bought by my admirers!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2020, 08:57 PM »
We always enjoyed the photos taken by the ship's photographers. After all, we do not often get the chance to wear our evening dresses, and it was great to have the souvenir.

But we also got to joke with the photographers. I remember a time we wanted the large floral arrangement in front of the Caronia Restaurant to be on the photo with us and insisted -- until the photographer told us that, with the pose we were adopting, it would look as though the bird of paradise flower was poking us in the nose!

Here is my favourite :

Captain's reception
by Isabelle Prondzynski, on Flickr

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2020, 10:08 PM »
   Here is my favourite : 

I can say as someone who takes rather a lot of holiday photos its always unnerving when you hand the camera over to take a pic , and they do take just one pic and in the old days you preyed it would develop ok

Now with the advent of memory sticks you can go into David Bailey mode. On the Melody in 2005 a group of us Brits were on deck dressed formally prior to Dinner and there was a young couple taking a selfie, l went over and offered to take a photo, they said it was their Honeymoon, so l said , let me take a few more, they agreed, so l dragged them over to the lifering and started shooting away, this pose that pose , right a bit left a bit, then l got the lifering out of its holder and got them posing with that , this way and that way by the time l had finished some 20 photos later l said , l did have one more idea for a photo just simply of them walking along the deck hand in hand and would they like one of that, the wife eagerly agreed so off we went on photoshoot number 2 got some pics of them from the front and behind , this way that way, got him to put his jacket over his wifes shoulders . and by the time we had finished some 40 photos later l said to them, That every photo taken will be simply beautiful,and did they know why that would be the case , Because the camera only takes what it sees !  Yes i know it sounds corny, But its so true.

Isabelle l may l say that is a beautiful photo ! 

Online Tony

• QE2 Crew member
  • Lido Diner
  • Photog, 1976 and 1987
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2020, 02:43 AM »
In the early days the pictures had to be put up and taken down when opening and closing up. I think it was the post 87 refit where we had the ability to lock them away. Very few were stolen, I mean, it's not cricket to do so.

« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2020, 07:53 AM »
Great to read Alan Snelson's QE2 story and the life of a QE2 photographer who started on board only 10 years after QE2 entered service!

https://www.theqe2story.com/Stories/alan_snelson.html

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2020, 07:57 PM »
I always enjoyed my daily battles when in port with the Phots, them trying to get their quota of Gangway shots, and me trying to keep the gangway clear to enable the passengers to get ashore for their tours and the Tour Manager bending my ear that his buses were going to be late getting away for their tours!

Funnily,I was always under the impression that that was what passengers were on the ship for, to visit "far away places with strange sounding names"!