Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Elizabeth - General Discussion  (Read 65924 times)

Online cunardqueen

Re: Has anybody booked to go on the Queen Elizabeth ?
« Reply #40 on: Apr 14, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Hi Andy
  I got word today from my travel agent that lm on the 5 nighter, booked a GTY cabin and paying the single suppliment, so all in all lm a happy bunny, more excited about this ship than the previous two. How long that will last goodness knows.
 Good for you getting on the Maiden Voyage.
 My agent did let slip that the reservations system crashed that day and Cunard called some of the top agents back.
 cheers
  Myles 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

KEV

« Reply #41 on: Apr 14, 2009, 04:03 PM »
Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone has book a voyage on the new Queen Elizabeth
We have managed to get a place on the Maiden Voyage next October, and as we have never been on a Maiden Voyage before, wondered if there was anything special we could expect

There is a chance of expecting a special surprise in that the ship won't be there as it's still being built in the shipyard.....

No seriously Andy well done for getting on her and hope you have a glorious trip

Offline Andy F

« Reply #42 on: Apr 14, 2009, 04:21 PM »
There is a chance of expecting a special surprise in that the ship won't be there as it's still being built in the shipyard.....
Given the rate they knock them out nowadays I'm sure she'll make it on time, although whether she's actually finished or not's another matter lol! 

...more excited about this ship than the previous two. How long that will last goodness knows.
  Myles, how could you say such things? 

Seriously though guys, I'm delighted for you both and hope you have a great time.  As for me, I'll be watching somewhere shoreside no doubt as you glide serenely past!
Start every day with a smile and get it over with

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #43 on: Apr 14, 2009, 04:57 PM »
Quote from: Cunardqueen on Today at 03:51:01 PM
...more excited about this ship than the previous two. How long that will last goodness knows.
  Myles, how could you say such things? 

Andy F, l can say it quite easily!! seriously though l do realise a trip on QM2 is something l have to do at some stage,
Its the name Queen Elizabeth that appeals to me,memories of a by gone era and all that, perhaps l have been reading to much Cunard blurb. But Queen Victoria, that to me is nothing more than an aged old Queen, and as yet has failed to grasp me .... ::)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Andy F

« Reply #44 on: Apr 14, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Fair point Myles and in fairness to the 'Vista Sistas', you can't really knock them until you try them.  As I've already said elsewhere, I shall be trying out Victoria next month and will no doubt do the same with Elizabeth sometime 2011 most likely.  However, I shall approach both in the same way as I did QM2 and experience them for what they are rather than try to compare with QE2.  Although I liked her, QM2 is not everyone's cup of tea and I dare say the Vistas will be the same but it's a matter of personal choice at the end of the day. 

Talking of aged old Queens, one wonders how QE2 was received initially by those who hitherto had experienced her predecessors.  Completely different I know, for like her illustrious sisters before her, she was a one-off, built on Clydeside and intended to serve as a true ocean liner rather than based on a mass produced design but no doubt she caused a stir at the time among the Cunard faithful.   

Croquet anyone?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #45 on: Apr 14, 2009, 06:46 PM »
one wonders how QE2 was received initially by those who hitherto had experienced her predecessors.  Completely different I know, for like her illustrious sisters before her,

From the waterline up to boat deck, from the outside, QE2 looked very like every liner that had gone before her.  Row upon row of Portholes, then the prom-deck windows (x2), then the long row of lifeboats on boat deck, the bridge, that actually was a bridge - i.e. "flying"... the tiererd stern - i can look at pictures of QE1, QM1, Normandie and even older and see so much in common with QE2.  The new ships look wildly different to QE2, and every ship that went before, even the QM2.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: Apr 14, 2009, 06:49 PM »

Its the name Queen Elizabeth that appeals to me,memories of a by gone era and all that, perhaps l have been reading to much Cunard blurb.

On my goodness Myles, you just became Carnival's PR Departments dream come true!! 

I'd be much more favourably inclined to the ship (and QV) if they weren't called Queens. Its sacrilege - sacrilege I say!!

<mutter....>

Offline Andy F

« Reply #47 on: Apr 14, 2009, 08:15 PM »
Hehe, I was waiting for a suitable response from Mr L on the subject lol!

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #48 on: Apr 14, 2009, 09:56 PM »
<mutter....>

Don't mutter - shout it as loud as you can! THEY ARE NOT QUEENS >:(

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #49 on: Apr 15, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Maybe Princesses (but another cruise line - Carniprincess) holds those titles. Maybe they could be Dames (as in knighted ladies) BUT NOT TRUE QUEENS. But I bet i am a voice in the wilderness on that.

