Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Once in a lifetime---but only after retirement...  (Read 1324 times)

R. Sutton

Once in a lifetime---but only after retirement...
« on: Apr 05, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Early in 1983, my wife and I made what was eventually one of the major decisions of our lives  and that was that we would cruise on the QE2.   Enquiries indicated that we could within a reasonable budget join QE2 at Long Beach, USA and cruise for 91 days returning to Long Beach.  We booked but time was short and we had little time to study in detail the routeing of the cruise.   Of course we did study it eventually and were so  excited from that moment on.

Our first port of call was the first visit of QE2 to San Francisco. Where we sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge to be greeted in the customary way for a maiden visit by numerous tugs etc. spraying jets of water into the air.  We thrilled to the constant excitement and events as we familiarised ourselves with all the facilities available to us this because this was our maiden cruise so there was a lot to find out and do.  After a number of port calls, including a maiden visit to Brisbane, Australia, the population of which treated us to pomp and circumstance on a grand scale, we arrived in Hong Kong, and discovered that QE2 was going to stay there for repainting, while we had the possibility to visit China and rejoin her  5 days later in a Chinese port farther north.

Our memories are ever lasting and we'd be really happy if any one else recalls being on that long cruise, or joined at
any part of it.  We look forward to hearing from  anyone,  possibly one or more of the many friends we made during those wonderful 91 days.

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2011, 11:27 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Lynda Bradford

Re: Once in a lifetime---but only after retirement...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

What a wonderful story and one that obviously has amazing memories for you.  I do hope that someone on the forum remembers that cruise so as to share memories with you. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Hi Curly - Welcome to the Forum!  Your QE2 experience sounds absolutely wonderful and I look forward to hearing more about it as time goes by.  I hope you do reconnect with passengers who were on the QE2 at the same time as you and your wife.  A few words of encouragement along those lines ... I met a man on this Forum who was on the same Scandinavian Cruise as I was back in 1978!

Janice
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2011, 11:18 PM »
Sounds like you should post a photo - and a name - and then maybe we can find you some of your former ship-mates!

Welcome aboard!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2011, 07:40 PM »
WOW , Imagine booking only one QE2 cruise, and its the World Cruise !!!!
Would be great to hear your thoughts of such a journey.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!