Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Elizabeth - General Discussion  (Read 65963 times)

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Another Queen Elizabeth...
« Reply #80 on: Nov 15, 2009, 10:47 PM »
You're so right!  Olympic would have been a brilliant name for her, and far more imaginative too.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #81 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Personally I prefer Mauretania ;)

Online Twynkle

« Reply #82 on: Nov 24, 2009, 08:40 AM »
This timing of this is extraordinary..
'The Queen is.....' Long Live QE2

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2009/11/new-cunard-queen-gets-her-name.html

and as Rob noted yesterday!
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,759.0.html
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #83 on: Nov 24, 2009, 11:54 AM »
What happened to the days when ships were named at their launch ceremony, and everyone was left guessing until then...?!?

.... and was given the chance to change their minds about the name too...  !

Of course, now that I mention it, what happened to ships being launched?

LegendOfTheSeas

« Reply #84 on: Nov 24, 2009, 12:58 PM »
What happened to the days when ships were named at their launch ceremony, and everyone was left guessing until then...?!?

.... and was given the chance to change their minds about the name too...  !

Of course, now that I mention it, what happened to ships being launched?

It was nice when ships were properly launched - it was spectacular. These days, they're built in covered dry docks and floated out.

Offline luzparis

« Reply #85 on: Nov 24, 2009, 08:03 PM »
the video of QE construction in Italy  :o

Online Twynkle

« Reply #86 on: Nov 28, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Looking at 'Elizabeth' from the 'inside' !!
http://wearecunard.com/
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #87 on: Dec 03, 2009, 01:37 PM »
All those suggestions of diverging from the official naming script missed out the obvious one:

"I name this floating block of flats.....! ;D
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline pete cain

« Reply #88 on: Dec 03, 2009, 07:40 PM »
2 mins into the video blog Alastair calls it  a liner, think we should put him right before it becomes a habit? and what's that big round thingy on the bow section , is it a gun mounting? (not that I give a damn just vaguely interested)

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

Re: Queen Elizabeth (2010)
« Reply #89 on: Dec 13, 2009, 12:19 PM »
I must say I hope if the Queen does name it I hope she calls it something else. She did with QE2.
I want to see a ship not a floating block of flates.
« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2009, 12:23 PM by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2 »

Offline Matt

« Reply #90 on: Dec 13, 2009, 12:29 PM »
'I name this ship, one ugly piece of ship! May God bless her and all who sail in her!'

See the Queen saying it? haha
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #91 on: Dec 13, 2009, 07:36 PM »
My God, does she EVER wear ANYTHING else!

I can imagine her in bed with that rigout on!

No comment....BUT could you manage a crossing on QE2 with only one tiny suitcase, Heck my make up travels in a larger case that this...

For the record In New York at the passenger ship terminal on QE2s last visit.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #92 on: Dec 13, 2009, 08:57 PM »
'I name this ship, one ugly piece of ship! May God bless her and all who sail in her!'

See the Queen saying it? haha

In our virtual "QE2Story.com World Cruise", we encountered a legendary ship called RMS USOTA, whose name (Ugliest Sister Of Them All) might just suit the new Queen Elizabeth... ?    ;D

Online Twynkle

« Reply #93 on: Dec 13, 2009, 10:05 PM »
Er...
Hmmm....
Yes, Isabelle....
but...the RMS USOTA is/was unique
ss queen elizabeth MMX isn't! -
She's a Vista-sista for starters, and a Cunarder into the bargain!

And...does anyone know something about the novel use of the word - 'Godparent', as in 'naming' ships?
Has any ship acquired a Godfather yet?
Does this sort of Godparent have other responsibilities?
I wonder too, when a ship is sold, is there a new naming ceremony? - What happens to the original Godparent, does this person become an ex as well?

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2009, 10:50 PM by Twynkle »

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #94 on: Dec 14, 2009, 12:21 AM »
And...does anyone know something about the novel use of the word - 'Godparent', as in 'naming' ships?
Has any ship acquired a Godfather yet?