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #50 on: Apr 15, 2009, 10:43 AM »
NOT TRUE QUEENS.

But I bet i am a voice in the wilderness on that.

I don't think so, at least you're not on this site :)

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #51 on: Apr 19, 2009, 02:56 AM »
I took my jaundiced eye to Princes Wharf to view the Q Vista, or Vicky Brown, and was not too impressed. Altho the people waiting to board her certainly seemed happy to be joining her. I will also go to see Q Tin Lizzie when she comes to Auckland. I am slightly curious about her, she is supposed to be Arty Deco (I hope not Carni -tackiness) and I would be interested to hear any one's views about both Vista-dames (my new insulting name for them, until further impressed) I might even start collecting QMdG brochures, but I understand Singlmalts longing for her fave red funnel, not QMdG's one.

Offline Avariel

« Reply #52 on: Apr 20, 2009, 02:30 AM »
I probably will be outcast for saying this but ...

I'm hoping to see the Queen Elizabeth next year - don't have much hope of getting on any of the maiden voyages though. I don't have the money for that.

*avoids bricks and other thrown objects*

Offline Waverley

New Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Quote. "The ships design incorporates aspects of the QE2 and the original Queen Elizabeth!!!"

http://www.gadling.com/2009/03/30/details-about-the-cunard-ship-the-queen-elizabeth/
Robert

Online Twynkle

Re: Another Queen Elizabeth...
« Reply #54 on: Jul 01, 2009, 08:16 PM »

The 'Another Queen Elizabeth' has her keel laid tomorrow.

Yet Another Queen Elizabeth is becoming a warship - that doesn't seem right either, does it?
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2009, 08:18 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #55 on: Jul 01, 2009, 08:47 PM »
The 'Another Queen Elizabeth' has her keel laid tomorrow.

An absolute TRAVESTY.  To name a crappy, run of the mill, bog-standard, production-line cruise ship after possibly THE ULTIMATE LINER!  The Queen Elizabeth, that epic, custom-built pride of Britain, through-and-through, absolutely state of the art.  She was designed to take on the world, and she did!  Storming out of her fitting out berth, and across that Atlantic at over 30 knots to evade the enemy.  AWESOME.  How very dare they use the name on a cruise ship

Yet Another Queen Elizabeth is becoming a warship - that doesn't seem right either, does it?

I have no problem with that at all.  Its still a proper warship, built for a purpose, just like the first one.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/surface-fleet/future-ships/queen-elizabeth-class/history-of-hms-queen-elizabeth/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Queen_Elizabeth_(1913)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Queen_Elizabeth_(CVF)

Online Twynkle

« Reply #56 on: Jul 01, 2009, 10:00 PM »

1963  Southampton to New York aboard Queen Elizabeth
It was a bit rough then too!
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #57 on: Jul 02, 2009, 11:38 AM »
Just about managing to contain myself in my comment.

http://www.thisishampshire.net/news/4470036.Keel_laying_ceremony_for_Queen_Elizabeth/

I have nothing against the ship herself, I'm sure she'll be lovely and highly competitive.  But couldn't they have picked a non-Queen name from this list?  http://www.cunard.co.uk/AboutCunard/default.asp?Active=Heritage&Sub=GetShipService  (this goes for QV too, but at least she isn't named after a great ship).  As I've said elsewhere, I believe QM2 is a pretty awesome and unique creation, and they undermine her, completely, by naming their cruise boxes as Queens too.  There was more, much more, to Cunard than the Queens, but the legeld of the Cunard Queens needs treasured not trashed.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #58 on: Jul 02, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Cunard Press Release:-

http://www.cunard.co.uk/news/default.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=7663&Active=News

Cunard - PLEASE stop referring to her as a successor to the QE2?!  OR have I missed something, and she IS going to do 5 night crossings to New York and clock up 6 million miles over 40 years at an average speed of over 25 knots?  

But I do hope, of course, that the weather is kind in January 2011 when she makes her tandem 8 night (or will it be 9?) transatlantic crossing with her identical sister ship.

Bah.
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2009, 11:54 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Chris Frame

Queen Elizabeth Keel Laid
« Reply #59 on: Jul 14, 2009, 03:32 PM »
For anyone following the progress with the forthcoming Queen Elizabeth however the keel was laid on July 2.

Video and image from Cunard here:

http://www.chriscunard.com/about-QE.htm

Cheers,

Chris.