Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Cherbourg Channel Hops 1986  (Read 1299 times)

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Cherbourg Channel Hops 1986
« on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:57 PM »
This may be of great interest; it is the back part of a letter dating from 1986 in which I enquired about doing a simple "hop" across the Channel to Cherbourg from Southampton, disembarking there and returning straight away to the UK.

Note that the price of doing this was the same as the price of going all the way to New York - starting at £665!

Presumably that was a deterrent price and was designed to protect them against having an empty berth for the Atlantic crossing since anyone doing the Channel Hop would count towards the vessel capacity and they could not guarantee filling the resultant space from Cherbourg onwards?

I am also guessing that the £665 was not inclusive of the Sealink crossing back to the UK and would have been higher if all the lower priced Atlantic berths had sold out at the time of booking?
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2011, 12:00 AM by Peter Mugridge »
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

Re: Cherbourg Channel Hops 1986
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2011, 10:33 AM »
Peter,
 I remember seeing this as part of the sealink brochure, and even then at the time the price to me seemed rather expensive just for a short hop across the channel, But they included the return trip as well, But lm sure they had some excursions in 1985..and the advert was in full colour..
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!