Author Topic: Saving the QE2 acronym for the ship - should we defend it?  (Read 798 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Hi,

Regardless of the specific reasons (discussed elsewhere at length), as we all know, QE2 had Queen Elizabeth 2 emblazoned on her bow.  The use of the arabic 2 was highly unusual at the time.

The correct way to refer to the Monarch, is Queen Elizabeth the second / Queen Elizabeth II.  On buildings named after her, you'll see it written correctly.  Bridges, hospitals, roads, all sorts of things have been named after the Queen.

Therefore everything named after the monarch should be referred to a QEII not QE2.

Should we be correcting people who refer to these objects as QE2?  I have been doing this, especially on twitter.  I think it also serves to raise awareness of the ship.

The only thing in recent times I've seen that is just about OK to shorten to QE2, is when they talk of a second round of Quantitative Easing!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Saving the QE2 acronym for the ship - should we defend it?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2016, 07:54 PM »
Hi Rob -

You have made some very good points.  Just as The Queen is Queen Elizabeth the Second or Queen Elizabeth II, our ship Queen Elizabeth 2 is QE2 and there is no other QE2. 

Corrections are in order.

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline pete cain

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:22 PM »
There is only 1 QE2, never be another, defend it to the hilts Rob, recon June got it right, let's not forget the whole reason d'etre for this foum     THE QE2 STORY,     which is ongoing &  the last chapter has yet to be written.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:36 PM »
I agree.  Rob - carry on correcting.

( That sounds like a film about a bunch of delinquent proofreaders doesn't it?!  ;D )
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2016, 03:33 PM »
Yes - in every way, defend the name, as well as her legendary staus
No pressure there, Rob!
I try as hard as I can, too - usually "behind the scenes"

I'm unsure as to where this link needs to be posted - sorry to cause extra work
http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/77191670/can-the-historic-queen-elizabeth-2-cruise-ship-be-saved

Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2016, 05:41 PM »
Rob

We should absolutely correct people - and never apologise for doing so. The other day I got blank expressions when I told a group of people "The Queen Elizabeth Two used to berth at the Queen Elizabeth the Second Terminal".

I raised the issue in my 175 book:

There had been much speculation about what name the Q4 would be given. Cunard had privately decided to name her the Queen Elizabeth but the addition by The Queen of “the Second” caused uproar in Scotland where she is the first Queen Elizabeth there. To diffuse the argument Cunard announced that the new ship would be known as the Queen Elizabeth 2 (Queen Elizabeth Two) and not the Elizabeth II (Queen Elizabeth the Second) and that she was merely the second ship to be called the Queen Elizabeth. An unusual argument for Cunard given the second Mauretania or the second Laconia had not been named as such. The QE2, as she became universally known, would always cause debate over the exact origins of her name throughout her life. The use of 2 was obvious whenever the QE2 was berthed alongside the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal in Southampton - she was 'named' after the first Queen Elizabeth ship while the Terminal was named after The Queen. Even today lazy radio presenters or journalists talk about traffic congestion on the QE2 Bridge at Dartford which is incorrect - they should announce traffic congestion on the Queen Elizabeth the Second Bridge as the Bridge is named after The Queen. The same mis-naming applies as well today to that Terminal, the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre or the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in London.

Michael

Saving QE2

Started by Alan PiattBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 9
Views: 1742
Last post Jan 05, 2016, 11:16 PM
by Rob Lightbody