Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Elizabeth - General Discussion  (Read 65925 times)

Tom

Re: Queen Elizabeth (2010)
« Reply #180 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:11 AM »
It doesn't seem like the passengers in this court case were experienced cruisers, and didn't seem to understand the concept that they were on a moving ship at sea.  I personally believe the whole thing is an overreaction to something that really isn't an issue at all.

I followed that link to the Lloyd's Register Vessel Status page, yet I couldn't find any mention of any sort of crack, let alone any sort of issues with the ship.  Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong page?  Could you help point me in the right direction?  Even if there were cracks in the ship's hull, it isn't unheard of for ships to develop cracks in service.  Look at QE2's patch covered aluminum superstructure.  Not quite the same thing, but it shows that the problem is completely manageable with proper care.

Looking forward to a reply from Cunard about this, but I still doubt that they would try to "get out in front of this issue and deal with it".  The news surrounding it has died down, and I'm sure Cunard is smart enough not to bring up bad publicity.  Do you remember any official Cunard statements about the metal fatigue in QE2's aluminum superstructure?  They dealt with it properly, but didn't go out of their way to mention anything about it publicly.  Why would they do any different now?

richc1977

« Reply #181 on: Jan 18, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I'm sure lessons learnt will be applied to the new QE.

So do we go on the ugly stronger one, or the slightly less ugly flexing one?

It does make you wonder the wisdom of choosing the Vista class for vessels that would be crossing the Atlantic.  It can't be good for them structurally, to be compromised in this way.

My first voyage on the QE2 on 2 deck pretty much as far forward as you could go, I slept like a log!  I would have no issue sleeping in a forward cabin on her again!  But the QV and QE..........

Online Twynkle

« Reply #182 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:56 AM »
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 11:01 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Chris Frame

The Three Elizabeth's - an image
« Reply #183 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:37 AM »

Offline Chris Frame

QE (3) and Britannia Image
« Reply #184 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:40 AM »
Is this an edited version of the one hung aboard QE2?

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #185 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:05 AM »
It sure looks like it and they used Queen Victoria for the image as well.  It does not have the "toilet seat" change for the sports area above the bridge shown.   :o
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline citrail

« Reply #186 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:45 PM »
is this the QE in Italy, taken today from the new Costa Deliziosa webcam?

Online Bob C.

« Reply #187 on: Jan 24, 2010, 10:53 PM »
Not QE.  Livery on funnels is Holland America Line.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #188 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:00 PM »
It must be the Nieuw Amsterdam, sistership to the Eurodam and the QV/QV cousins.

Offline citrail

« Reply #189 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Thanks for the info, that's one of the troubles with these new ships, they all look the same. Well, excluding the Norwegian Epic that is! :o

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #190 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:15 PM »
I'm guessing, knowing that the Nieuw Amsterdam is a sistership to Eurodam, and that Fincantieri is building all the Vista's or whatever they are calling them now for Carnival Corp.  I wonder if they get a discount since they are churning these out quite frequently now?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #191 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:18 PM »
It must be the Nieuw Amsterdam, sistership to the Eurodam and the QV/QV cousins.
snigger  ::)
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #192 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:37 PM »
Their ugliness is obviously genetic.  Had to look up that word too, snigger, that is!  There isn't an icon to describe my stomach churning I get when I see one of the Vistas from the selections above Rob, yet.  ;D

Okay, now back to the most beautiful ship in the world.  ;D

Online pete cain

Float out of the new Cunard (queen)
« Reply #193 on: Jan 26, 2010, 04:26 PM »
I came upon these shots   http://maritimematters.com/QEtransfer.html, on Google c/o Maritime matters, I'm not the least bit interested in this vessel except for photos 9, 10 , 11. What the h*** is that big glasshouse thingy atop the bridge, is it permanent, or just for the build process??. If it's permanent ,  then they've rendered another ugly duckling into something else completely, hpoe it's well anchored down.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 04:29 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Matt

« Reply #194 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:37 AM »
I came upon these shots   http://maritimematters.com/QEtransfer.html, on Google c/o Maritime matters, I'm not the least bit interested in this vessel except for photos 9, 10 , 11. What the h*** is that big glasshouse thingy atop the bridge, is it permanent, or just for the build process??. If it's permanent ,  then they've rendered another ugly duckling into something else completely, hpoe it's well anchored down.

It is the canvas covering for the 'Games Deck' and yes, its permanent!! :-X
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #195 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:49 AM »
Translation: Back up sail in case of loss of engine power... ;D
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #196 on: Jan 28, 2010, 06:53 AM »
Rolling, rolling on floor laughing. So when I go to view this new q

cos918

the new one
« Reply #197 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:38 PM »
Found this on the net . That not a liner but a car ferry with out the cars.

John

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #198 on: Feb 11, 2010, 12:13 AM »
*wipes results of spluttering off screen*
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #199 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:16 AM »
What a fugly stern. Looks worse than a box-boat (container ship)! I really will have to protect my glasses and camera when I view THIS ship!