Author Topic: Elizabeth - General Discussion  (Read 94406 times)

Offline highlander0108

Re: Elizabeth - General Discussion
« Reply #285 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:52 AM »
I wonder if that whistle heard before and during the back and forth is mounted on a ship or a building?  QE sounds like QV to me anyway.  I thought the QV sound was not bad at all, hearing it in person, but of course, no comparision to QE2.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #286 on: Oct 04, 2010, 06:34 PM »
I'm going to take a picture of the third Queen Elizabeth with me on Wednesday to a day centre I go to and I'll show it to a gentleman I know and see what he thinks of the new QE. He use to help the liners out of port by tugs and he saw QE2.

I'll post back and tell you all if he likes her or not.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2010, 06:42 PM by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #287 on: Oct 21, 2010, 11:03 AM »
I spluttered a bit last night when I found QE(3) described on You Tube as an RMS....
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #288 on: Oct 21, 2010, 04:19 PM »
I spluttered a bit last night when I found QE(3) described on You Tube as an RMS....

As Victor Meldrew would say

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!

words fail me!

But I think Cunard have managed this all by themselves by promoting the vista jobs as liners... they are trying to brainwash the world with this statement,,,.and lets be fair the general public ALWAYS think  Cunard have only liners  so it ends up a very confusing scenario all around...
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010, 06:24 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #289 on: Oct 21, 2010, 04:49 PM »
I have been looking around the Cunard website a bit during quiet moments this afternoon and I notice one or two interesting points:

1) Menus - click on the QE menus and they link to the QV menus ( look at the URL on the window the page opens in ).  So I'm guessing that even the food is completely identical between the two; the menus also do not look any different from those on QM2?  Just wondering whether each of the three ships offers the same menu on the same day even?

2) Now, I'm sure that I recall having a cooked bacon and eggs type breakfast on QE2 but the option appears to be absent from the current vessels?  Or does it just not appear on the example breakfast menu page on the website?  ( Or do I need to go to Specsavers?! )

3) Little surprise that the same photographs are used for the accomodation areas on both QE and QV as the ships are twins, but what does surprise me is that the style of the cabins is completely different from the style of the public areas of the ships - I had been hoping to find that a few cabins were in a matching 1930s look wood decor style.

4) Going back to the accomodation, I found the Britannia oceaview cabin pictures with the large double window, but how near to the waterline are these cabins?  Are they close enough to experience the same effect of water rushing past while at sea as with the M4 and M5 on QE2?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #290 on: Oct 21, 2010, 06:28 PM »
  2) Now, I'm sure that I recall having a cooked bacon and eggs type breakfast on QE2 but the option appears to be absent from the current vessels?  Or does it just not appear on the example breakfast menu page on the website?  ( Or do I need to go to Specsavers?! )

I can see the option for Fried or scrambled eggs, but nothing for boiled eggs
And the bacon choices are there, loved the American bacon on QE2

Im traumatised to see no option for cinnamon toast, That was always a firm favourite on my plate on QE2   
There does appear to be more a menu style with choices where as l like to build my own so to speak, And who wouldnt kill for a QE2 lido breakfast..

Interesting to hear on the QE from a few single travellers is that on QM2 its nearly impossible to find a table by yourself, and when you do find a table and need to get your next items if you leave by the time you come back its all cleared away and taken by fellow travellers and so the hunt for a table continues, one friend recently told me he had 4 tables for breakfast.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #291 on: Oct 21, 2010, 06:50 PM »
And pray for us lazy mortals who have breakfast wheeled into ones stateroom..!! ;) ;).the full cooked monty.....complete with danish pastries all beautifully presented on little lacy doilles...

dont tell me it's now just a continental brekky I can have in bed?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #292 on: Oct 21, 2010, 09:44 PM »
Cruise princess, Working in a hotel, you have no idea what a nightmare it is to provide the hot breakfast to the rooms. Its the one thing l really hate doing, Granted on QE2 the room service cards are great help and the stewards are forwarned what is required and how many. There is nothing worse than being half way to a room and realising something is missing, and then you get to hear oh this was cold or that didnt suit, and then if you need to remove the tray(s) and find they havent eaten it all, that makes my blood boil.
Mindyou l had no qualms at ordering the late night BLTs with assorted extras, so maybe l had better shut up ;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #293 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:34 PM »
dont tell me it's now just a continental brekky I can have in bed?

If the QE offers the same breakfast choices as the QV then that will be fine with me. 

The breakfast served in our cabin gave a wide choice which included a cooked breakfast if that was what you wanted or you could have a lighter breakfast choice such as fruit, cereal, coffee croisants, danish pastries etc. and of course there is the option to sit on your balcony to eat your breakfast. 

Breakfast served in the Britannia restaurant gave a good choice with some extra choices such as smoked salmon and scrambled egg or bagles which is my favourite. I have seen table companions being served boiled eggs if that was what they wanted.  But cannot remember if cinnamon toast was an option. 

The choice in the QV Lido was excellent but I like a more relaxed breakfast experience and felt that the Lido could be a bit busy.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Cruise_Princess

« Reply #294 on: Oct 22, 2010, 10:25 AM »
so maybe l had better shut up ;)

YES!!
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
its the one wee luxury I look fwd to on board!    ;)

Though admittedly I wouldn't like to carry that huge tray!
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2010, 01:31 PM by Cruise_Princess »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #295 on: Nov 02, 2010, 07:59 AM »
The Ultimate in Luxury and Design: Desso Carpet Featured in New Cunard 'Queen ...
http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=302417
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2010, 08:01 AM by Twynkle »

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #296 on: Nov 07, 2010, 08:56 AM »
News of passengers who have sailed on the Three Elizabeths and a celebration on MV Queen Elizabeth.
http://wearecunard.com/2010/11/queen-elizabeth-settles-in-to-her-second-voyage/

When MV QE meets QE2, hopefully there will be all due recognition given to QE2 and her amazing capacity to survive!

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #297 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:00 PM »
And while I was looking at the lovely cover photo of the QEII bust from QE2 on Cruise Business Review, I discovered this article/review of QE:

http://www.cruisebusiness.com/images/magazines/2010_03/special-report/Pages_76-89_cbr_3_2010a.pdf

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #298 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:01 AM »
The second image of Queen Elizabeth beneath the rainbow ('portrait') is one that I took during her first TA crossing in tandem with Queen Victoria - lol!
http://wearecunard.com/2011/01/queen-elizabeth-and-queen-victoria’s-historic-tandem-crossing/

Offline QE2 whistle

« Reply #299 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Queen Elizabeth is going through the Panama Canal tomorrow (Saturday).  See www.pancanal.com.

Queen Elizabeth & Queen Mary 2 in Stavanger

Started by shipnshoreBoard The Cruise Queens (QV, QE & QA)

Replies: 5
Views: 2538
Last post Jul 24, 2013, 08:50 AM
by shipnshore
Princess Elizabeth on the Sea Trials

Started by Michael GallagherBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 0
Views: 1509
Last post Jun 13, 2018, 02:24 PM
by Michael Gallagher
Queen Elizabeth 2 stops in New Orleans

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 1990s

Replies: 2
Views: 3181
Last post Jan 06, 2011, 09:57 PM
by Bob C.
Queen Elizabeth First Voyage

Started by ChrisBoard RMS Queen Elizabeth (1940)

Replies: 0
Views: 572
Last post Mar 12, 2020, 10:25 AM
by Chris
2 March 2020: RMS Queen Elizabeth - the forgotten Queen

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Past Events

Replies: 10
Views: 1403
Last post Mar 06, 2020, 08:17 AM
by Clydebuilt1971