I think the new Costa ships should have Godfathers...... ;D
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Matt

« Reply #95 on: Dec 14, 2009, 04:52 AM »

I wonder too, when a ship is sold, is there a new naming ceremony? - What happens to the original Godparent, does this person become an ex as well?

Hey Rosie,

Hope your well. I cannot answer your early questions as I don’t know much on the 'God parent/Father' business, However I know Princess Cruises have re-launched the Tahitian Princess as Ocean Princess, and on their website, you can sign up as an honorary Godparent of the ship!

Yes, when a ship is sold to a new company, or even transferred within a fleet (One Carnival company to another for example), there is a new naming ceremony for the ship. I suppose this is the way that the new company introduces there new ship, with maximum interest, and as publicity and advertising too. Also they often have a ‘Maiden Voyage’ as well, even if the ship has been sailing for years before hand, again to get people to sail this is, and hopefully have a sell-out. I suppose it is ‘Maiden’ under the new name, but not for the ship!

Anyway, this recently occurred in Australia, on Saturday the 12th of December this year, Last weekend in fact. The ship Ocean Village 2 was transferred from the Ocean Village fleet to the P&O Cruises Australia fleet, and re-named Pacific Jewel. P&O Australia had a naming ceremony for this ship on Saturday, where it was officially named Pacific Jewel followed by a Maiden Voyage the next day. This ship now has a new ‘Godparent’ or person who officially named the ship; however I don’t believe P&O Australia call it ‘Godparent’. The Governor-General, Quentin Bryce was who named and launched the new ship. The same thing happened with Pacific Dawn, when this was transferred from Princess Fleet, famous Australian athlete Cathy Freeman launched the ship, and became the Godparent for P&O Australia to this ship.

I don’t know if the previous Godparents become ‘ex’ once the ship leaves the fleet, I would imagine so as a new one is appointed, however I am not entirely sure on this.

I hope this helps, and hopefully answers a few of your questions my dear.

Regards,
Matt
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2009, 04:58 AM by Beepers »

Online skilly56

« Reply #96 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:08 AM »
Hi Matt,

Re the OV2 being based in Australia, next December they are going to do it again - the original Ocean Village (ex Arcadia 2) is being 're-christened' as the 'Pacific Pearl' and is going to based in Auckland. Ship is being advertised full page in the county's biggest newspaper here at the moment as "P&O Cruises newest cruise ship" (pardon me, she's already 20 years old!). Still, it has to be better than the sorry sagas that have been going on in the older ships that have been operating down here.

Skilly

Offline Matt

« Reply #97 on: Dec 14, 2009, 12:45 PM »
Hi Matt,

Re the OV2 being based in Australia, next December they are going to do it again - the original Ocean Village (ex Arcadia 2) is being 're-christened' as the 'Pacific Pearl' and is going to based in Auckland. Ship is being advertised full page in the county's biggest newspaper here at the moment as "P&O Cruises newest cruise ship" (pardon me, she's already 20 years old!). Still, it has to be better than the sorry sagas that have been going on in the older ships that have been operating down here.

Skilly

Yes! i did hear about this Skilly, Not so new hey! 20 Years! But it will be good as it is ex Arcadia, so atleast it once was a fairly great ship isuppose! haha.

Matt

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #98 on: Dec 14, 2009, 01:01 PM »
No comment....BUT could you manage a crossing on QE2 with only one tiny suitcase, Heck my make up travels in a larger case that this...
(Image removed from quote.)
For the record In New York at the passenger ship terminal on QE2s last visit.

Well, she only had that one outfit to wear so that lightens the luggage up a bit.  :o  Have you ever seen her in anything else?  I wonder what she wore on formal nights?   :-\
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Matt

« Reply #99 on: Dec 14, 2009, 01:34 PM »