Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Live from Queen Elizabeth.  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Chris Frame

Live from Queen Elizabeth.
« on: Feb 25, 2011, 05:01 AM »
Hello from aboard QE.

We are finding her quite familiar having been aboard QV.

Many many reminders of QE2 including the bell, builders plate, silver model and the bust of HM.

It's quite strange to stand here looking at these iconic items knowing when I last stood looking at them I was aboard QE2 in September 2008.

Already bumped into many QE2 fans as well as a fellow TQS member BSwan (Brogan).

More will come if I get Internet access otherwise a full report upon my return.

All the best.

Chris.

Offline Chris Frame

Re: Live from Queen Elizabeth.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:43 AM »
A quick hello from aboard Queen Elizabeth.

First lecture 'Cunard's Early Years' went well. The Royal Court Theatre is a superb venue to talk in and the decor is an improvement from Queen Victoria's. Was interrupted at 12:40 by the Captain's noon report (it was running late) but never the less the audience seemed to enjoy the talk!

The book store aboard Queen Elizabeth has been relocated when compared to Queen Victoria. Much better location and the book signing went well.

We've spent a good deal of time speaking to QE2's Thomas. Sadly he doesn't do a heritage trail talk here however he did sit in on my lecture.

We've taken nearly 1,000 photographs so far - not bad since we've only been aboard for 28 hours. Again, she's very familiar. She seems to have her own personality and character and creeks (rather than squeaks). Our room is on Deck 1 (1006) - quite a bit of movement down here today as we make our way through the Bight.

Tomorrow's lecture is "Cunard's First Queens" so hopefully another good turn out.

Chris.

Pat Curry

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2011, 05:55 PM »
Nice one Chris  ;D

How many lectures are you doing?

Do say hello to ```Thomas from me and Dominique. He's an old friend.

Are you getting 'back stage' for your photographs?  Hope so.  Exec chef should be Nicholas Oldroid, unless he's on leave.

Keep the posts coming

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2011, 02:16 AM »
Am back on dry land now. 3 lectures in 3 sea days and the whole 90,000 ton ship has been photographed for the book, including all the expected behind the scenes areas - tiring but a great few days at sea.

Met some great people aboard and have some photographs of rare QE2 memorabilia that one passenger had with him from the first World Cruise. I will add these when I've got time. He will likely be joining the forum upon his return home.

Met the Madrina of Queen Elizabeth, Dennie Farmer, during a book signing which was lovely. QE2 is everywhere aboard the new Elizabeth. Paintings, models, photographs abound aboard.

Lectures got good crowds. I did "Cunard - The Early Years", "The White Star Line" and "Cunard's First Queens". Plugged the forum to everyone who spoke to me about QE2. The QE2 books outsold the rest at the book signings, many many ex. QE2 passengers aboard the new Elizabeth wanting a bit of history about her predecessor. Elizabeth's book shop is far superior to that aboard Victoria, and in a far better location.

I will be doing a full review of the ship on my website in due course.

Cheers,

Chris.

PS: Queet-two - sorry I read this too late so couldn't pass on your best wishes, but sure if you email the ship they will pass the message on to Thomas. He misses QE2 dreadfully as you can imagine.

Offline Janice Naylor

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2011, 04:02 PM »
Hi Chris - I enjoyed your photos of the QE.  Once I was into your flicker pages I just clicked through all of them.  I especially liked the photo looking down at the sea.  It was the first time I've seen the "pod" lifeboats ... I found them somehow reassuring.   :D

Janice
Whenever I hear a sea story I think of the first time I saw the QE2 and the great adventures that followed.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:37 AM »
Thanks Janice!

You can make out the TT from her QE2/QM inspired callsign on the top of the boats!

Offline Chris Frame

Lecturing aboard Queen Elizabeth: Blog.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2011, 02:09 PM »
Thought you may be interested in this :)
http://wearecunard.com/2011/03/guest-blog-–-lecturing-aboard-queen-elizabeth-during-her-maiden-australian-calls/

Offline Clyde Paddler

Re: Lecturing aboard Queen Elizabeth: Blog.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Thanks Chris - that's a really good insight!   :)
HELEN
Harrogate, UK

Offline Chris Frame

Re: Lecturing aboard Queen Elizabeth: Blog.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2011, 03:09 PM »
Thanks Helen :)

Offline andyh

« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Hi all

On board Queen Elizabeth now heading at full speed for Port Said tomorrow for a long day of tours, one of the ports has been cancelled (Ashdod) for securty reasons, but all the trips are going to be run from Hiafa,(staying 2 days) so that willl mean a couple of long days, Greece next week  ??? not sure what the wecome there will be it the present clmate, hopefully it will be ok

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2011, 06:32 PM »
Hope you enjoy the cruise Andy.  Looking forward to hearing more about the ports of call. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Andy F

« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2011, 01:53 AM »
Hi all

On board Queen Elizabeth now heading at full speed for Port Said tomorrow for a long day of tours, one of the ports has been cancelled (Ashdod) for securty reasons, but all the trips are going to be run from Hiafa,(staying 2 days) so that willl mean a couple of long days, Greece next week  ??? not sure what the wecome there will be it the present clmate, hopefully it will be ok

Hope you enjoyed the voyage Andy - Mrs F and I were on board for this one also
Start every day with a smile and get it over with